I agree with those who say this is a place for people who value tranquility and quiet relaxation over super modern amenities. Yes the decor of the rooms is somewhat faded but they are comfortable and the public rooms downstairs are cosy and have blazing peat fires.
Our host Henry was wonderful, keen, attentive, knowledgeable and super efficient. His wife Lucy produced vegetarian food for us which was the equal of the very best gourmet restaurants. Dinner at 8 is formally served but very relaxed, we kicked off our shoes and enjoyed the fine wines on offer. Then its back to those peat fires and comfy sofas for coffee and chocs. Everything is home made and breakfast is a treat with warm muffins and classic Irish soda bread.
Overall this is the perfect place to de-stress and let's hope it doesn't change .. it is a very special place
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ireland's longest running guesthouse now managed by the sixth generation of Hodgsons; 180 acres of private lake shore estate, comfortable surroundings offering a unique experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Currarevagh House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Currarevagh House Hotel Oughterard
- Currarevagh Hotel Oughterard