“Forgettable experience”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Winner of Best Seafood Restaurant at the Good Eating Awards 2013
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our first visit to Findlaters and honestly, we won't be in a rush to return. I had the pan- fried crab claws and prawns in garlic butter and my husband ordered fish and chips. They were nice but nothing extraordinary, very little prawns for the price and three miniscule pieces of toast and the fish and chips the same, nice but really nothing that would make me say wow. Then come the huge minuses - starting with the kids' menu. As far as I can remember. it said a cordial or some juice included in the price, never appeared on the table. We ordered bangers, mash and gravy, got five overcooked coctail sausages and chips that came straight from the plastic bag bought in a supermarket. Dry and overfried. They brought mash later on but the gravy never came, instead they brought ketchup. The service was very poor in general. The girls are nice but it feels like they only started working as waitresses yesterday. We ordered tea at our arrival as the weather was so miserable. Only came at the end when I asked for it again. And the food took ages to arrive even though the reastaurant was almost empty.
Except for the absolute disregard and disrespect to children as customers who also should be served a decent food that most Irish restaurants seem to suffer from anyway, it certainly wasn't a culinary disaster but it wouldn't be my first choice to eat in Howth with so many decent places to eat.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

On day trip to howth we called in here for quick coffee and desert. We were sorry we weren't hungry as the menu looked great and good value. Will call again. Staff friendly, service quick and cheerful. Toilets clean. Athmosphere warm and inviting. Would love to stay longer.

1  Thank Ann Marie K
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had been to this establishment before and enjoyed a leisurely meal in the restaurant upstairs - mainly because you couldn't have been in a rush because the service was so slow but on that occasion it suited us. However, having visiting the bar this evening, just to nip in for a latte and a glass of coke, early evening on the first Friday after New Year's Eve in 2013 it took FOREVER for us to get served. We waited for table service but it didn't happen, so my partener went up to the bar and ordered the drinks. He was given the glass of Coke quick enough but then there was an unholy wait for the Latte to be made by the barman (I watched one of the waitressing make an Irish coffee in the flick of a switch) while my partner stood pateiently waiting for my latte to be constructed........in the meantime he had drunk his Coke up at the Bar - so when he finally brought my Latte back to the table I had to drink it at break-neck speed as he wanted to make a quick exit.......not surprisingly! Why didn't they suggest bringing the Latte over to us ? Shodddy Shoddy Shoddy. Heard from a friend a few weeks ago that the service here was desperate and the food forgetable......didn't think it mattered that much when we just went in for a swift refreshment but to be honest guys you really need to up the standard.....perhaps you think that being in a prime position in Howth where you capture the toursit one timer market you feel you don't have to try too hard? In this economic climate - I beg to differ! Step it up if you don't want to drag the Wright Group down ! AVOID

1  Thank Diane L
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Had Sunday lunch here, where welcomed in the bar and taken upstairs to our table, service was friendly and fast and order was taken promptly an food arrived in good time.

I don't know what the photo on this site for the chowder is from cause mine had no mussels or any kind if seafood only chunks of white fish. This was slightly disappointing as I love a good seafood chowder, May I suggest trying chowder off the food van by the water opposite it is amazing and full of seafood.

The main course was good nice beef and very tasty but needed more gravy for the mash as it was a little dry. Overall I really enjoyed my main course.

Toilets are small for the size of the place unless there is more than the one upstairs. Nice place to eat but if you prefer a quiet place with less kids running round then this is not for you and would suggest trying somewhere else.

Wright B, Public Relations Manager at Wrights Findlater Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear runath,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your lunch in the restaurant and have passed on your comments to the management and staff. I will also pass on the comment about the lack of gravy. I was disappointed to read that you were unhappy with our seafood chower and we will certainly address this issue.

In relation to the toilets, we have a larger bathroom downstairs and we have improved our signage for these.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Findlater in the future.

Kind Regards,
Avril Kelly Carter
Marketing & PR

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've eaten in wrights 2/3 times this year. What has made me come back to was their tasty spicy chicken wings. My last visit was a dissapointment though. They have changed the chicken wing recipe from spicy to peri peri, which doesn't appeal to me at all. I probably won't be back there to eat again as it was the excellent spicy wings that made Wrights stand out. Ah well.