“The Best Hostel!”

The Burren Hostel
Boston, Massachusetts
“The Best Hostel!”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is the best hostel I have ever been to! I've travelled all over the world and this is the nicest hostel I've stayed at. The place is incredibly cozy and inviting. They set out a continental breakfast in the morning and they have tea and coffee free all day. The dining room and kitchen are clean and large and have everything you need. Because it was a hotel there is a lovely sitting room with a fire in it every night. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are very clean and private. The best part of this hostel, however, are the people that work here! The nicest staff I've ever met. They made me feel so welcome and went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed, including helping me figure out the bus system and getting me where I needed to go. They are so friendly. If I'm ever near here again I will make a point to come back. This place is perfect for a solo traveller, a group, or a family. Lovely environment. It's very close to the cliffs, the beach town of Lahinch and a number of other wonderful sites to see. The perfect Irish hostel. I even extended my stay. I highly suggest it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
SleepzoneManager, General Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
What can I say Madison - but you were one of our BEST guests!!!! Love when guests stay more than one or two nights and keep extending their stay - I get such a buzz from that - thank you. A lot of guests are surprised by the continental breakfast as they think it is purely self catering like some other hostels - but we are a bit different here. Cleanliness is one of my top priorities so thanks for your comments on this. We are so lucky to have been a hotel before and still have that character. We have invested money in good mattresses so this is important to us. the ensuite bathrooms are definitely an added bonus.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the staff - I will pass them on to all our team here. Don't worry you are not the only one who finds the local bus system a tad puzzling - I still haven't got the hang of it!!! We are always aware of solo travellers as we were all one once here. Families love it here too - perfect for kids. Lahinch beach is stunning and of course the cliffs are indescribable.
Thanks for staying that wee bit longer!!!!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Holywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a fantastic hostel, in a lovely town.
Very friendly staff at reception, and very knowledgeable and willing to help. Right across the road from the Burren smokehouse, which was also great.
Very large common room areas, which was really good, and a room with a fire lit. Great wifi connection also!
The family room was excellent, and very clean.
Was everything we needed. Thank you very much

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your fantastic review. Burren Smokehouse is great - have to agree with you there and they export their amazing produce all over the world.
Open fire is great to have for the cosyness of the hostel all year around.
I shall pass on your kind comments to the housekeeping staff about the cleanliness.
Thank YOU very much and hope you make it down this way soon.
regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had a wonderful experience staying here! The hotel is much more like a hotel than a hostel. The staff is very helpful and personable. When I arrived, they greeted me warmly and invited me to put down my luggage and have a cup of tea in the living area. Throughout my stay, the staff went above and beyond to help me out with various things.
Great wifi!
Plus, it's located close to the Cliffs of Moher - beautiful!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SleepzoneManager, Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you KaiAnn32 for your "wonderful" review which I have shown to the team here. We are thrilled that you loved it so much and our motto is to go the extra mile for our guests.
We are so lucky to be near one of the top 5 attractions in Ireland - The Cliffs of Moher.
Hopefully you shall come back someday soon.
Warmest Regards
rathdrum
Reviewed April 12, 2014

After arriving a bit later than expected I was greeted very warmly at the reception area and was kindly offered a cup of tea, which was much appreciated before been shown the kitchen and sitting room with a real fire and tv.
The room was clean and warm as was the bed linens.
The staff are very helpful and have a good knowledge of the area and ongoing events.
May use more hostels in the future as i recon it was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank stephen2691
SleepzoneManager, General Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review Stephen2691 and we always try to welcome warmly our guests at all times of the night and day, with a nice cuppa.
The open fire is gorgeous at night and really adds to the atmosphere of the house.
We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of the hostel. We have a lovely team here and we learning more and more about this stunning region and the many events held.
Yes I do think we are great value for money as the building used to be a hotel so still has that relaxing slightly luxurious feel.
Thank you and I look forward to welcoming you again sooner rather than later!!
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My friends and I booked a room at this hostel as it was close to the Cliffs of Moher which we were planning on visiting. We got in a lot later than expected- Canadians trying to find their way without a GPS in Ireland is just a bad idea. Anyways- We got in late and no one was at the desk. There was a note that said be back in 5 minutes so we sat down and waited. For 40 minutes. There wasn't a soul in sight. We looked around the hostel, rang the bell and no one ever came. Eventually we were tired of waiting so we left and went to the pub close to the Hostel to ask for a hotel recommendation. I explained the situation to the bartender, who knew the person supposed to be the Hostel and he was super nice and tried to call there for us, but didn't get an answer. After we were tired so we got a hotel room elsewhere. (I absolutely recommend the Hydro Hotel)

I can't tell you how the rooms are, but the customer service was very poor as we didn't get any. The late arrivals system is set up terribly and I truly hope it changes with our experience. We did get an email afterwards with an apology and some explanation which was nice, so I hope issues are fixed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SleepzoneManager, General Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi daniellemonique44

Thank you for taking the time to write up your review, with the issues that had been addressed with Nataly around the time of your visit. As all the team are new here this season, some of us are here only 2 weeks, we appreciate your feedback and have learned from your experience. You have been the only guests this has happened to and sincere apologies again. We pride ourselves on the experience of our guests as you will see in the other reviews on this site and other sites.

As you mention, I had fully communicated the situation with Nataly by firstly emailing her (an incorrect email address was attached on your booking and the email to you bounced back to me - so I amended that thinking that the spelling may be wrong?? - this email reached you), there was no phone number also attached to your booking, which is important from an accommodation provider's point of view, so we can get in touch with you and in this case tried my absolute best at 10pm, due to no arrival at that late stage of the evening - I was genuinely concerned about you girls, because we are a very rural location and people do get lost, but really tried and could not get hold of you with the incorrect email address and no phone number. We are a small team here in the off peak season, so we would leave the desk at 11pm for the night till 8am the next morning, however in saying that we live in and had the landline phone with me in my bedroom that night and the emergency mobile with me at all times - the landline number would have been on your booking confirmation and the mobile was up on the desk to call - I received no calls that night from you. As I had mentioned to you the landline handset battery dies after about one hour, when the pub did call which was logged at 11.50pm. The pub now have my mobile number to call.

There were two notes on the desk (one with emergency phone numbers) and the one for Back in 5 Minutes should have not have been there - sorry about this. We also have a bell on the desk for guests to ring and that bell is with a team member at all times. I realise now that not all guests can use their phones when in this country. We do have Wi-Fi here.We find that most guests would be in the habit of calling the hostels/hotels/B&B's etc before 9pm or so if they were going to be late arriving, but I understand you did not have this access, but there are some public phones around still and of course pubs & hotels would have phones.

I asked the other guests here, did they see you, but they said no.

I am glad to see that you had a good stay at the Hydro Hotel and that you were safe. We work closely with this hotel on overflow and entertainment options for our guests.

I am happy to say that all issues re: late arrivals are fixed now. Thank you

I hope someday you may come back to this area and we shall show you the experience our other guests have had.

Warmest regards
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed there for two night in a 6 bed female dorm.
The Hostel is situated beautifully in the burren national park, near the Cliffs of Moher.
Rooms are big and nice but there were no reading lights.
The building is very pretty. There was a totally cosy common room with a fireplace that was lit in the afternoons. Kitchen and dining room are great, with much space.
The staff was really nice and helpfull.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SleepzoneManager, General Manager at The Burren Hostel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thanks you Madeline007 for your very positive review in our first few weeks of opening after the winter.
Yes we are amazingly lucky with our location only a few miles from the stunning Cliffs of Moher and right in the heart of the lunar landscape of The Burren Co. Clare.
We are lucky that our hotel was formerly a hotel so the rooms are large and more like a hotel than a hostel with all the rooms having En-Suite bathrooms.
I am the new manageress here and did notice no reading lights here when I arrived last week - so will order these.
The building used to be a house belonging to Gentry years ago and then a hotel so yes it is very pretty and I personally love walking up the driveway through the garden - I think it is a lovely feature.
The open fire is great to have to cosy up the place & is an authentic Irish experience.
Kitchen is only new and the dining room is great size for even group dinners.
Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff which I shall pass onto the team.
We hope you see you again soon Madeline
Warmest Regards
Aoibhinn McGee
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Much of the staff here have been travelers that haven't left! They got a job at a hostel and are some of the nicest people! Of course, most of Ireland is "the nicest" but I loved hanging out with this crew! They met us at a pub nearby and we had a grand time. They're professional too, accommodating us the best that they could. This is a well-run hostel, the owner was always willing to help us find whatever we were looking for, and had great recommendations for cab drivers! (If you get a hold of John, get him. He is the ABSOLUTE best!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisdoonvarna
Sheedy's Country House Hotel
Aran View Country House
Aille River Hostel
Aille River Hostel
#2 of 16 in Doolin

Been to The Burren Hostel? Share your experiences!