“Worth a visit”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gort
Dublin, Ireland
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We picked up a bargain deal from Pigsback for this Hotel. The hotel is located on the fringe of Gort Town, 5/10 minute walk. Idealy located as a base to tour North Clare, the Burrin or to drop into Galway.
Reception greated us in a professional & courteous manner, top marks, We located our room on the 2nd floor. Well appointed room, super large bed, wi-fi, tv etc. once again top class. Our friends stayed in a room further down the hall & they had the luxury of a walk in shower in addition to the bath. We felt a little jealous not having this luxury. Rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable.
The gym was well kitted out though I only needed the threadmill, no point in killing myself on a weekend away & the swimming pool was well maintained & of a good size.

All in all, this hotel was comfortable.

Breakfast was served in the dining room and this is were we found organisation a little lacking. Firstly, tables are set up but with no meet & greet. Tables are acquired on a first come first served basis resulting, on occassion, in a mishmash of confusion for the guests. Staff were lovely but on our first morning, the service was oh so slow. It was very busy & on stating such to one of the staff she replied that it was so busy the chef was having a melt down in the kitchen. This brought a wry smile to my face but if such was the case it could not have been good for the staff as they tried to serve the guests. Having placed our breakfast order, the toast arrived promptly as did the tea but the breakfast didn't arrive for a full 20 minutes after which resulted in a fresh toast & tea order. But we were in no hurry, we were just chilling out & the service did not upset us but it needed to be improved on. On the second morning, we ate a little earlier & the service was great. The food was the usual fry-up but lacked the frills, such as mushrooms, that we are accustomed to but as stated earlier, we got a super deal & we certainly were not starved. Again I state, the staff were sound at all times in all areas. We had our evening meals off the bar menu. Super food, super service & well presented.

Entertainment: none on Friday night but we had the company of M & M on Saturday night singing Country & Irish plus ballads & a little gentle rock and roll plus the added talents of the locals thrown in for good measure. A good night had by all. The Guinness was good but no better than that. Don't know the reason for that perhaps there was not a good flow on the taps that night.

My better half said on the way home, that whilst it was not the snazziest hotel we have ever stayed in, she felt so at home in the place and enjoyed it quite a lot. So my friends, the wife has spoken & we would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a quite break, or a family break as the hotel catered for the kids also. The only negative being the organisation at the breakfast room, but hey, your on a break so don't sweat it, particularly if you get a good deal like we did. Will stay here again.

A quick few words on Gort. A large enough market town but you can see the effects the recession is having on this and many other towns in rural Ireland with closed up buildings etc. Nice to see the Lady Gregory doing deals to get visitors into the area and spending a little if not a lot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tom C
USIT21, Manager at Lady Gregory Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
On behalf of the management team and staff may I extend our sincere thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in the Lady Gregory hotel. We are delighted that your overall visit was a positive one. I have shared your remarks regarding breakfast with both our breakfast team and head chef. All of these comments will be taken on board. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lady Gregory Hotel in the not too distant future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Touring with show all around Ireland since November. This is the best hotel we've stayed in. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms spotless, spacious and comfortable. Food excellent. Would have loved to stay for a few more days. Will definitely be back. Paul F.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul F
USIT21, Manager at Lady Gregory Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you very much for informing us know regarding your recent visit to the Lady Gregory Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you found it so enjoyable . I have shared your lovely comments with the team here and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hi Had a great stay here the hotel is Lovely.The Staff were great could not do enough for us the girl in the dinning room at Breakfast (Breda) I think that was her name was great we had a great laugh with her (Mr Lemon Head said to say Hello to you ) all the staff were very friendly and curtious to us and we will be back to stay here again Thank You again for a lovely stay. Couple from Cork

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mariegold
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

my partner and i stayed at the hotel on 8/03/13 for 2 nights, we purchased a voucher from pigsback.com, the deal was fabulous, but even more so when we arrived at this lovely hotel just 5 mins walk from the quaint town. Check in was quick and fuss free, the room was great comfortable bed, lots of towels and extra pillows and lots of HOT WATER!! Breakfast on both mornings was lovely, good choice of hot and cold foods and the staff worked relentlessly to make sure everyone was well catered for, sun morning being mothers day was very busy at breakfast and the waitresses were professional , helpful and pleasant even though they were rushed off their feet.
We had the carvery lunch on saturday and again it was delicious and for €9 we couldnt have made it ourselves for this. The waitress at this time was Sheila , she was very informative and friendly.
We could not fault any aspect of this hotel , and travelled nearly 5 hours to get to it and still tired as we were when we arrived , the pleasantries and professionalism shown to us was second to none and we both agreed that we would definitely return. Our only regret is that we didnt get to stay longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynnso_13
Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed 4 nights through a deal with Pigsback.com. Even though we stayed at a reduced rate it did not reflect on our stay. The staff were curtious, kind and very friendly. the room was clean, fresh, spacious and serviced with clean towels e.c.t every day. The food both breakfast and bar was excellent. We would stay in The Lady Gregory again,, and would highly recomened this hotel.!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Lady Gregory was a huge disappointment. The first room I checked into had no internet and most of the lights and TV were not working. Then I was checked into another room where the lights and TV worked, but the internet did not, so I had access to another room in another wing of the hotel- where I had to check my emails. Imagine heading out every few hours in the night to check emails (I am from the USA). The fourth room had lights, internet and TV, but the shower had scalding hot water. I sustained first degree burns on my chest, abdomen and scalp. The general manager seemed mildly irritated that I brought all these issues to his attention (it took 45 minutes for him to come up to look at the hot water situation- he was apparently in the bar!!) , and never once offered any gesture of goodwill. Instead he just advised me about the time frame in which each issue would be resolved. His apology seemed very reluctant. The excuses ranged from Eircom being a semi government agency (ergo: slow response) to not having a plumber on site- therefore taking almost a full day to deal with the shower situation. I just have to wonder, why I was given such treatment: Was this because I am not a 'local lad'? I lost a considerable amount of time dealing with these issues and had to miss work related calls due to a lack of internet access. There was a Leisure room not far from the bed room that had video games going on till pretty late in the evening despite the assurances of a junior manager that the room closed at 7pm.

Room Tip: Apparently only the rooms that are directly over the Teledex or Lady Gregory wireless boxes have goo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
USIT21, Manager at Lady Gregory Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Sincere apologies for your recent experience while staying with us from Tuesday February 26th to Tuesday March 5th. All our customers are important to us and we endeavour to ensure a pleasant stay.

In relation to the 45 minute delay in responding; I was in a meeting with a Bride and Groom who were getting married in a few weeks time at the hotel. We were finalising plans. As soon as it came to my attention I went to the room immediately. We take all issues and concerns seriously and I remember at the time that you were running late for an appointment. I asked if there was anything I could do to help and eliminate loss of time. I can assure you, if my apology seemed reluctant, that was not the case. I was anxious to rectify the issues which were conducted to the best of my ability.

I would love to welcome you back to The Lady Gregory Hotel in the future. Please contact me directly should the occasion arise.

Yours sincerely

Brian Morrissey
Midwest
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Under normal circumstances I would give this hotel a great review...it was clean, well maintained and offered great amenities. But unfortunately they failed in many ways and those made the stay less than satisfactory. For the record, our room on the second floor was quite nice: Well appointed, newer bathroom, all of it clean and tidy. The hotel itself was the same, well appointed and clean. Breakfast was a positive, full Irish breakfast cooked to order and a few continental offerings on the side.

So why did I give this a less than steller review? First of all: NO HOT WATER. No matter what the time of day, getting enough hot, or even just above freezing, water for a shower was impossible. The bathroom was beautiful, with a big, deep bathtub that I COULDN'T USE. The answer from the front desk was give it some time, but we stayed two nights and both days I had to take a 'navy shower', i.e. jump in and get wet in the luke water, turn it off to lather, and hope that when I turned it back on it might, pray God, not be freezing yet. That was hit or miss...mostly I was rinsing the conditioner out of my hair with fridged water. I'm sorry, but when you can't take a comfortable shower in a hotel it doesn't really matter how nice the rest of the hotel is...that is a basic function of a hotel room, to be able to sleep and wash up.

My other gripe is the wi-fi...it was hit or miss in the room, mostly miss. It would be great for a few minutes and then not work for an hour. Perhaps the hot water heater and wi-fi hub were both on strike together?

It really is a shame, because this hotel has so much potential. But no hot water? FAIL. And I have to say the staff were less than interested in our concerns...I am ALWAYS one to give the benefit of the doubt but felt they had no interest in helping us or working to correct the issues.

Room Tip: Not sure if other rooms would be better for hot water...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
USIT21, Manager at Lady Gregory Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Firstly, thank you for your opening positive comments regarding room design / layout and our cooked to order Full Irish breakfast.

We value all our customers, as can be seen by other Tripadvisor postings. Unfortunately we fell below our otherwise high standards on this occasion. As soon as the hot water was mentioned to our front desk, greater attention and concern should have been given to the issue. This would normally be the case with any guest concerns. If the hot water issue could not have been resolved in the room you were staying an alternative room should have been offered. I apologise that this was not the case, on this particular occasion.

Regarding the wi-fi: we have been experiencing technical difficulties with our Wi-Fi hub, which requires upgrading due to the high level of current users. This will be rectified shortly.

I welcome you back to The Lady Gregory Hotel in the future and assure you of a more than satisfactory stay. Please contact me directly so I can ensure you future stay is a pleasant experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gort
Hotel Woodstock
Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre
The Connacht Hotel
The Connacht Hotel
#21 of 45 in Galway

Been to Lady Gregory Hotel? Share your experiences!