“Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
“Probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here recently with my boyfriend. We stayed in a deluxe room, it was a gorgeous room and very spacious. The beds were very comfortable! The staff were friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank justwondering1
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear “justwondering1”,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel and I am delighted to read that you would recommend us following your experience. It is wonderful to be described as “one of the nicest hotels” a guest has stayed in and you are very kind to do so.
Our Sweet Sleeper beds are designed to reduce pressure points and increase circulation in order to promote a restful night’s sleep and I am delighted to read that you found them to be so comfortable.
It will be a pleasure to share your kind feedback in relation to our staff being so friendly at our weekly review of guest feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.
Yours Sincerely,
Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

my girlfriend and i travelled to athlone to meet with friends. we decided to stay in the sheraton because my girlfriend loves shopping! we booked a deluxe view room in the tower. WOW... fantastic room, very spacious, luxourious and only a two minute walk to the shops. breakfast was efficient and very tasty. staff were clearly well trained, efficient and best of all extremely friendly and welcomming.
very highly rated. easily the best of approx 20 hotels ive stayed in Ireland so far!
so good we have booked another stay for this week :) hopefully we have as good an experience as before :)

Room Tip: tower view rooms are fantastic.. great view of athlone
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was part of a group of 13 staying in the Sheraton for a weekend. It was a family get together. The room was fine. The service was fine..except for the dining room. We had booked a family meal on the Saturday night. The dining room was chilly and we asked to have the air condtioning turned down a number of times. The vegetarian meal(for 3 of us) was poor...undercooked aubergine..a little tasteless. However, it was when we came to pay that things deteriorated. The waiter had taken our room room numbers after each order. We assumed that we could pay sepeartely..only to be told that we could not. The previous evening we had eaten in the bar..paid seperately..no problem. We could not do the same in the dining room. It was mess. Eventually we just split the bill. My wife spoke to a manager the following morning..but could get no real satisfaction.

We had a nice weekend in Athlone. We enjoyed ourselves as a family. However we were a bit annoyed at what happened in the dining room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
kildare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Oh my god! Where do I begin? I attended a wedding here about a month ago and it was absolutely outstanding! But I knew I was returning for a weekend with work in march so I held off doing my review. Along with 2 more ladies I work with we took a group of people with intellectual disabilities here for a weekend. We arrived on the Friday and we were given out rooms immediately and all were located together. We were delighted with this. From the second we checked in at reception to the finalising of the last bill each and every one of us were treated so so well. The staff in every area of the hotel were so helpful and nice. They honestly couldn't do enough for us. We had dinner included for one evening and we had it on the Friday. The menu was very tasty and it catered for all our tastebuds! Each one of us enjoyed our meals. Breakfast was the nicest I've tasted for an awful long time in an Irish hotel. But I honestly must say the staff on duty throughout the weekend were absolutelyl amazing. The leisure centre was utilised by us all and again, the staff were so accommodating and helpful. I honestly haven't experienced such care and attention like this before. The sad thing is I visit athlone regularly and it was my first time to have a meal there, a few weeks ago, at my friends wedding. Even then the service and treatment we were given on the day of the wedding was absolutely exceptional!
Fair play to everyone involved in The Sheraton Athlone as ye were all absolutely amazing!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank galwaygirl27
Co Mayo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed in Sheraton as a treat for my 40th birthday, a little break away from kids! Got talking to hotel manager who immediatly bumped us to a suite on 10th floor with fantastic views and the most luxurious room we've probably ever stayed in. Room was spotless and very comfortable. We requested a late evening meal to the room that arrived promptly and were informed the meal was complimentary because of the delay??! The staff could'nt be more helpful and efficent at what is an extremely busy establishment ( always a good sign) and the food was excellent. parking facilities underground and access to the shopping centre also a bonus. Considering it was the weekend after the Paddy's day celebrations, with cold blustery conditions and the fact that the hotel was hopping, and taking it all in its stride is as good a recommendation as I could give.

One piece of advice for breakfast,- get there early, the surroundings and food at the restaurant leave you with that 'easy like a sunday morning' type vibe, you wont want to leave.

Honestly, the whole package was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PatGCoMayo
Claremorris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Sheraton Athlone, room 482 on March 23rd 2013. I was 33 weeks pregnant, aching for a rest and pampering. I was not disappointed. 'Dan' at reception cheerily booked us in to our comfortable, bright and calm room (thanks to 'Johnny', General Manager for arranging same). We lounged for an age in the bar over lunch enjoying the busy atmosphere where no one was rushed to do anything except relax. While I fell asleep during my Budda Belly mum-to-be spa treatment (yes, it was that comfortable) my husband browsed the shopping centre adjoining the hotel. Room service at 9pm was prompt and so tasty. Breakfast was relaxed despite the Sunday morning crowd and the lifts contained a helpful notice with a guide as to what times are quieter and busier in the breakfast area on Sunday mornings. The staff are pleasant and plentiful, the surrounding's are plush and warm. We quite simply had a lovely little time for ourselves and we shall return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions as a business traveller.
It’s a modern enough hotel, very clean but very basic. It’s a little more “sterile” than other Sheratons I have stayed in worldwide. The staff in the hotel are really lovely, so friendly. The hotel often seems quite, but I have only been there Mon-Fri, so maybe it’s different at weekends.
There are almost 2 separate parts to this hotel, the main section and the tower. I have stayed in both and found the rooms pretty much the same. If you’re in the tower you will need to take 2 lifts to get to reception, not a major issue. The tower is certainly quieter and the corner rooms are bright. Views aren’t fantastic though, as the midlands of Ireland don’t have the best scenery.
I have eaten in the bar downstairs, food is ok, standard hotel bar food. Breakfast is good, good selection of cooked and cold food.
The hotel pool and Gym is good, but the Gym can get very busy after 6pm as it has a lot of members and isn’t exclusively for hotel guests. The pool is about 20m and quite narrow, but it’s usually quiet before 6pm. It’s clean and well maintained and there are plenty of classes that you should be able to take part in.
The hotel has a spa too, I’ve never used it but it looks modern and has a wide range of treatments.
Hotel location is great, its right in the town centre and it’s also attached to the new Athlone shopping centre. It’s not the biggest or best shopping centre, but there are a couple of small places to eat, a Marks & Spencer Supermarket and a few good shops. Alternatively, walk out of the hotel and around the corner to the right and you’re on the main street of Athlone, there are a few bars and restaurants towards the river.
Taxis to most of the main business parks/industrial areas should only take 10-15mins, and there is a public bus that stops outside the hotel that goes to AIT and other businesses outside the town.
As a business hotel I highly recommend the Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business