Glengowla Mines & Family Farm Experience
Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Taking Sheep Selfies with the best!!!

We absolutely loved learning about sheep herding and seeing it in action. We had no idea how much... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Thislatinatravels
Great day out for a family with all ages

My family (all ages, 5-74), some from the States and some from Ireland, had the absolute best day... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
nanners88

Recommended experiences in and around Oughterard
from $47.56
from $704.65
from $607.75
More Info
All reviews gift shop panning for gold sheep herding our tour guide pan for gold well worth a visit sheepdog demonstration young man border collie family run great place to visit rainy day all ages couple of hours his job hidden gem great guide
Selected filters
Reviewed September 5, 2016

Excellent guides add to the experience of getting 130 ft underground in a former working mine. Consider this as a mine and not a cave the achievement of getting to this depth and deeper by hand is remarkable.

Below ground you descend and ascend via a concrete stairway rather than the Pitch Pine ladders used by the originators of this deep hole, there is no rush and the guide follows the last person up so you won't be left behind.

Above ground the mandatory gift shop and a large open area with a few remaining features. The price's are fair and you could probably spend one or two hours on site

Reviewed September 4, 2016

We took 2 kids to Glengowla Mines not really knowing what to expect and arrived in the car park with only a handful of car around. We bought our tickets and we were straight off on the tour with our knowledgeable guide. We were talked through the history and geology of the site and you couldn't helped but be drawn in by the family passion for restoring this site. The unexpected bonus for my lads was the very realistic panning for gems after the tour, I think they would've done that all day if we'd have let them.
The site is evolving and I think the future bodes very well for the expansion to deeper parts of the mine and the attraction as a whole.

Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

Impressive experience, very knowledgeable staff and guides: they really know what they are talking about and they LOVE IT. Fun to do for kids.

Reviewed August 29, 2016 via mobile

Was very interesting seeing the mines. Johnny was so passionate about the mines. Kids enjoyed the trip aswell. There is small shop and they have machine for tea and coffee. Great for short visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

Visited with my partner and four year old daughter. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Great introduction by the guy with glasses in the gift shop. Digging for gold is a great touch for kids, my daughter loved it, as did my partner and I. Our guide, Róisín, was very informative, friendly and also great with kids, without her I feel my daughter may have gotten a bit scared. Gift shop is also very good.
Would recommend