“Ruta” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 16 Lisdoonvarna B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Ruta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We were traveling in Ireland and stopped there for a night and the dinner. It was so good and very different. Owners were such warm people and they visibly love what they do. The food was fantastic (and I am very picky and experienced in this). Breakfast was also very delicious.
The place is very cozy. I would love such place and restaurant was closer of where i live.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Two starters, two mains, two desserts and two wines for 78 euro and the food was fab! Lovely setting and great service. Best meal out in a long time. Quite a find in the is of the wilds of the Burren.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Everything about this was wonderful. Our spacious room overlooked the garden. Breakfasts were scrumptious. Location just outside of the village was perfect, quiet but convenient. The sitting room was decorated perfectly. Kate was extremely friendly and helped us plan our day. The restaurant earned 5 stars for us, pub food priced but gourmet in presentation and preparation. Loved the whole experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I was really looking forward to staying I. The wild honey inn but unfortunately was very disappointed. On arrival at the B and B myself and my husband were left waiting at reception for 25 minutes and finally when someone came to check us in we hardly even received an apology. I thought the room we were staying in was very old fashioned and not at all what I had expected. As we had read such race reviews about the food we were expecting a fantastic meal but again it did not live up to expectations. It was average pub food which did not make an pression. All the staff were so nice that I don't like to have to put up a negative review but I feel that the whole place is not living up to its potential. Breakfast was fine but all in all I would unfortunately not be back to stay again. The wild honey inn is located in a beautiful area and has the potential to be a fabulous place if a lot more emphasis was placed on customer service and attention to detail.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Holidaymaker57
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Having read some of the unfavourable reviews about the Wild Honey Inn I have to say it is a shame that, occasionally, the lacklustre accomodation appears to take the gloss off a visit to what should be one of the best food experiences in the west of Ireland. I have stayed on a number of occasions, the first time was even before the sign went up. If I was going there to sit in my room I confess I would have been disappointed, but food is what the Wild Honey Inn excels at.

There are many things that can set a chef apart but ultimately for me what makes a good chef great is his ability to season food. The best of ingredients can be let down by poor seasoning. Aidan McGrath is a cut above when it comes to making good food great.

Its rare that I see food on a menu and imagine what it will be like that I will find my expectations are met. Without fail every time I have eaten here they have been exceeded. Ingredients, seasoning, flavour, presentation, everything comes together making the meal somehow greater than the sum of its parts.

If it was just about the food I would give five stars, but to acknowledge that the accommodation is not of the same standard I would have to say four stars is about right.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms usually better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aisyandslow
Ennis, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Dropped into this hotel after hearing of it with a view to having our evening meal after a beautiful 2 hour walk. We enquired if we could see the menu and were told by the bar attendant food was finished at 4 pm, to which what appeared to be the owner said food was finised at 3pm. We were a bit taken back but we asked if we could have tea and coffees. and sat down at a table. We were innored for almost ten minutes as the tidied tables and it was embarrasing as we felt that we were a bit of a nuisance. We eventually were seen to and received the beverages. We asked if we could maybe have a scone or somthing to accompany it and we were told nothing was available. Shortly after we saw a couple ushered to an area at the other side of the bar. A few moments later they were servced what looked like toasted sandwitches and chips and desert to follow. When paying we were told that they would be serving food at 5 and we then voiced our disapointment. The person in charge said that the people she served were her friends and not customers and had paid nothing for the food. We pointed out that surely customers were more important when in business we would have happily paid for our meals. She then went on to say that they were not the type of establishment that served buscuits with tea and coffee - we were a group of four and were astonished at how angry she got. We were very interested in seeing the Wild Honey Inn as we love to watch the At Your Service programme where they were featured. We are

Room Tip: We will not be returning to this venue any time soon
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Margaret179
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Myself & my sister stayed there while attending a hen party in Lisdoonvarna over the Singles weekend festival and the overall experience was quite disapponting.
We arrived just before 5pm on the Saturday afternoon and the first thing we encountered was not unlike 'Fort Knox; ..... All 3 door bolted shut and it took 5 minutes for someone to answer. When we joked about this we were told sternly that the doors are kept shut from 3-5pm daily. The busiest weekend of the year?!!
Up to the room which was at best quite basic. It was a twin bedded room, quite pokey with an ancient television and furniture that had seen better days. As it was a very warm day my sister attempted to open the archaic windows only to have them slam down on the fingers .... Not a great start!
It was emphasised that the front door must be locked upon entering and leaving which was fair enough. When we returned home from the night out I went upstairs with the intention of coming back down immediately to get something out of the car and obviously I hadn't locked the door as I was going straight back down ..... However in the meantime the owner had been down and locked the door ahead of me and greeted me grumpily in the hall over this.
Breakfast was adequate but it was all topped off when it came to checking out! We were booked in under a group booking for €50 pp. However, when paying we were asked for €60 each which I considered absolute extortion. This establishment lists €40pps as their rates on their website but I guess it was lets milk it given the busy weekend. I could have stayed at a top hotel in a major city for the amount!
Overall experience shocking ..... Overcharged and underdelivered

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank aramusha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisdoonvarna
Sheedy's Country House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lisdoonvarna
Falls Hotel & Spa
Falls Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ennistymon

Been to Wild Honey Inn? Share your experiences!