“A Wonderful Experience”
Review of Currarevagh House

Currarevagh House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Oughterard
Reviewed September 29, 2012

It felt like a step back in time. We loved the breakfast and especially dinner. Being called to the dining room for dinner when the gong rang out was great. Lucy prepared a gourmet meal that was awesome and Henry makes a delicious Irish Coffee too. It was very peaceful and beautiful. It was a little far from Galway, so we didn't venture out at night, but we enjoyed walking the grounds and admiring the star lit sky. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We loved everything about Currarevagh, and felt as if we had been welcomed into someone's home rather than a hotel, despite our total lack of knowledge about fishing. The afternoon tea was a delight, and the breakfast notably included freshly-squeezed orange juice and smoked salmon. We had sought peace and quiet for a few days, and could not have chosen anywhere better. I can't help feeling that wherever we stay in future, we will conclude, "Well, it's all right - but it's not as good as Currarevagh."

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I cannot fault Henry and his family for their care and loving attention in maintaining this wonderful house. He was an excellent host and we had a very pleasant stay.
We do however feel exactly the same as JMHGlobetrotter; it just didn't live up to our expectations. I mainly found the other guests to be a bit snobby, and I got several down the nose looks from the older guests staying at Currarevagh. It was obvious that many of the other guests were regular visitors and it felt at times that we blended into the background as they knew the ropes. Breakfast was a bit backwards and I think if we'd been more tenacious about asking for toast etc we might have had a better time of it.
I agree that dining was more ostentatious than comfortable, and because the other diners were as quiet as the dead, we felt like naughty children misbehaving! This is of course not the owners fault, but I agree that by using some screens or breaking up the room somewhat, it would feel more private. It's also for this reason I'd say it's not that romantic - you could hear every word everyone else said! Food quality and delivery was excellent however.
I thought our room was lovely, but hated not being able to leave our valuables somewhere. Unfortunately, if you've been burgled as we once were, it makes you nervy and it would have been good to be offered the use of a safe as we couldn't lock our room. The water was a bit boggy, but I imagine that's to be expected in the area.

I think this is a perfect spot for an older couple who want a quiet break, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone in their early 30s like us, looking for a romantic country break.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

The previous reviews of the Curreravagh House pretty well cover this beautiful Irish home. Henry, along with his family, are the perfect hosts. They make you feel welcome from your first arrival to afternoon tea until after dinner coffee in the living room. It is off the beaten path, away from tv, phones although providind wifi in the common areas. Hiking, fishing, snoozing in the overstuffed chairs allow for plenty of down time to relax.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had started out researching the possibility of staying in a castle as a last night treat for my husband and i when we visited Ireland recently.For various reasons the castle option wasn't possible and then i came across Currarevagh House.I read the other TA reviews, thought the price sounded OK and booked it as a surprise for my husband.
I am so glad i did because he was completely blown away with the beauty of the house and surrounds. He couldn't believe that this was where we were spending our last night in Ireland which had been a fantastic holiday already.
A few days after booking I received a lovely email from the host Henry Hodgson who confirmed our booking and also asked if we would like to dine in as the House is some way from the town of Oughterard itself.
We did dine in and we also arrived in time for afternoon tea and all the food was fresh,tasty and beautifully presented.
Tea time there were 3 different cakes and macaroons, all made by Henry. I was so impressed to find the tea in the pot was made with fresh tea leaves and not tea bags. Sorry, bit of a tea snob! Dinner was 4 courses starting with smoked trout from the lake and finishing with petit fours (made by Henry) and coffee in the sitting room.
Henry's wife is a chef and the evening meal was memorable and more than enough food to fill any one up (and seconds and thirds were offered).
Henry's mother June, does a delightful job of meet and greet, providing wine advice and engaging the guests in conversation.
Our room looked over the garden and down to the lake and was a little tired around the edges but clean and the antique furniture added to its charm.
Breakfast was wonderful with a buffet of hot and cold food to help yourself with. It was the best breakfast we had in Ireland.
The lake is huge and sadly we didn't have the time to do much exploring other than the walks that are immediately in front of the house. The dog of the house, Millie came with us but lost interest when we stopped throwing her sticks. Such a cool dog!
When we checked out, Henry and June were both there to say goodbye and Henry carried our hideously heavy bags to the car.
Warm, friendly people, great food, beautiful scenery.....wish I could live there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charliedoggy
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is a great stay for a night or two if you like a laid back atmosphere with extremely friendly welcome and great food.
Henry, the proprietor, welcomes you on arrival and from then on is effectively at your beck and call. He is extremely knowledgeable about the area and is more then happy to organise trips or events for you too. The hotel has walks on it's doorstep and also some small boats that can be taken out on the lake.
The hotel itself is an old country house. Clearly the subject of many a hunting trip, the common areas are littered with examples of previous guests success at fishing and shooting although I'm not sure the tiger hanging on the wall was caught locally.
Dinner in this hotel is the highlight. Henry's wife is the chef and more then happy to adjust the set menu to anyones needs or wants. Call for dinner is old style with the sounding of a gong at 8pm the instruction to take your seats. Although at first it appears quite formal and reserved, you soon realise by the demeanor of the staff, including Henry himself, that they don't take it too seriously.
The food was exquisite. I wasn't sure I'd like all that was on offer but was glad I tried ( and finished ) everything that was put in front of me.
Retiring to the sitting room for coffee and home made chocolates topped off a great day.
The rooms are large and well maintained. The beds were comfortable and the windows can be opened if it's a bit stuffy.
All in all I really enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The place is ideal for a 'get away from it all' break in a lovely location (when you think you have driven too far and missed a turn - keep driving!) right on the lake , so if you are after peace and quiet this is your place.

The hosts are very welcoming and the place is comfortable (rooms are a bit spartan but fine as you don't come here to sit in your room).

The ambience is mini Downton Abbey and incongruously British for a hotel in the West of Ireland which some may find appealing and some may not. It is what it is.

Food was fine but i wouldnt rave about it as others have (set dinner menu with no choices unless you ask in advance) and portions are a little on the small side for my liking (they do offer second helpings but that only got me from small to adequate in portion size) but the restaurant is very brightly lit and not at all intimate - I would really recommend some soft lighting and some sort of screening / table separation to make the experience more enjoyable.

Walking in the grounds is nice and the hosts were very keen to provide helpful tips on day trips and the like. A nice touch on our departure was being given a piece of the lovely smoked cheese we had remarked upon as a gift.

Overall we tried hard to like the place more than we actually did and we're not sure who we knew that we would recommend the place to. Still it's a lovely spot and you will be made to feel very welcome.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JMHGlobetrotter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oughterard
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
#1 of 1 in Barna
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark

Been to Currarevagh House? Share your experiences!