“Great 4 night stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Ireland
“Great 4 night stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We returned to the Sheraton Hotel for my partners birthday,once again we had the most enjoyable stay. The staff were lovely and helpful. We had dinner included each night as part of our package and the restaurant staff really looked after us, the chef even made a main course for me that was not on the menu which I really appreciated. The room was spacious and clean, very comfortable. We just loved the swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Once again the Sheraton Athlone did not fail to impress. We will be returning again. Thank you to all the staff for looking after us so well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear “Liz2901”,
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and would like to thank you for returning to stay with us once again. We are very fortunate to have a team of management and associates who constantly work together to exceed our guest’s expectations.
I look forward to sharing your feedback with Kevin, Juraj and our Restaurant and Kitchen teams. On behalf of the staff here at the hotel thank you once again for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.
Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager,
Sheraton Athlone Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Isn't it a fine hotel a couple commented to me as I entered the lift and indeed it is. From being obliging and letting me checkin at noon on a busy Saturday to helping me print off my boarding pass on a Sunday morning, nothing is too much for the staff. Thank you Mark!

The location is great, right in the middle of town and for me not far from the bus station and right beside the shopping center. My room was on the 7th floor overlooking the town but numbered 4XX so a little confusing as was the arrangement to take the lift to 2 and to go down the hall to get another lift up to 7. A minor design fault

The room was luxurious, spacious and clean. Great big crisp clean bed and very comfortable too. Good sized bathroom with lots of soaps and gels although the towels were a tad worn and not very soft. Tea and coffee making facilities and lots of power points plus the in room wifi worked well too.

The bar and common areas downstairs are very modern and trendy and attract a nice crowd. The indoor pool was well maintained but busy on my visit. Breakfast on Sunday morning was a delight ( I was down early perhaps that's why) lots of space in the breakfast room and a great choice of traditional Irish black and white pudding and sausage and bacon. An unannounced arrival of toast with my pot of tea was a nice touch. Again the staff were very attentive, clearing plates and asking if I wanted more tea or toast. It was a very pleasant experience.

Athlone is very nice town , right by the river and only 1hr 25 minutes from Dublin airport and the Sheraton a good base to stay if you want a little luxury at an affordable price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear “UncleDom”,
Thank you most sincerely for providing such a comprehensive and positive review of your stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.I was delighted to share your comments with the team throughout the hotel who were very proud to receive such wonderful feedback.
It is wonderful to read that you found our breakfast service to be of a high standard. This is an area of great focus for us as it is more often than not the final meal which our guests enjoy before leaving the hotel. In recent months we have been placing a great emphasis on helping our guests to “Colour your Plate”. Working to ensure that our offerings feature colourful, key nutrients from fruits and vegetables. This has the added benefit of bringing a great freshness and flavor to our breakfast buffets.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon and once again thank you for your kind words.
Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager,
Sheraton Athlone Hotel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed in the Sheraton Hotel Athlone on Saturday the 22nd of February. I organised a night away for a group of eight of us, one of whom was celebrating her 40th birthday. Despite telling reservations, the manager on duty and one of the girls on reception they didn't do anything special for the birthday girl. A slice of cake or a glass of prosecco would have been a nice touch. Anyway, the hotel is located in the centre of Athlone, with free parking. We stayed in four twin rooms. The rooms were spotless, modern, and spacious, but didn't have any views. The beds were extremely comfortable with warm bedding, and we all got a good nights sleep. The en-suit bathrooms were beautiful, and had a separate baths and showers, and loads of lovely good quality toiletries. One of the four rooms had a smell of cigarettes coming through the air conditioning, otherwise we had no issues at all. The pool and leisure centre is gorgeous.

After our night out we were going to have one last drink in the residents bar before bed. The residents bar is a small bright room with uncomfortable seating, lacking atmosphere and ambiance, so we just left and went to bed. We went to check out 12.00 hours on the Sunday morning and had to join a very long Que for same. Overall, I would definitely return, its a clean comfortable good value hotel. But I do think the manager should address check out and the residents bar, these are small issues that I feel could be easily resolved. A special thank you to Natasha on reception, who was bright, bubbly and very friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed in the Sheraton Hotel in Athlone for two nights (weekend) in February. When we arrived it was raining, so it was lovely to be able to go into the underground car park and have our own entrance up to the reception. I think the receptionist was having a bad day as he wasn’t the friendliest, where as his other two colleagues were very polite and pleasant.

We made our way to the fifth floor of the Sheraton tower to our deluxe room. The room was beautiful and big, with floor to ceiling windows and views out over the lake. We had a huge Queen sized bed, which was very comfortable, ample wardrobe space, tea and coffee making facilities and a safe. The bathroom was lovely, with a bath and a separate large shower. A nice touch was the speakers in the bathroom, so you could play music while bathing or showering.

The breakfast each morning was very good, with a great selection of cereals, fruit, bread and hot food. The dining room itself was very elegant and a nice place to eat. We had a meal here on the second night, which was beautiful. Good quality food, presented well.

We made use of the pool on our first morning there. It is a lovely area with a lane for swimming, relaxation areas and a Jacuzzi. I would recommend checking when kids lessons are on and ask at the pool reception when is a quite time to go.

We went for spa treatments also, which were excellent. The spa is very well laid out and the staff are pleasant and professional.

The only negative we took from our stay was the bar. It gave the impression that it was thrown in over in the corner and for somewhere that is quite chic, there was a real miss-match of chairs. There is an overflow room behind the bar, but this is dark, bland and un-inviting. Definitely needs some work done to it. We ordered cocktails, which were expensive and were presented very badly and were watered down.

Overall, our stay was lovely, with friendly staff, a beautiful room, nice pool and relaxing spa. Would definitely recommend, but maybe stay out of the bar.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Spent the last 2 nights in this hotel and cant wait to go back.We were so well looked after from start to finish. couldnt recommend this hotel highly enough, amazing .The staff were so friendly throughout the entire hotel and the free parking is a huge plus, well done everyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here with friends in July. Everything about it bar the breakfast was just alright. Breakfast, and the manager on duty were really lovely. The weather was lovely at the time but the only out door area was occupied by a wedding. The way one enters the hotel from the shopping centre was dingy and dirty, truly awful. At night my room mate and I discovered we were in a room which had been modified for disabled persons. Three was an alarm button next to the bathroom door which I accidentally pressed when I was looking for the light switch to go to the bathroom during the night. A long shrill alarm continually sounded. Reception rang up to our room to ask if we needed assistance but we said no, that we'd pressed it accidentally, so we went back to bed but that alarm sounded many more times. My friend phoned down to reception at one stage for assistance, as it was impossible to sleep with that alarm and no body answered in reception. There was an alarm in our room in case of emergencies, and when reception was contacted, no body could be reached. A fine lot of good it was having an alarm in that room. The following morning the man we spoke to at checkout told us that the reason they phoned to see if we needed assistance was so that they could come to our room and disable the alarm. We were not in the habit of setting off alarms in the middle of the night so we were not aware of that fact and the night staff did not explain it to us so we did not know. Furthermore my friend explained to him that she had phoned down later to ask for assistance but that nobody answered. No apology was offered for that. We had a nice stay, because of the company we were in, but the hotel itself was quite disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hiiiflyer
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just spent 5 nights with my bridge friends and I have to say it was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I have travelled a lot on bridge and bowling holidays for many years and for quality and value this hotel can't be beaten. The staff were so helpful throughout our stay and the food was amazing, I will definitely be back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends