“A Real Gem”

Ross Lake House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Oughterard
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This hotel was a delight. It provided a level of comfort and service found all too rarely these days, I'm afraid. Some might say it was a tad old-fashioned in terms of its decor. We thought it reflected the classic country house style (both in furnishing and attitude to service) that is so welcome.

We arrived around 5 on Saturday 31st July and were delighted by the warm and friendly (but genuine) welcome from proprietor Henry Reid. Our room (B & B rate €150 per night) was a suite (the Strevens suite) which exceeded our most optimistic expectations in terms of size, facilities and comfort. Dinner that evening was excellent - genuinely high class cuisine with friendly and attentive service (€45 per head). Both the small bar and lounge offered comfort and atmosphere. Breakfast the following morning did not disappoint in any way.

All in all a first class experience at a reasonable price. Nice people, a lovely setting, comfort, good food, excellent service. What else do you want?

1  Thank davidmoir

Reviewed July 31, 2010

If you're looking for a quiet hotel with a lot of character you cant go far wrong with The Ross Lake House Hotel.
Its a little off the beat and track, located 2-3km down a small road not far from Oughterard in Galway.
We just noticed the sign on the road and said we'd have a look.

Our first impression wasn't good as the first thing you see when driving up to the hotel is an old tennis court that has not been maintained and the surrounding trees/bushes are a bit overgrown.
We actually almost turned around to look for somewhere else but thankfully we weren't so hasty.

The hotel itself is an old residence formerly owned by some Lord way back when and has a sense of history about it.
While the decor inside is quite old fashioned(this might be what some people are looking for) the hotel is well maintained and clean.
We took a deluxe room titled 'Lord Harding' which was a decent sized room with a lovely old-style four-post bed that I slept like a baby in. The bathroom was a little small but fine.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and the service in the bar and restaurant was absolutely fantastic.
We had dinner in the hotel that night which I could not fault in the slightest. I believe it was 45 euro for a 4 course.

The bar looked dark and cramped when I first saw it during the day but by night with the fire lighting it was extremely cozy and relaxing.
The room itself was 150euro which I felt was a fair price.

As far as I could tell we were the only Irish guests staying there. The others I noticed being American, Australian and Japanese.
The old fashioned decor and history of the hotel would probably appeal to tourists from overseas more than the typical Irish person.

In closing I would highly recommend the Ross Lake to someone looking for a peaceful hotel with great food and a lot of character in Connemara.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We had 2 rooms on our recent stay both comfortable, beautifully furnished and very clean.
This beautiful manor house is elegant, classy and comfortable. The food was exceptional with many choices, cooked to order, fresh, beautifully presented. The hosts, Henry and Elaine were accomodating, welcoming and most gracious hosts. We felt like long lost friends.

We can't wait to go back and hightly recommend this peaceful Manor House secluded in the beautiful Connemara countryside.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My wife and I had a good four days at the Hotel during our trip to Galway.

Henry and Elaine seemed to treat us as friends: not guests. Their style was relaxed and easy going. There was no pressure put on us.

The food and accommodation were all first rate and Henry's "craic" was non-stop.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel again. It was a very relaxed environment.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Ross Lake Hotel on our yearly trip to Ireland. We were looking for a quiet place with lots of charm in a good location. The Ross Lake House met all of our requirements. The hotel, service, food and hospitality were fabulous. This hotel has several public areas ideal for reading and relaxing all with a glowing fireplace. They were ideal for me as I sat sipping on a glass of Guinness and sketched a picture. I found myself not wanting to leave the proprietors at the end of our stay as they really made us feel welcome with their abounding Irish hospitality. You could really feel the heart and soul they have put into every detail of this hotel because the entire house radiates with their warmth and charm. I can’t wait to stay there next summer.

1  Thank ashleybermo
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just had the pleasure of staying at the Ross Lake House with my wife. The property is a beautifully restored country house dating back to the 1800's. It is located within it's own secluded grounds on the outskirts of Oughterard in the heart of Connemara. This is a truly beautiful and special property. It is an ideal base for touring the western Ireland.... It is cozy, intimate, offers incredible food, superb service and this is really Irish hospitality at it's finest. We simply did not want to leave. I have worked in the travel industry for many years and I cannot recommend this property highly enough... Stay here, you will not be disappointed and you'll have friends for life.

2  Thank jimtplaces
Reviewed June 27, 2010

My wife and I visited Ross Lake House in June and had a great time. The hotel itself is very comfortable, and we instantly felt at home. The experience at Ross Lake is a great throwback to classic hospitality, with the owners being very attentive and accommodating, and providing great conversation if you are looking for it. The food in the restaurant was very fresh and had a nice twist on some classic dishes. The menu changes daily depending on what they can find at the farmers market.... this was easily the best meal we had on our whole trip and we ate at some nice places. All in all a quiet, relaxing place to stay with great food and a nice wine menu....do not hesitate!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bridie01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oughterard
Currarevagh House
#1 of 3 in Cong
The Twelve Hotel
The Twelve Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barna

Been to Ross Lake House Hotel? Share your experiences!