“Great Family Stay”
Review of The Burren Hostel

and 1 more site!
The Burren Hostel
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Our three-night experience at the Burren Hostel was great from beginning to end. The friendly and helpful staff did what they could to accommodate us and set the tone for a relaxing and welcoming stay. The dining room was comfortable, the kitchen well-equipped, and the facilities reasonably clean. Our kids enjoyed playing with other children on the massive lawn out front and, when tired, they enjoyed the comfort of the sociable lounge/TV room. For quality/price, it would be tough to beat this place. It's nice to find a hostel that offers an ensuite room for a family. We were able to sleep well as the building is set up so that the hallways are shut off from each other and each has only a select number of rooms, thereby minimising traffic and noise. The location is also great, with a nice pub and amenities just a minute's walk from the door, plus the Burren, Doolin, and the Cliffs of Moher only a short drive away. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - the kids were sad to go!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
SleepzoneManager, Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thanks Boar13 for your super review - really appreciate it and it was a pure pleasure having you and your family stay here. We still talk about the fun the kids had that weekend - amazing how they don't need to have the same language to have fun. Hope you got some relaxation for yourselves!! The Kitchen is only new so it's very well equipped. We pride ourselves on our spacious family rooms with all rooms here having Ensuite bathrooms. All rooms are located away from the main common areas - so allows guests to relax without disturbing others., Hope you get back someday & best of luck with everything! Warmest Regards Aoibhinn

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I were traveling together on this trip and decided to stay in a couple of hostels for the low prices. This was a pleasant surprise! The place used to be a hotel and was remodeled to be a hostel. There was a bar, a giant living room, and a couple of other common areas. The staff was incredibly friendly and the atmosphere was great. We also had all of our questions about the area's sites answered. I really liked this place and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful review which I have passed onto our team. I agree that it is great value for money here. We are not a typical back packer hostel as we used to be a hotel and the gardens make it special. I hope you will "definitely come back" - you will be very welcome to return.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights in mid May. Very clean, very friendly staff, hot showers, a better than average breakfast, decent Wi-Fi, quiet, and a pool table. Just a short walk from a great Irish pub and a few wonderful restaurants. Perfect compliment to our tour of the cliffs in nearby Doolin. But don't let the beautiful Irish redhead at the front desk fool you...she is actually French :) Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
SleepzoneManager, Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Hi Gary
Thanks a million for staying for 2 nights - always nicer when someone stays on an extra night or 2. We pride ourselves in our breakfast and love the pool table, table football and the piano also. Yes, the Roadside Tavern is a great spot for music and food - we are so lucky to have it beside us. Also the Rathbaun Hotel is great for music with the Wild Honey Inn and Sheedy's both special for food - as you will see on Tripadvisor. We are so lucky to be near Ireland's 3rd biggest attraction The Cliffs of Moher which are truly stunning and scene to many a movie including Harry Potter.
I have passed your lovely comment onto our beautiful French Redhead (assistant manager Heloise) who now calls Ireland her home.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

As a family with young children we had an excellent stay at the Burren Hostel.
Comfortable room with private bathroom. The kitchen was great and very well equipped for making your own dinner. Aveen, the cheerful hostess of the Burren Hostel gave us some great tips where to go. Thanks for the pleasant stay and we will definitely come again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
SleepzoneManager, Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you so much Liseanne for the lovely review. We get a lot of families here from all over the world and we are thrilled that the children enjoyed themselves so that you could get a chance to relax while they were happy.
The private ensuite bathrooms are such a bonus in a hostel - we are so lucky to have them.
The Kitchen was only put in last year so is a modern Ikea Kitchen which makes a huge difference to the self catering experience.
I am getting to know all the attractions at the moment myself having just moved to the area - so much fun so at least I can tell guests up to date information.
I really hope you will come back someday soon as we really enjoyed having you stay here.
Aoibhinn (Aveen)

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Having taken a deep breath, it is time to share some superlatives.
It all starts with a warm welcome from the reception staff. You get a feeling of home almost immediately. After you fill in a short registration card, you are shown the whole place and get explained how all works here. You get accommodated in a very clean room with private shower, comfy bed is a standard here. Looks great and this is just the beginning. You prepare a meal in a well equipped kitchen. Eat it in a cosy dining area and start thinking about 'the next'. You can either go out or just spend the evening in a 'reading room' with a real fireplace. That was another 'whau' moment for me. Although you are tired after the whole day, you just don't want to miss this - rare and exceptional.. You have a great sleep and there is a breakfast waiting for you in the dining room - just help yourself. Another nice surprise.
Best accommodation I have been to during my trip in Ireland.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
SleepzoneManager, Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you so much Jan for your amazing 5/5 review of our hostel - really appreciate your time you took to do this. A warm welcome is so important as first impressions are top of our priority list here. This hostel is our home and we wish for our guests to feel that - home away from home after a long day touring maybe. Cleanliness is very important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve this. The private ensuite bathrooms are a huge extra bonus in hostels. The mattresses are all new and the best of quality and we know the importance for our guests - walkers, cyclists, motobikers etc to get a good night sleep. The kitchen was modernised last year and a lot of our regular guests have commented on this particular improvement. We have lots of great Irish books to read and the open fire is my personal favourite part of the hostel.
Thank you for your really lovely comments which I have passed onto the proud team here and we hope to welcome you back again someday maybe with friends or family.
Warmest regards

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Love, love, LOVED the hostel! It's sweet, cozy, and very well-kept. The staff are absolutely amazing! When my friend and I had trouble figuring out some details of our trip, the staff were super supportive and resourceful, and went out of their way to help us in any way they could!

The Burren hostel does an amazing job making travelers from all over the world feel at home, and everything about it is just magical! Very grateful for having had the chance to stay there, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Much love,
Shannon

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
SleepzoneManager, General Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thanks a million Shannon for your "LOVELY" review. We pride ourselves in keeping the place lovely and to be helpful - we understand the stresses of not knowing the areas as we have all travelled ourselves extensively in the past.

We really hope you come back soon and you both were an absolute pleasure to look after - always smiling.

Thank you for staying.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is the best hostel I have ever been to! I've travelled all over the world and this is the nicest hostel I've stayed at. The place is incredibly cozy and inviting. They set out a continental breakfast in the morning and they have tea and coffee free all day. The dining room and kitchen are clean and large and have everything you need. Because it was a hotel there is a lovely sitting room with a fire in it every night. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are very clean and private. The best part of this hostel, however, are the people that work here! The nicest staff I've ever met. They made me feel so welcome and went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed, including helping me figure out the bus system and getting me where I needed to go. They are so friendly. If I'm ever near here again I will make a point to come back. This place is perfect for a solo traveller, a group, or a family. Lovely environment. It's very close to the cliffs, the beach town of Lahinch and a number of other wonderful sites to see. The perfect Irish hostel. I even extended my stay. I highly suggest it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

What can I say Madison - but you were one of our BEST guests!!!! Love when guests stay more than one or two nights and keep extending their stay - I get such a buzz from that - thank you. A lot of guests are surprised by the continental breakfast as they think it is purely self catering like some other hostels - but we are a bit different here. Cleanliness is one of my top priorities so thanks for your comments on this. We are so lucky to have been a hotel before and still have that character. We have invested money in good mattresses so this is important to us. the ensuite bathrooms are definitely an added bonus.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the staff - I will pass them on to all our team here. Don't worry you are not the only one who finds the local bus system a tad puzzling - I still haven't got the hang of it!!! We are always aware of solo travellers as we were all one once here. Families love it here too - perfect for kids. Lahinch beach is stunning and of course the cliffs are indescribable.
Thanks for staying that wee bit longer!!!!
Aoibhinn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisdoonvarna
The Hydro Hotel
Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Doolin Inn & Hostel
Doolin Inn & Hostel
#1 of 20 in Doolin

Been to The Burren Hostel? Share your experiences!