“One Night”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Bunclody, Ireland
“One Night”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We only stayed the one night in the Sheraton, but the hotel was very comfortable and the room very good. Food in the bar was lovely, the only thing was the position of the bar it just seemed to small for the type of the hotel and an after thought.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear “Noddy1971”,
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay with us at The Sheraton Athlone hotel and for providing a review of your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you enjoy the food offering in our Sheraton Bar and that our hotel was comfortable with good rooms. It was pleasure to share this feedback with Kevin, Anne Marie and our Kitchen and Accommodation teams.
Your feedback is very important to us and I will certainly re-evaluate the seating arrangements in our bar and lobby areas to ensure we have plenty of space for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Sheraton Athlone Hote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Having recently returned from a weekend at the Sheraton Athlone Hotel, I can safely recommend this hotel to any large group looking to get away for a weekend. We were a large gathering of friends and family who came to have an enjoyable weekend in Athlone. We were greeted by very hospitable and professional staff in the Sheraton. The rooms were great, not that we saw them much! The food in the restaurant was excellent and the service was exceptional, considering the fact that we were a large table of 24 people. Breakfast was lovely on both mornings even though we all came down very late, the food was still fresh and very well presented. Overall we were very happy with our weekend in Athlone, and this was greatly enhanced by all the team in the Sheraton Athlone. Looking forward to our next visit!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Diarmuid,
It was a great pleasure to welcome you and your fellow guests to Athlone and to The Sheraton. I am delighted to read that things went so well and more particularly that you are looking forward to a return visit. It is wonderful to know that you would recommend us following your experience.
I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team at our weekly review of guest feedback.
All the best for now and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for a night in February and it was lovely. The hotel staff provided excellent customer service and couldn't have been more helpful. The room was very big and modern, it exceeded expectations. The hotel is located right in the middle of town and it is close to the bus & train station. We ate in the hotel restaurant and the service was first class. We thought the food was lovely but it is probably a bit pricier than eating in the town. Breakfast the next day was delicious and there was a good selection of hot and cold food. The shopping centre is accessible from the hotel which was handy. The two main downsides were the terrible WiFi in the room and the pool. The pool itself was nice but there were back to back swimming lessons and classes on the evening we were there which meant we couldn't actually swim in the pool. This was disappointing as we had not been given prior notice and we were really looking forward to a relaxing swim. Overall the hotel is excellent value and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear “Aisling Mack”,
On behalf of myself and the team here at The Sheraton I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing a review of your experience, your opinion is very important to us.
I am delighted to read that you found our location and the quality of our food and service to be excellent.
My sincerest apologies in relation to the issues you encountered in relation to the wifi signal and swimming lessons. I have asked our IT manager to carry out on an audit of our bedrooms and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with me further if you would like to contact me on generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com . The provision of swimming lessons should in no way impact on our guest’s use of the pool in our Sheraton Fitness Facilities and I am most sorry about this. Thank you for highlighting this and I will be working with our leisure centre manager to ensure that this does not occur in the future.
Finally thank you for your very kind words about the staff here at the hotel and I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Sheraton Hotel last Weekend for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The rooms are lovely , spacious bright and airy. The Management and Staff could not do enough for us. Lovely food, Music in Bar on both nights, Friday and Saturday which was very enjoyable. The Leisure Centre is great, and the hotel is situated right in the centre of the town, so plenty of shops nearby. We shall definitely be back in the near future. Christy and Susan Waters.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christy W
Dear Christy and Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us and for staying at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you found that the management and staff could not do enough for you. It is our common goal to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is always wonderful to hear that we have achieved this.
It’s great to read that you will be staying with us again in the near future and if the opportunity arises to ask for me at reception on your return I would be delighted with the opportunity to welcome you in personally.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This is my third time staying in the Sheraton Athlone. My last visit was about 3years ago for a girls weekend. I enjoyed the stay then so came back.
We are staying in a tower room which has nice views. It's very clean. However there is no water in the room and the mini bar is empty. I have never seen that before. The bathroom had no cotton pads or cotton wool. Someone is smoking in another room and the smell is very strong in my room, a non smoking room. I was looking forward to a relaxing morning in bed with newspaper but the smell was too strong for me to stay in room. The room has no wifi signal.
These may be small things to someone but not what I would expect in a 4 star hotel.
In saying that when I checked in Deirdre at reception was very nice to deal with.
We had dinner in the bar. I had quiche Lorraine with side salad and hand cut fries. This was also disappointing. The quiche was smothered in cheese that I couldn't taste the egg. The side salad was two tomato slices and some water cress. The hand cut chips were hand cut by a machine!

Overall it's fine for a night but after a great stay here before I was very disappointed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whe1o
Dear “Whe1o”,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. I am very sorry that you found your experience with us to be disappointing and I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com so that I can apologise personally and discuss your feedback with you.
We have an infrastructure in place to provide wifi to all of our bedrooms and I have asked our IT manager to carry out a full audit of where there may be signal issues. My apologies about this.
Our mini bars are stocked on request and I apologise if the sign was not in your room advising your of this. This system is generally well received by our guests, but we are certainly open to reviewing this. While we do not provide bottled water in all of our bedrooms, our water throughout the building is from our own wells and is suitable for drinking. Having discussed your feedback we are sourcing signage for our bedrooms to advise our guests of this.
There is no excuse for the behaviour of smoking in areas of the hotel that are designated non smoking, and while our team will do their best to manage the matter on the occasions that it occurs, I am extremely sorry for your experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hopefully recovering your faith in the quality of our service and thank you once again for providing us with this valuable feedback.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

stayed here valentines weekend and i could not fault the hotel. excellent food, service, rooms, staff, facilities, stay here and you wont be disappointed :) our meal on the friday was 5 star quality, the service was quick and efficient, the breakfast the next morning was tasty and the staff we always around to help, the reception staff were friendly and efficient, the room in the tower was unreal, full view of athlone. something like out of a film, room was fab in itself with memory foam mattress, big en suite with a shower and bath, sizable room overall. couldnt fault the hotel at all, was so impressed!

Room Tip: ask for a room in the tower. floor to ceiling glass windows, exceptional view.
1 Thank karenk0284
Dear “Karenk0248”,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a lovely review of your time with us and I am delighted to read that you felt that the meal in our La Provence Restaurant was 5 star. I was delighted to share this feedback with Juraj, Kevin, and the teams in the Kitchen and La Provence.

Our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are specially designed to promote blood flow and minimize restlessness during sleep and have been a source of wonderful feedback from our guests. I am delighted to read that you enjoy this aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon and wish you the very best in the meantime.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I am very impressed with the excellent customer service at this hotel. Everyone from Reception especially Deidre who helped me with a City Link booking by paying with her credit card so, I would have a seat on the bus to Dublin Airport. So, I would not have two credit card charges regarding currency exchange, and I gave her the Euros for the transportation. Also, Paulina originally from Poland who works in Reception brought me some nice Polish tea to help me with congestion. Also, I must not forget Ann Marie in Reservations who contacted a Ireland tourism office before I arrived, and the Revenue Manager who made sure that everything ran smoothly at my hotel stay.
The hotel is five years old, and has excellent toilets which flush the first time. Guests are given a discount card to use at the Athlone TownCenter under the hotel, and if you present your room key at the castle you can get a discount.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear “Globetrotter10079”,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and I am delighted to read that you found our team to be so welcoming and to have exceeded your expectations during your stay with us.

We are very fortunate to be located in the same development as The Athlone Towncentre Shopping Centre who host an array of national and international retailers. It is great to know that you enjoyed this aspect of our offering and I am delighted that you enjoyed the exclusive Platinum Discount Card which is available to guests of The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.

It was a great pleasure to share your feedback with Paulina, Deirdre, Anne Marie, Berlyn and the entire team. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.