“Super supper”

Sheedy's Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lisdoonvarna
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My friend and I had supper here at the end of last season. We had a lovely welcome from the owner and after a drink and looking at the menu we were taken into the small dining room. Despite being one of two tables we quickly relaxed and enjoyed our food so much we ended up sharing our plates so we could taste everything. A totally lovely experience. We will be back. Unfortunately we weren't staying so I cannot comment on the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
BurrenLady, Owner at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

John and I are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Sheedys last Autumn.....but please do stay with us the next time you visit Lisdoonvarna. Lisdoonvarna is a great base for a holiday in the burren and any time of the season is a good time - now the spring flowers are popping their heads, and we have the Matchmaking Festival in September. I look forward to welcoming you back! Martina

Reviewed April 23, 2013

If there was a rating above excellent I'd give that! I can't think of anything wrong during our stay here. The room was huge and there were lots of nice little touches around the place. The food was absolutely amazing! The best meal we've ever had (literally) and very reasonably priced for what you get. The breakfast was equally good... anywhere that includes sorbet as part of breakfast can do no wrong in my book :) The service and the atmosphere was impeccable. Very classy but homely all at once. We'd love to come back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
BurrenLady, Owner at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

John and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your dinner with us. Spring is a great time to visit the Burren and now that its a little warmer (!) hopefully we will be "burren in Bloom". We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon. Martina

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and i stayed here for two nights. We got a lovely friendly welcome on our arrival,our room was very comfortable. We had dinner and it was superb. The breakfast was gorgeous with a wide choice, i loved the poached fruit with yoghurt! We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: April 2013

John and I are delighted that you both enjoyed your recent stay with us in Lisdoonvarna. We are now fully open for the Summer Season and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Martina

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent a fabulous weekend in Sheedy's, we actually found it on trip advisor. From the moment we arrived we felt totally at home, Martina made us feel totally at home.
We were shown to a great room which was fantastic with plenty of room for us.
We dined in the bar on the Friday night, you have to try the local crab claws, they were the best I've ever had.
We had a superb breakfast both mornings and on Saturday night we ate in the restaurant. The food is fabulous and the service was excellent. The rack of lamb was as good as I've ever had and cooked to perfection. My wife's scallops were brilliant too. We will be back for certain for both the food and the service, a real gem.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewbridgeJoe
BurrenLady, Owner at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

John and I are delighted that you both enjoyed your recent stay with us at Sheedys. We look forward to welcoming you back soon - it is a lovely Spring day here in Lisdoonvarna and hopefully the flowers of the Burren will soon be showing in all their glory.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is the place that wrote the book on great service. Having the best food in Ireland and an excellent location within a charming Burren town is no small added bonuses. Sheedy's is the only place my family will stay in west Ireland.

The manager, Martina, is saintly in her attentiveness and friendliness. From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, Martina was available to help us the moment we walked down to the lobby. She offered loads of great advice and great conversation.

Breakfast and dinner at Sheedy's is a reason alone to visit. The food was the best we had on our trip! Take a look at their menu on their website and see the choices are more diverse than the other pubs and restaurants in town.

Our room was spacious and comfortable too. The suit had a large tub, shower, plenty of pillows and places to sit. Windows offered views of town and even a bit of a peak over at the Atlantic!

We will return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
BurrenLady, Owner at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

John and I are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Sheedys. It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. Yes, Lisdoonvarna is a great spot for touring the Burren, and getting to see all the sites. John and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Sheedys in the very near future. Martina

Reviewed January 13, 2013

In May 2012 my mother & I had the pleasure of staying a night at the lovely and well managed Sheedy’s Country House Hotel in Lisdoonvarna. Martina & her husband John own the hotel and provide a warm welcome, lovely and immaculate rooms and the most delicious food we had in any restaurant in Ireland.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Martina and offered tea, lemon cake and shortbread in the Library which was a wonderful start to our visit. We stayed in Room 11, a large suite which had a Queen and a single bed, TV sitting area with a couch and a desk. The bathroom was large and provided with 2 sinks, tub & shower – plus 2 plush terrycloth robes. We felt surrounded by luxury and warm hospitality.

In 2009 my husband & I celebrated our 25th anniversary with a dinner at Sheedy’s and that convinced us to stay there any time that we’re in the area. The night we stayed at Sheedy’s this past May we had dinner in the cozy bar; my mother had the slow-cooked beef with horseradish and I the duck confit and we shared a sticky toffee pudding for dessert. The food was superb. In fact it was so delicious that although we had moved on to another town the next day, we returned to Sheedy’s for dinner again that night – and, it was worth the trip! John is a well-known chef and I understand that he offers cooking classes in the off season.

Sheedy’s is located in the pretty “Matchmaking Festival” town of Lisdoonvarna & is only a 20 minute drive to the Cliffs of Moher. I highly recommend staying at Sheedy’s when in this area of Ireland and don’t pass up a chance to eat a delicious meal at Sheedy’s!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
BurrenLady, Owner at Sheedy's Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

John and I are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Burren with your mother last May. May is indeed a wonderful time to visit the Burren as the Burren is famous for its flowers and fauna. A large percentage of the different varities of flowers are in bloom in May. John is now putting the finishing touches to the menu for the new season. We reopen on March 22nd. The Slow Cooked beef should remain on the bar menu, ,I think. Its always popular. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Sheedys in the very near future!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

'Let's have a weekend in the Burren! We love the Burren! Where can we stay? Lisdoonvarna? It's a bit touristy (thank you Christy Moore and match making), but it's a good central spot for walking, so I suppose it will do.' So we landed on Sheedys, sort of by chance and we have been back several times. It's family run and it's been in John Sheedy's family goodness knows how long. He is the chef and his wife Martina looks after everything outside the kitchen.

Her welcome on that first visit was bright and friendly, she introduced us to her two small children, whom we have now seen growing over three or four years, and showed us into a comfortable, slightly old fashioned (that's a compliment) double room, with an adjoining sitting room and a lovely bathroom with Gilchrist and Soames toiletries and a bath with plenty hot water and luxurious white towels. Our visits are usually in the Autumn or Spring and the lounge and bar, with their open fires is where we start for a pre-prandial drink and a browse among the library of books,

We have eaten in the restaurant several times since then and the bar only once. John is an excellent chef and he pays as much attention to the bar food as that which is served on the white linen of the dining room. My partner and I have different tastes. She likes things simple and unadorned and the quality of meat, fish and vegetables stands up to that preference. I'm somebody who likes his sauces and adornments and I really appreciate John's chefy command of that side of things. He makes full use of the herbs and vegetables they grow in the box hedge bordered garden in front of the hotel. Desserts are lovely and he makes his own ice cream (another occasional indulgence) which is a real treat.

At breakfast the quality shines through again, cereals, home-made muesli and pancakes, porridge, yoghurt with nuts and home made fruit compote, followed by a good old fry for me and smoked fish or white fish of the day for my partner, different sorts of fresh bread, Earl Grey tea and the freshest and best coffee you ever tasted.

The second time we visited, Martina remembered our names and showed us to the same room as she knew how much we liked it. After several visits, it has now become 'our room.' She always remembers exactly what we were separately up to from visit to visit and inquires in a genuinely interested fashion how everything is going. After breakfast John always comes out to say hello as the children are being hurried off to school. We don't hurry away, we leave slowly with 'see you next time' our parting words.

Room Tip: I wont tell you our favourite room in case we are going the same weekend, so you'll just have to...