“Comfortable stay overall”

St. Aiden's Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 4 Rathgar B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and had a good experience. Room was basic with private bathroom. Irish breakfast was the best part with other options as well. It is not in a walking distance to downtown area but good bus connections. Hostess was very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ftoader

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were up for the Heineken and Amlin Cup finals and spent two nights in this accommodation. The location was good for us as we picked up the No 18 bus ( a fifteen minute walk to Rathmines) to bring us to Ballsbridge. We even walked back from Ballsbridge on Saturday night as it was a lovely night. There is a very regular bus service (five minute walk, 15/ 15A/ 65 etc) which brings you into the city centre.
We were made to feel very welcome by Marie on our arrival and our room was exactly what we asked for. We did not need any additional bed linen or pillows as there was ample on the beds. We were also able to leave a window open which kept the room at a good temperature for us. An electric heater was available if we had wanted to use it.
What I really enjoyed about my stay was the breakfast. On Saturday morning I had the full Irish and there was a wonderful variety on my plate - rashers, sausage, two eggs, mushrooms, tomato, white pudding, hash browns, bap and toast. This was complemented by a good assortment of cereals, juices, fruits, yoghurts, cold meats and other breads. There was a toaster if you wanted to toast these latter.
On Sunday morning, I had the hot banana pancakes and these were very tasty. I did not want to feel as full as I had on Saturday and my buddy in similar mode, asked for, and received, rashers and toast.
We left the premises feeling well satisfied and I would happily stay at St Aiden's again in the future as it is in a lovely mature part of Dublin with good access to city centre and the southside in general.

Room Tip: We had No 9 which appeared to be a room at the back of the house and was not bordered by any other b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We chose this guesthouse for its location close to the jewish synagogues and it's a short drive from SuperValu supermarket in Braemor road having a choise of kosher food.
Our hosts Kevin and Marie took special care of us and helped us with Shabath and meals arrangements.
The guesthouse is in a quiet and safe residential area. The short coming is that street parking is allowed only to locals. However you can park free in one of nearby very narrow alleys.
The breakfast is served in a bright and airy room. Again the hosts suprised us and suggested papaer plates and food to fit our demands.
All in al we has a lovely long weekend there and getting to and from the ring motorway is quick and easy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband, me and our 7 years old (at that time) were visiting family in Dublin in May 2011. The family lives in the area, that is why we choose this B&B in the first place. We did not read any reviews before getting there and were a bit nervous getting there. But we were so happy we came there.

What a wonderful and friendly place that is! We loved everything.
Our room was very great, had everything we needed, all the batroom stuff, tv and beds were great. My favourite was the little side table and chairs by the big window.

Kevin was super nice and very helpful. There were couple of nights that we felt cold ( not used to the wet weather) and he did turned on the heater for us in the room. (Mind you, it was in May, and in Ireland no heaters used at that time). Breakfast was awesome, there is a selection of juices, serials, milk, breads, etc. and/or you can have something else from the menu-pancakes, porrige or full irish breakfast. The coffee was freshly made just for you brought to your table in french press. We loved everything. Oh, by the way, the dining room has a bookshelf with many interesting books (including all kind of info on Dublin and Ireland) in it and we really enjoyed reading them during free time or even looking at them during breakfast. Also, if you have any qustion regarding Dublin or any road trips- just ask Kevin, he will gladly help you with it.

The B&B is only couple of minutes walk from the bus stop that can take you downtown.

We are planning another visit to Dublin in summer 2013 and thinking of stayng there again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LanaBee123
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I can't really review this guesthouse, because I never stayed there. I did make a reservation almost three months in advance, and St. Aiden's was the only lodging in a 14-night trip that required a downpayment to "guarantee" the booking. I paid the required deposit and sent a note to the host, inquiring about a reported discount for folks affiliated with a local Jewish community. He never answered, though I received an automated notice that my booking was indeed "guaranteed" at the full rate.

But one week before our intended stay, we were notified that St. Aiden's was overbooked and our booking was being "transferred" to a less well reviewed (and less expensive) alternative guest house. The notice said our new accommodations were "also popular with the community and quite close to the synagogue." So... he SAW the email about us traveling to visit the Jewish community, he just never answered it. Did he decide our reservation was the one that should not be honored on the basis of our religious affiliation? Who knows? And at the other guesthouse -- which was adequate but nothing to gush over -- we were charged the full St. Aiden's rate.

In two weeks of fabulous friendly Ireland nights, this was the only negative experience. It left me feeling badly about St. Aiden's.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda N
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The night we arrived we were greeted with tea and home-made cake (delicious, Marie). Things only got better. Of the 3 B&B's we stayed at in Ireland this was, by far, the best. Great food, comfortable and clean accommodations but, above all, wonderful hosts. Kevin and Marie don't seem to stop working to make one's stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VMZee
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed for four nights and would definitely stay again. Kevin was full of great ideas of things to do in Dublin and the transport instructions were easily to follow. The breakfast was delicious and huge, and the room was clean and relaxing. For the price, this guesthouse exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Caroline229
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathgar
Uppercross House Hotel
#74 of 150 in Dublin
Rathgar House
Rathgar House
#4 of 4 in Rathgar

Been to St. Aiden's Guesthouse? Share your experiences!