“Felt Right at Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Loughrea
Craig Country House
Ranked #1 of 9 Loughrea B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Spent 3 nights at Craig Country House and felt right at home. Mairead, Tom, and their beautiful family are so welcoming and kind. Rooms are comfy, clean and spacious. Breakfast is fabulous with the best scones in town, made from scratch by Mairead. The grounds are beautiful. And their very well behaved Jack Russell's keep you company when sitting outside having morning tea. The Craig Country Home is my # 1 pick in Crughwell. Loved it!! I miss my Ireland family already.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mary K

Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Craig Country House was outstanding! I could have stayed an entire week. Tom, Mairead, Kate and George were fabulous. I have never felt more at home, it was due to their outstanding hospitality. I have never met a more welcoming family. The place was spotless and made you feel right at home. I would highly recommend this B & B - it was by far the best! Thanks Tom for the fire every night - it made our stay extra special. Thanks again & best wishes to you all.

Room Tip: All fabulous!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patty K
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My family and I stayed with Mareaid and Tom for my sisters wedding. I have to say that I have never met a more delightful and hospitable couple in all the years I have stayed in B & Bs or hotels. I have worked in travel for over fifteen years as a Customer Service Manager so fully appreciate excellent service when I am privileged enough to find it (which I'm sad to say is not always the case).
We were made to feel as though the house was our own - and the effort that Mareaid made in assisting the bridal party was phemonenal. Both my parents are inhibited in their ability to use the stairs and Mareaid and Tom made a special effort to ensure they had a room designed to accommodate people with disabilities.
Their teenage children are lovely- very friendly and willing to chat- which was great when you have a four year old who doesn't mind who he talks to. Tom takes pride in his hounds which he kindly took my four year old to see. I hope we get to stay there again that I can take my husband and my other son to see them next time- they would definately appreciate it.
The breakfast was fabulous- I loved this place...highly recommended- I'll be going back there for sure- if not just for some peace and quiet. Thank you both for letting us stay and helping to make things so easy for the few days!

Room Tip: just let them know what you need and they will help...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ann Marie L
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Traveling with a group of friends from upstate New York our guide chose the the Craig County House for us to stay in for two nights. How lucky were we! From the moment we walked in, we felt welcome. Mairead and Tom were wonderful hosts and we were lucky enough to meet a lot of their extended family as well, hi Joan and Katie. From the BEST scones in Ireland. to an experience of a lifetime visiting the Hounds, and then on to an amazing night of conversation and song with their friends, it was a stay that we will remember for a lifetime. If your travels bring you anywhere near the Craughwell, this is the only place you want to stay.

Room Tip: Both the rooms we had were equally wonderful. They were roomy and had a great shower. What a peacef...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Linda G
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Very well furnished, very clean and tidy. Hosts Tom and Miried lovely. Was greeted with freshly cooked delicious homemade scones baked by Miried and in the morning Tom made me an equally delicious full irish breakfast. Bed very comfortable, all furnishings good quality. Good shower. Great nights sleep very quiet.

Room Tip: close to morans oyster cottage the weir kilcolgan
Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pennyleics
Reviewed November 27, 2010

My husband and I and some friends stayed 8 nights at Craig Country House (CCH) on a recent fox hunting trip to Ireland. I booked CCH for our group after reading guest reviews and am delighted to report that our stay couldn’t have been better.

Mairead and her husband Tom, owners of CCH, are wonderfully warm and friendly, which makes them perfects hosts for a stay in the Irish countryside. They also know a lot about the area and have good advice about what to see and where to eat.

We arrived about 10 AM and were happily greeted in the driveway by 4 adorable Jack Russell Terriers. Next we were warmly welcomed inside by Kitty, Mairead’s mother, and Angela, Tom’s aunt and invited to the kitchen for tea, toast and Irish Brown bread. This warm welcome was a great start to our Irish hunting holiday.

We loved the home and beautiful country setting! It is just a few years old but is very warm and welcoming, with tasteful decoration and spacious rooms. Looking out our bedroom window we could see horses grazing and the morning sunrise. The roomy bedroom, en suite bathroom (lots of hot water) and comfy bed were perfect for resting our weary bones at the end of every busy day.

Every morning Tom or Mairead produced a generous, sumptuous breakfast which kept us going until dinner time. You won't leave hungry! There was something for everyone; juice, coffee, milk, tea, yogurt, fresh cut fruit, cereals homemade breads (Irish Brown Bread, Scones, Croissants) Toast, Oatmeal, pancakes, Eggs, sausages, and rasher bacon. That bacon was so delicious – nothing like we can get in the US. We also had 3 dinners at Craig House and all the food was delicious. I came home a few pounds heavier…a testament to all of the good food at Craig House.

From Craig House, one can visit the Cliffs of Moher, Galway City, the Burren, Athenrye, Bunratty, Connemara, Ashford Castle, Kylemore Abbey, Roscommon, and MUCH, MUCH more. It's an easy one hour drive to/from Shannon. It was wonderful to stay in one place and not pack/unpack daily plus we truly looked forward to coming home each night and having a few words with Tom, Mairead, Kitty and Angela about the days activities. Most of the time we spent fox hunting and we had a lot of stories to share with the family. Tom is a huntsman and we were able to ride with him for two hunts. We would have loved to have been able to ride with him more but we had plans to also visit other hunts in the area.

The closet village, Craughwell, has 3 pubs where you can unwind with drinks and dinner and is a quick couple of miles from CCH.

If you are planning a trip to Ireland, we highly recommend Craig House. You’ll arrive as strangers and leave as friends!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank LindaA99
Reviewed September 30, 2010

We had a great visit with our hostess Mairead. The building is only four years old and it is beautiful - most definately the best B&B facility that we have stayed in. Mairead made us feel at home, recommended a lovely restaurant, served us a beautiful breakfast. the location is great for those transitting into Dublin from Kerry or Dingle as we were, or visa versa. Right by the main highway between Galway and Dubin. Truly a wonderful stay and would recommend this B&B to all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple