Open today: 12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews church ruins amazing site burren area entire site wander around highlight of our trip century cows monastic attack clonmacnoise corofin grave history stone booklet ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2018

This is a fascinating site that rises in the countryside out of nowhere. It's not too far from Gort and has got a number of buildings you can walk around. I was surprised to find a site of this size in relative isolation. It made me wonder about the people who lived there so long ago...

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

I was driving from Father Ted's house and found this while on the road. I didn't really have time to spend and just walked around taking photos.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed September 23, 2018

Kilmacduagh Monastery was an unexpected gem. Our guide shared that this monastery was stripped when Henry the VIII was pillaging churches across the country trying to fund the start-up of the Church of England--seeing the site made this story really come to life because you could just imagine that moment of attack and devastation. It was the first stop on an all day tour out of Dublin and given that you see 30+ castles during the day and a lot of stone building is disrepair, I was not expecting much. I think the fact that the cemetery on site is still actively used gives the site an eerily appeal that is gorgeous. It's this juxtaposition of ancient buildings being in disrepair but a cemetery that has tombstones spanning generations.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 7, 2018

Some of the best experiences happen without planning. Driving from Doolin to Portumna Castle I saw this collection of ruins from the road. I wasn't in any way prepared to see these, nor when I got there did I see any attempt to commercialize this amazing site. The grounds were farmland, and cows were grazing among the buildings. There was a plaque briefly describing what these buildings used to be, and a sign saying booklets were available from the farm nearby. According to the sign this used to be an Abbey and a Cathedral, I assume in Celtic times before the Norman invasion of Ireland. Surprising to me was the graves in the churchyard which were in part very modern. So this is still a place of veneration. Also most surprising was the total lack of commercialization, of what I was later told by an Irish relative is regarded as a national treasure. Ireland can be a very surprising country.

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

We decided to take the trip back to Galway from the Cliffs of Moher through the National Park to see some different views and we are so glad we did. We happened upon this gem and we loved walking around the grounds. This is exactly what I wanted to see when I came to Ireland.