“Very happy stay”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Ireland
“Very happy stay”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I booked the Sheraton as we were attending a wedding of a friend who's reception was held there, my wife made the booking and booked us in room only at a rate of €69 per night for the Classic double room/ room only rate. As I had to work on the day of our arrival we checked in after nine in the evening, Natasha was the girl on the reception and she was very helpful and we even got upgraded to one of the tower rooms with a great view over the city. We found the hotel to be of a very high standard all public areas kept nice and clean and all staff very friendly and helpful.
I have to say its been a while since my wife and enjoyed a wedding meal as much as the meal we had at the Sheraton. The only negative part of the stay was to get from the car park to the room we had to take one escalator and three separate lifts, but apart from that I can say we have already planned to return this summer with the whole family and make use of the hotels leisure facilities and superb location in Athlone.

Room Tip: You could do a lot worse.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear “IrelandTheOne”,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of your experience with us and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding meal so much. Kevin and Gavin, our Executive Chef and Banqueting Manager, take great pride in providing an excellent quality service for such unique and special occasions and I look forward to sharing that you found this to be the case.
We look forward to welcoming you back this summer and on behalf of myself and the team I would like to thank you once again for choosing The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stopped here to have a bite to eat in the lounge while doing some shopping in Athlone recently. This was our second time to eat here and it was equally as brilliant as the first time. We both had the chicken escalope which was really yumme :) Had a really nice dinner and lovely dessert. Staff were very friendly and it is a nice hotel. Will defo return again for some dinner. Good price for great food :)

1 Thank TrionaD1992
Dear “TrionaD1992”,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback following your lunch at The Sheraton Bar.
We were delighted to read that you found the food and service enjoyable and in particular that you found our menu to offer good value. We are in the process of adding several exciting new options to our menu which we hope to launch next weeek. We would welcome your feedback on these should you have the opportunity to return.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Sheraton Athlone Hotel very soon.
Dublin
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel was very easy to find from Dublin. It was a straight road on the Motorway and signposted well once you took Junction 10 off the M6. Check-in by the lovely Natasha was a breeze and she couldn't have been more helpful and offered us a newspaper delivered to our room each morning, which I thought was a lovely touch. Thank goodness she informed us that the Viking Boat Trip's times change and to check with Reception on the day you wish to sail as the times were different than specified on their website. Natasha offered us a room upgrade complimentary, but as I am a smoker, we didn't take her up on the offer as they only have smoking rooms available in their classic rooms. That being said, the classic rooms were more than adequate. Modern, clean and spacious and the bathroom was gorgeous, with a separate shower and bath. There was complimentary still and sparkling water in the room as well, which was very nice. The bed is extremely comfortable, I wish our own bed at home was as comfortable. Our package (2 nights BB&D for €258) included a 3 course dinner and there was plenty of choice and it was top notch. The waiting staff were friendly but not overbearing. My only gripe with the restaurant is it is quite large and open plan, and as we stayed mid week, it was quite empty and you felt a bit lost in the room.

I must say Natasha (the Receptionist) is a credit to the hotel and was so nice and friendly and when I rang down from the room to ask for ice. I just mentioned my first name and she remembered me immediately and called me Mrs. X, which really made the experience much more personal and it was little things like this that really added to our stay.

The breakfast was good, not the best I have had compared to other 4 star hotels in Ireland but it was enjoyable. My husband doesn't eat pork so loves all types of eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms for his hotel breakfast, but there were no mushrooms with the buffet. But the staff were very accommodating and got the chef to cook some mushrooms for him. There was a nice selection of cold meats and cheeses (as well as the usual hot buffet), 2 type of natural yoghurt and plenty of nice fruit and fruit salad, among other things.

The pool was nice, a little small but the ambiance nice and there were a number of different massage jets (lower back, upper back, legs etc) in the Hydrotherapy Pool. The Jacuzzi (or bubble pool as they called it) was only a few degrees warmer than the pool but was nice all the same.

The hotel is right in the centre of the town and is walking distance to everything, which is nice. The downside to a city/town centre hotel, is the views from the room are not great at all but it is expected and you don't come to a hotel to sit and stare out the window.

All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay. It is a lovely hotel and the experience is made more enjoyable and memorable by the friendly staff.

1 Thank monife
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear “Monife”,
I would like to thank you most sincerely on behalf of myself and the team here for taking the time to provide such a wonderful review of your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you found our hotel easy to access and that our associates were friendly but not overbearing. Natasha receives regular feedback in relation to her personal and genuine hospitality and I look forward to reading through your review with her.
There are a number of items on our breakfast buffet which are cooked fresh to order to ensure quality and we will be including additional signage making our guests aware of this.
You might be interested to know that our Sheraton Suite Sleeper Bed is actually available to purchase online if you would like to email sheraton.eame@hotelsathome.com for details.
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Arklow, Ireland
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights with our family and grandchildren, we found the hotel staff were very friendly & helpful, the family rooms were spacious and the food was very good too. The hotel is in the center of the town & the shopping center is right beside it. Athlone Castle is only a short walk from the hotel and while you are there take a river cruise on river Shannon, it is quite interesting & very relaxing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jentze
Dear “Jentze”,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and for taking the time to provide a review of your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you found our hotel to be family friendly. Our Sheraton Adventure Club will be available daily from the end of this month, and our Leisure Concierges are currently participating in the various complimentary activities both here at the hotel and in the surrounding Lakelands and Inlands Waterways Region so that our guests will be kept as informed as possible about the experiences available in the area this summer.
I am delighted to read that you found the newly renovated Athlone Castle and a cruise on The Shannon to be enjoyable. Guests of the Sheraton receive exclusive discounts for Athlone Castle and many of our leisure packages include the choice of a complimentary cruise.
Thank you once again for your review and for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Tipperary
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights over the june bank holiday weekend with my husband and couldn't have been happier with the place. We had a king size room in located in the tower, which at first seemed like a bit of a trek from the lobby but it was well worth it. the room was gorgeous, very clean, spacious and well finished. The en-suite was also immaculate and finished to a very high standards. The front desk staff were lovely and so helpful and the common areas of the hotel were also very well maintained. We found it very central for seeing the town as you are in walking distance to pretty much everywhere. we arrived late on the Saturday night and with door to the car park was closed. we parked in the car park across the street (though this is a pay and display car park 9-6 mon-sat). we only noticed the signs to press the buzzer to be let in to the hotel car park when we were walking past. that could be signposted a little better or at least a little bigger so it can be easily read by approaching drivers. However, apart from that little thing, I couldn't recommend the hotel highly enough. I also had a treatment in the hotel spa, which was great and again, the spa was well maintained and finished to the very high start that I came to expect from the hotel. Could very well be classed as a 5 star hotel, especially when compared to some of the other 4 star hotels I've stayed in around the country.

2 Thank Aine M
Dear “Aine M”,
I would like to thank you most sincerely on behalf of myself and the team here at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel for taking the time to provide such a wonderful review of your experience with us. It was a great pleasure to share the feedback that you felt our hotel would rival 5 star standards with the team at our weekly review.
I will review the signage providing access to the carpark outside of hours and hope to improve this area shortly based on your recommendation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in our Sirana Spa, and would like to congratulate Ross and Dara who received a commendation and distinction in their Failte Ireland inspection this week.
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and we would look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on the 2 june for the night just wanted a night away the hotel is very central relatively easy to find. The place is ideal for shopping as it is located around a new shopping center ideal for shopping. The hotel is well presented staff very nice rooms very clean only down side is when you look out of the window all you see is the back of all the other houses not exactly a pretty view but that's what you get in a hotel in the center of town.The food was excellent had the bar food overall i found the hotel good value would recommend for a city break.

2 Thank adrian l
Dear “Adrian l”,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and for providing a review of your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you found our hotel to be central and clean and I look forward to sharing your feedback regarding the bar food offering with our Bar Manager, Abdalla, and Executive Chef Kevin. We are in the process of adding several exciting new options to our menu which we hope to launch in the next number of weeks. We would welcome your feedback on this should you have the opportunity to return.
Thank you once again for providing us with your review, your opinion is very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It all started with a call late on thursday night looking for a room for the bank holiday weekend for myself and my wife who is 35 weeks pregnant.
Contacted many hotels as it was short notice and only hotel to respond the following morning was the Sheraton Athlone, i got both a lovely email and call from the hotel and they couldnt have been anymore helpful.
We booked a junior suite 482 and arrived saturday around 3pm, it was very busy when we arrived but the staff on the desk at all times kept eye contact with everyone in the que and got around to everyone in very smart time.
I was checked in by Olivia and she was gem to deal with, there was nothing that was a problem and another gent on the desk Dan popped over to explain that the bath wouldnt be suitable for my wife at the stage of her pregnancy and they just wanted to make us aware of this.
I have to say their attention to detail was second to none we have came across in Ireland before, we stay away at least once per month and ive yet to get this level of service anywhere we have stayed.
The weekend from there was nothing short of perfect, we had one small issue i wanted to bring to the staffs attention , it wasnt a complaint it was just something i felt they should know and next thing the manager on duty was with us wanting to make sure we were ok and was there anything extra we needed.
I need to stress the issue was tiny and to get this level of care was above anything we needed.
The food was as good as we have had anywhere in any hotel in ireland, the rooms was beautiful and the feel of the hotel was both comfortable yet with a great touch of style and class.
But most important it is their staff that makes them stand out from any hotel we have stayed with, as i already said we stay away at least once per month and are very fussy customers and this was just a different class, no matter if it was front of house, the bar, restaurant or housekeeping they all go the extra mile and more.
Both myself and my wife agree that Olivia on the from desk deserves a special word of thanks, we never past the desk that we didnt get a smile or a nice word to make sure my wife was ok and you cant pay for this level of attention to detail.
We are checking out in morning after 3 wonderful night but before we leave have spa treatments booked which we both are so looking forward to.
A huge word of thanks to all the staff, all are a huge credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the tower rooms and the view were beautiful for the shannon and watching the sun...
1 Thank QualityServiceNow