“Special atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Lisdoonvarna
Cuisines: Irish, Contemporary, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: PUB OPEN ALL YEAR ROUND 10AM TILL LATE FOOD SERVED FROM MARCH UNTIL NOVEMBER 12-4 6-9 EVERYDAY Last orders 8.45 In spring 2011, Peter Curtin embarked on a new endeavour: He set up the Burren Brewery in the Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna. The building, which in 1865 started off as a pub, then was expanded into a bakery, now also harbours a micro-brewery under its roof. At the same time it is an eatery and a renowned music venue for traditional and contemporary music. Peter realised very quickly how complicated and time-consuming it was to brew his own beer - it really is a labour of love. He enrolled the help of a Master Brewer, and the result can now be tasted in the Roadside Tavern: The Burren Gold is a delicious, characterful lager. The mainstream lagers available every-where just cannot compete with this one!The Burren Red with its great red colour is a spicy, slightly sweet ale which even features a hint of smoke. It seems to become the favourite among the punters at the Roadside! The Burren Black is a stout that does not have to fear the competition of a certain other black stuff. It is smooth and full-bodied, with a creamy crown of froth on top - and definitely alive inside! A heavenly drink.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

excellent food (especially the reward smoked salmon), magnificent beers and enchanting live music by an Irish band made our experience unforgettable. If you stay around don't miss this lovely spot!!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had the best meal in our two week trip to Ireland at this place. Local pork, smoked salmon, excellent sides. We homebrew and would consider ourselves beer snobs. The burden black ( stout) red and gold (pale ale) were excellent.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Our hostess recommended this place and we werenot ddisappointed! The good was top notch... We got the pork belly entree and the pork fillet special which was probably the best food we had our whole trip. They have beer that is brewed upstairs which was delicious. The stout trumps guiness any day. Their smoked fish is top notch also! Loved it all.

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

After a sterling recommendation from the owner of the B&B we were staying in, my wife and I decided we had to try this place.

We were not disappointed.

The food selection goes far above and beyond normally pub fare while the in house brew was some of the best we drank in Ireland.

I can not say enough about the brown bread made with their stout. Incredible is hardly adequate.

There was a nice mix of locals and tourists. That is always an indicator, to me, of a quality place. The restaurant does not cater to tourists, which is exactly what my wife and I seek out while traveling.

The bar features authentic Irish sessions. No microphone. No speakers. No stars. Any and all musicians are welcome.

It's too bad I left my flute behind.

Our server Gabrielle was delightful. She gave honest recommendations. She isn't a fan of fish, so instead she told us about the things in her wheel house. It was very refreshing.

When I asked about the brown bread, Kiernan made an appearance. What a great guy. He was very excited that I loved the bread and I'm hoping to have the recipe soon.

Overall, this was one of the best experiences we had in Ireland. This place has everything. I will definitely go out of my way to come back again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just happened to stop here for lunch in June 2013. Kieran was absolutely the funniest individual ever to wait a table, and the food was unbelievably deeeelicious. The selection of smoked fish was outstanding, and we tried it all and left with grins and full stomachs. If you miss this, you will miss out on a fabulous experience...and very reasonable, too.