“Not all expectations were met!”
Review of Sheraton Athlone

Sheraton Athlone
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Athlone
Tralee, Ireland
“Not all expectations were met!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had a two night stay recently at the Sheraton in Athlone when I attended a two-day business meeting in the hotel. My expectations were high on arrival, having read many of the excellent reviews. on the Tripadvisor website. Sadly my expectations were not met in their entirety.

On arrival on a busy Sunday at noon, the reception area was thronged with guests checking out. Understandably, there wasn't a room available for me at that point, but my luggage was stored and I went off to browse the town of Athlone until 2pm when I returned to the hotel and was promptly checked in by Emma.

My room was on the second floor facing the rear of the hotel and was very chilly. However, the heating system once turned on quickly brought the room temperature to a comfortable level. The only down side with this type of fan-generated heating is that it is a bit noisy and when you turn it off, the room cools quickly.

There was no guest directory in my room - nor was there a tray with tea/coffee. I rang down to reception and Emma quickly arranged for both to be delivered to my room.

After a rest, I decided to pay a visit to the leisure centre at basement level for a swim. However, there was no one manning the reception desk at the leisure centre and I had to stand there for five minutes waiting for the attendant's return so that I could sign in and get a towel.

The changing rooms are adequate and clean - the power showers are lovely, but there was no liquid soap/shampoo in the first cubicle that I entered.

The pool area is quite small - even though there were only about eight people swimming at that time, space was quite restrictive. The acoustics also make it quite a noisy space when children are present. I was impressed however, with the child safety gate entering the pool area which I am sure parents are appreciative of.

I ordered room service later that evening and it arrived promptly and was warm and tasty. I would say that the Sheraton's best strength is actually the quality of its food - everything I tasted during my stay was to a very high standard indeed and service in the Provence Restaurant was second to none. I would particularly recommend their selection of cheeses and fresh fruit - simply perfection.

The meeting spaces are well laid out and managed and there was always assistance readily available to our working group when required.

Overall, I would recommend the Sheraton for business purposes, but would not be encouraged to return again with a leisure break in mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonGeneralMgr, General Manager at Sheraton Athlone, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear “Alcudiafan”,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at The Sheraton Athlone Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel and would like to thank you in particular for your very kid feedback in relation to our food and the service offering in our Restaurants.

Needless to say we pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations and my sincere apologies that there were aspects where your expectations were not met. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with if you had the opportunity to contact me on 0906451000 or by email at generalmanager@sheratonathlonehotel.com.

I have spoken with Ross, our manager at Sheraton Fitness and we would like to apologise about the delay at the reception desk. There can be occasions where team members are drawn away from the desk, but 5 minutes is unacceptable and we hope you will find a marked improvement in this area should you choose to return.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Athlone very soon.

Yours Sincerely,
Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My brother and I stayed in a twin room for 3 nights and found the hotel met all our expectations. As a platinum SPG member I was expecting good service;I was not dissappointed. The staff made the trip for us;thank you guys. the loaction is right in the city centre and quieter than we thought (given all the hen nights and rugby fans).The Breakfast was excellent (try the Irish soft blue cheese....wow)

Room Tip: If you arrive back from the pub in the early hours make sure you have a mobile phone to ring the nig...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear “TimTrish”,

Thank you for your review and in particular I would like to thank you on behalf of the staff for your very kind words. It is always wonderful to know that we have made our guest’s stay unique and memorable, and in particular to read that we have looked after a platinum member of our Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Programme. Thank you for your continued custom with Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Athlone, while sometimes quiet, certainly has a vibrant nightlife and it is well worth trying out some of the fantastic bars and clubs in town. We are very proud to have the oldest bar in Ireland here on the west shore of the Shannon, Sean’s Bar, dating back to 900ad.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast quality, we pride ourselves in offering a tasty and healthy offering. Our Colour Your Plate Programme provides symbols which will help you to choose healthy and nutritious food, but then there is no harm in sometimes treating yourself with a Traditional Full Irish Breakfast while on a break away...

Yours Sincerely,
Johnny O’Sullivan,
General Manager.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Firstly best hotel by a mile in Athlone for both families and business, good pool and gym and bar and good breakfast. Rooms are clean ana spacious. Small things bug though - all coat hangers have clips, the desk for check out always understaffed in morning so takes an age. For some reason never more than one on duty in morning do if you're in a rush it's just annoying. Otherwise excellent

• Stayed February 2013
Westmeath
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel room was average enough but very clean we got the room on a deal online so good value. Was more impressed with the service in the harvest cafe (part of the hotel), have to say the girls in the deli were brilliant. Especially a girl called Ann who was more than happy to help me with getting a bowl of potatoes and veg for my little one even though I was clearly in the wrong queue. She could see I was struggling with baby and pram etc and offered to drop the food down to my table what an angel :-) the only downside was dealing with who I can only presume was a floor manager as she had a different coloured shirt on to the rest of the staff. I asked could she clear the table for me and was there a child seat available, she said no problem, but never returned :-( didn't get her name but she sounded like she was from northern ireland. Ann arrived with my food and cleared the table while another girl rose got me a child seat :-) great to get this level of service in a very busy place would definitely eat there again :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Gerlingen
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Needed some time to realize these guys driving on the wrong side (the continent drives on the right side, so it must be wrong ;-)). But after some toll roads/bridges (buy the toll for the bridge already at the airport (Convienient store!)) arrived in the Sheraton and felt very good (driving done and nice personnel!).

Great location, close to city center, parking very convinient, good restaurant, comfortable rooms..

Perfect catch for business around Athlone...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

From the centre of Dublin it was about a 75 minute drive to the hotel, passing 2 motorway tolls (€1.90 and €2.90).
The hotel is built within a shopping mall in the centre of town. Once you have parked in the underground car park, which is free to guests, you do not feel like you are in a mall as the hotel feels like it is on its own.
The hotel Reception has 3 desks and they were all manned by very professional staff. The rooms are very clean and spacious and if you are in a Tower room then you will get a great view of the river that splits the town. The hotel has free wifi.
The hotel had evening entertainment whilst we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower room facing the river for a great view of the town. Please note that from the car pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Sheraton in Athlone would fit better on the Las Vegas Boulevard. You drive your car into an underground parking lot, walk past a shopping mal and go up some elevators before you reach the front desk. The check-in was very "quick quick", being informed that the room has already been charged to the credit card, being given the keys to room 224 and being told "Have a nice stay". Check-in probably took no more than 30 seconds, yet the girl wasn't unpleasant.

The rooms are very luxurious, the beds are comfortable and the quality of the sleep was excellent.

My only problems were the heating (or the lack thereof) and the children at breakfast. What is it with Ireland and the lack of heating in hotel rooms? I put the thermostat to 26° C (maximum) and still felt cold. The glass hallway on the second floor was also freezing cold.

And look: I know that the Irish have a reputation for having too many children. But if I have to have my breakfast surrounded by a kindergarten class, having to listen to screaming brats and having to smell "used diapers", it kind of spoils my appetite.

Apart from that the Sheraton is probably the best hotel in Athlone and I can warmly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family