“A great addition to Howth!”
Review of Ivans Oyster Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Ivans Oyster Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Ivans Bar and Grill, located on the West Pier of picturesque Howth Harbour, uniquely brings together the very freshest of local seafood with the highest quality ingredients fresh from the Market. Its interiors combine natural wood and tile finishes with plenty of light and airy views over the bustling harbour
Reviewed September 27, 2012

As a Malahide man originally, when I go home to see family I always make a trip to Howth. Recently I've found Ivan's and have to say its a bit of a gem! I like the restaurant, its airy and modern and in general the staff are great. On our last trip (during the tall ships event) the service was a little slow, but this was one person in particular and when I raised it with the manageress it was dealt with.
Food is excellent, and one of my party had the Lobster (and has eaten Lobster all over the world) and it was superb, perfectly cooked and good value. I had the mixed seafood platter which hit the spot, great fresh seafood washed down with some chilled white wine-a lovely way to spend a Sunday lunchtime!
Having read some of the reviews on here it seems a shame that they are negative, my experiences have always been good overall. Would I go back? For sure! I'm a fan of Ivan's and hope it continues to be a great success for both the locals and tourists. I took friends from overseas and they are already planning to go back on their next visit to Dublin!

1  Thank Alan O

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We ate here on 17/9/12.
As regulars to Ivan, you don't expect to be recognised or called by your name, but a good service is all that is required. Again, as regulars you also know many tourists are enjoying the area of Howth, both small and large groups, but watching the staff and Manageress fawn over a large table whilst, you get wrong drinks, late starters (blamed on faulty printer), 1 small slice of bread each, barely cooked starter... The ones they forgot, (main course of Lobster though was excellent... ) Then topped off with wrong tea... Regular instead of green, then given basically cheap supermarket green tea in pot for 2... You know a review is in order. Please get it right, we would hate to see Ivan's reputation ruined by poor management versus the food.

3  Thank gerrymac32
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On a sunny Saturday we drove to Howth to buy some fish and ended up having lunch at Ivans. They were featuring a lobster dinner with salad and fries for 22 Euro. I was born and raised in Maine, USA - the home of the world's BEST lobster - and had recently returned from a holiday visiit there where my wife and I ate loads of lobster so we were curious to compare. Unfortunately, the lobster was over-cooked and stuck to the inside of the shell (I have eaten perhaps 300 Maine lobsters in the shell in my life time and have never been served an over-cooked one there). The Ivans lobster was a bit tough and did not have the succulent sweet taste nor the firmess of a Maine lobster. I am happy to have had the experience but I will save my lobster-eating for when I go back to Maine next year. The restaurant itself is a stark and noisy room - better for lunch than dinner - and the wait staff needs a refresher course in attentiveness. Having said all that, we enjoyed our lunch and would return again to try something else.

1  Thank Gregory C
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Me and my husband went to Ivans around five times when we lived in Ireland. We absolutely loved it. The food was delicious, especially the shrimp cocktail. The another good food are all types of fish, fish soup and the potatoes with butter yummy. Definitely recommended it. The negative is that the food there is quite expensive.

1  Thank Anega
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A lovely lunch ,in a modern setting with someone strumming the guitar on a Summers day looking out towards the grassy park next to the harbour. Lunchtime was busy and we chose items from the mains menu.Sadly we were forced to order sides because fries did not come with our fish selections.The meal, service and presentation was super but we found our one course meal, pricey!

1  Thank KillineyBay