“Fairybridge Cottage”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oughterard
Fairybridge Cottage
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I went to Fairybridge Cottage for a 3 day break on the 6th of August to celebrate our 41st; wedding aniversary.
We've been going to Oughterard twice a yr for 16yrs now and we've stayed in some wonderful selfcatering lodges with lovely hosts, we've had 3 long weekends in Ashford Castle and none of them can beat Fairybridge , nor our host Mary Smith. I too was not sure of writing a revue because I did'nt want too many folks finding out about it, but because Mary is one of the nicest people I've met and the wee cottage is beautiful and in an ideal location, I just had to tell people about it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank grumpykate

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've long held off reviewing this place for purely selfish reasons - I don't really want too many people knowing about it, because it's that amazing!

My husband and I stayed her for 3 nights in February 2010 and had the most blissful time. Most of Ireland is shut for tourist business at this time of year, so we spent our time walking and cozying up in pubs (gotta love Irish pubs!). Fairybridge was the most welcome relief at the end of the day snuggled up in the warm hayloft - and the gorgeous breakfast supplies provided by the hosts ensure you start the day well (if a few lbs heavier!).

We actually got engaged to be married during our stay - I'm not going to credit Fairybridge with that entirely, but it's sheer magical, romantic atmosphere certainly added to the occasion!

We will 100% be back for an anniversary trip soon - can't wait!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank VGT1981
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Very quirky place. Lovely thatched roof cottage but overdone inside with all the nick knacks.
Unfortunately the hosts smoke and the smell is evident within the accommodation. Lovely location nice breakfast

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mike B
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Fairybridge Cottage: what a picturebook Irish sight it is, indeed. As twilight was falling, we drove from Shannon Airport to the beautiful little village of Oughterard and wended our way slowly down a country lane through a wet and blowly gale. We turned into a small parking area in front of the whitewashed and thatch-roofed cottage, its entry path lined with blooming rosebushes. A more fairy-haunted setting could ne'er be found. We chilled and tired travelers were welcomed at the door by Mary the Proprietress, who ushered us in under the low lintel and into the warm and inviting parlor with its turf-fire blazing, and showed us to our en-suite bedroom in the back of the cottage. The flower-strewn print on the counterpane-quilted four-poster promised a dreamy sleep ahead; and the new cream-and-floral bath fixtures were matched only by the faux-antique telephone (with digital dial) on the bedstand. All too quaint for words, indeed -- but it came together as cozy and charming.
After a deep and dreamy sleep under Fairybridge's down comforters, we were greeted next morning by The Full Irish breakfast, prepared by Mary with loving and abundant care. After feasting on the fresh fruit, egg and bacon, black-and-white pudding, sausages, grilled tomato, and lashings of strong French-Press coffee, we were ready for anything Connemara's wild reaches could show us!
You could not do better than to begin your tour of the Emerald Isle with a stay at Mary's cottage; it will put you in the mood for the fairyland that is Ireland, to be sure.

Room Tip: We loved the en-suite room in the back of the cottage, well separated from the other smaller room an...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Fairy Bridge Cottages: I have been passing through few times, coming from one of the unspoilt sides of Lake Corrib in Connemara; for me this place always looked like a dream accommodation: beautiful tatched cottages, it seems to be in a fairy tale. When we stayed we realized that it was even better than what we thought. It's a real photo spot, it's a bed and breakfast with lovely and friendly owners, it's a self catering cottage, it's a museum! The inside it's warm and beautiful like the outside, with modern conforts too (sky tv). The owner may give you a tour of his own place too (the other cottage, fantastic too). This place is also located near the town, the lake, the woodlands; perfect in everything. One of the best accommodation I have been in my life, I think. Pets are welcome!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I'm in two minds about writing a review - simply because we love this place so much, we'd be gutted if we wanted to stay there and it was already booked! We stayed in the self-contained thatched cottage (it was our second stay), which is perfect in every way. The hosts are fantastic - everything is provided and nothing is too much trouble. It's an idyllic setting, with gorgeous walks, a pretty little town nearby, good pubs and places to eat, and Fairy Bridge itself is populated by lovely animals (dogs, cats, chickens, etc) and even the odd friendly ghost or two, apparently! You'd be mad to stay anywhere else in Ireland at all!!!
My son has this to add: It is the best hotel i have ever stayed in, the people are very kind and i was sad to leave because everybody is so nice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank JackandRose1
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Beautiful thatched roof cottages in the middle of the Irish countryside. The owner - Mary - is a wonderful hostess and a pleasure to stay with. There are 2 separate cottages. One of them is a 1 bed 1 bath and sleeps 2-4 comfortably (it has a futon on the lower level and a full-size mattress in the rafters). The other is 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Not sure if she rents them out at the same time as I am assuming she stays in one while the other is rented. My wife and I stayed in the 1 bed 1 bath cottage. You have to climb a ladder to get to the sleeping chamber in the rafters. Mary is a very personable and pleasant hostess. She left fresh eggs from her chickens on the counter for us to have a fresh breakfast, and she stocked the fridge with all necessary ingredients to make your own Irish breakfast. Both cottages have full kitchens, microwaves, ovens, and hot/cold water. Showers too! The village of Oughterard isn't far from Galway. Very quiet countryside - highly recommended!!! My wife and I can't wait to return with our daughter once she's old enough. Note: due to the nature of the building construction and thatched roof, there are spiders present inside of the home. Not too many, but a few. Those with phobias beware! ;-)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple