“Okay but not great”

Beshoffs of Howth
Ranked #20 of 46 Restaurants in Howth
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 13, 2017

We had dinner at this place in June of 2017. We ordered the mussel pot and fish (cod) & chip. The food was okay, the mussel pot in particular has a good portion (but the mussel themselves do not have much meat). The fish & chips were okay but I wish it was a few small pieces of fish instead of one big chunk. Overall I found the food okay but not spectacular, and they don't have a lot of choices. Considering that they are affiliated with a fish market, this is a bit disappointing.

I also think their price is on the high side. Later I walked by another restaurant Bloody Stream and they had cheaper prices and the portions (peeking on their customers' plates) are similar.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

Great fish and chips in a nice surrounding just off the pier. Perfect for a bite to eat after a walk. Just across the road you can visit the Market and the is an icecream shop close by for your dessert

Reviewed June 4, 2017 via mobile

We visited here twice for lunch when over on our boat last week - sat outside with our dog Archie and really enjoyed. Had calamari, fish soup, and battered prawns- all excellent with wine and beers.

Now in Strangford on the boat and baked a whole seat trout for dinner which we bought for €10, and lots left for lunch tomorrow, also a fish pie to eat on our trip back to Scotland.

Highly recommend for buying fresh fish, also eating on the spot.

1  Thank Freddie M
Reviewed May 11, 2017

I went in here on Sunday afternoon by myself as my other half was occupied watching a football match. There is a restaurant but as I was solo, I didn't want to take up a table and look like Norma no mates, so I went into The Market part, where they have high stools and tables for 4 people or else you can sit at the counter by yourself. I ordered some rock oysters and a glass of wine, the bill came to €12, which you can't really argue with! The oysters came with a lovely shallot vinaigrette sauce, known as mignonette. They also have tabasco sauce for more adventurous taste buds.

There's a great buzz in here with the busy fishmongers in the background, it's certainly not quiet, but it's great fun, so I'll definitely be back. If you're travelling solo pop in here, you won't be disappointed! They also sell lovely chutneys, jams, lobster, quail etc if you want to bring some yummy food home with you.

1  Thank Jillian M
Reviewed May 11, 2017

The take away is very nice to visit staff very friendly very efficent place very clean you can watch tv as you wait for your order very reasonable

1  Thank maryodonnell15