If the world's problems are getting to you, head for this place. Away from everything on the shores of Lough Corrib, this hotel [which was built by the current family's ancestors in 1830 and turned into a hotel by the same family in the 1880s and is still in the same family!] represents all that we feel we have lost that's calming, peaceful, friendly. The food is wonderful, no choice but given the quality of everything we were pleased someone else was doing the choosing. What it's not is a modern all-singing all-dancing place - there are no clocks or radios in the rooms - there is a TV room downstairs but when we were there for 4 nights nobody bothered to put it on [except to check the sports news!]. Many places advertise as being a home from home - this is the first one I've stayed in in 40 years of travelling that really felt like it - tea and cakes [homemade of course] every afternoon. Good company with a succession of guests from different countries - nobody monopolising the conversation - just interesting people. Henry and his wife and parents are true hoteliers. And I'd go back in a shot!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ireland's longest running guesthouse now managed by the sixth generation of Hodgsons; 180 acres of private lake shore estate, comfortable surroundings offering a unique experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Currarevagh House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Currarevagh House Hotel Oughterard
- Currarevagh Hotel Oughterard