“The perfect holidays for horse fans”

Slieve Aughty Riding Centre
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Loughrea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Slieve Aughty Riding Centre in the west of Ireland offers horse riding and donkey walking, kids birthday parties, and pony rides for seasonal festivals or for the fun! The centre's 25 horses and ponies are suitable for everything from the nervous beginner to the advanced rider. Facilities include a 30x50 all weather outdoor arena, cross country course, and miles of trails for scenic treks. Beside the riding centre is The Three Towers Eco House and Organic Kitchen, where you can grab a bite to eat after your ride or stay the night as part of a package riding holiday. Ponies carry children to the Enchanted Forest and back, and riding can be booked by the hour or by the day.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We spent a week in Slieve Aughty the middle of July this year, and this was not our first visit there. Again we enjoyed the wonderful hospitality, the coziness, the delicious food and the riding, of course. We did both trekking and took lessons in the arena. The trekking took us through a magnificent Irish forest, which is a great way to relax and forget all the troubles of everyday life, not to mention the opportunity to take in the air full of fresh flavor of flowers and pine trees. The groups are small and are generally fit to your level and desire, so we were able to trot and canter as well as walk, both in the forest depths and on more open paths. The horses are calm and friendly. Although perhaps not as relaxing, the lessons are also good; ideal for those who want to improve their skills. Speaking of which, I wish I were a more advanced rider and could have taken advantage of the cross-country course.
English lessons on site were very convenient for my daughter. It's always good to train your brain a bit, even on holidays.
The super cozy Three Towers is a perfect place to have a glass of beer in the evening and enjoy good company. Although there is no restaurant within walking distance, there is a small bar nearby where you can enjoy a drink and unwind. Though, truth be told, after a full day of riding your first and only instinct is to head off to bed and dream peacefully of the blissful next day's ride ahead of you.

1  Thank Nadia_Volkova
There are newer reviews for Slieve Aughty Riding Centre

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I am very glad to live just half an hour from Slieve Aughty Riding Centre! We visit regularly for my daughter to have riding lessons and for our family and friends to take a trek together. The beautiful buffet lunch and dining area make a lovely finish to the trek. Depending on the abilities of our friends, the staff always carefully select appropriate ponies/horses and every riding experience has been just right for the rider. The surrounding forests, rivers and views make the trek a wonderful way to see Ireland. The staff are always warm and relaxed and appropriately professional regarding the safety of each rider. Thank you all for being where you are!

1  Thank philipshort
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My partner and I took a long weekend to stay at The Three Towers and experience what Slieve Aughty had to offer. We are both horse owners, lovers and avid equestrians in TN, USA. Although I am a frequent / intermediate rider, I have to admit that upon arrival to the stables at Slieve Aughty I was a tad intimidated by the size of the horses. I began to question my riding abilities at first. Those concerns were quickly set to peace with the amazing staff and trainers not to mention the incredibly calm dispositions of the horses. For those considering a trip, I should share that I am a 'newer adult rider' who wavers in confidence from time to time. I share that with attempt of saying that you do not have to be a life long rider to enjoy this place, its peace and the amazing connection you will feel with their horses! If you have never ridden or are an entry level rider, this is the place to take that ride you have always day dreamed about! The horses are well trained, the trainers are extremely knowledgeable about each horse and extremely cognitive and conscientious towards those in their tour. If you are like me; love horses, enjoy the thought and experience of riding but question your ability - you don't have to question your ability here! Its simply amazing!

As a horse owner, I tend to pay attention to the things I look at each time I step into my own barn and pasture. I noticed that each horse was perfectly shoed, groomed and each held a very healthy frame. The horses were keenly fit, well tended to and visibly happy. As we rode, my first observation was how well each horse was trained and responsive to its rider. Then I was taken back by the scenery. As we entered the ride, the picturesque romantic Ireland countryside took my breath. The feel of the air and mist, the smells of the forests, trees and greenery and sounds of the horses was purely mesmerizing. As the trails became more complex and exciting, the horses and the leader were confident and settled in any obstacle we took on. In those moments, this adventure felt surreal; like I was outside watching in! The trails we rode on were unimaginable; Challenging to both horse and rider, beautiful and ideally 'Irish'! Absolutely magical! The horsemanship of the handlers, staff and trainers was amazing! Each horse was treated with complete freedom, respect and true partnership with individuality and sincerity. I was amazed to not only see but feel the same peace and calm in the horses that I felt as a guest! Hands down this is one of the most amazingly kept equine facilities I have visited!

In watching training exercises of the horses, my dreams and goals for my own horse grew. Not only did I walk away from a long weekend at the riding centre with a purely magical adventure that I will remember for the rest of my life (with wishes of reliving it), but I have new goals for me and my horse. I also carry a growing inspiration from such a pure and original riding extravaganza to help carry me to those goals. A truly magical (and life changing) adventure!

A heart felt THANK YOU to the team and staff of Slieve Aughty, Jenny for helping with so many things in our stay and a special acknowledgement for Esther in following her heart, dream and keeping a truism to her goals and passion of making Slieve Aughty and The Three Towers what it is today! I am forever grateful to this establishment and its team of staff for such a memorable and magical adventure!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Myself and a friend stayed in the Three Towers for a night and went on a lovely woodland hack for an hour. My friend hadn't ridden in years, and was given a quiet mount that suited her perfectly. My horse was a joy to ride, with perfect manners! The ride was blissful, one of the most enjoyable hacks I've ever been on. This was followed by a tasty dinner, made more enjoyable by the company - we shared our table with some other guests and had a great chat. The staff are friendly, the horses fabulous and the area is peaceful. Perfect for a weekend or a longer break.

1  Thank MeFein_Dub
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my first trip to Ireland and being a horse enthusiast I really wanted to see the beautiful Irish countryside on horseback. I wanted to see something off the beaten path---"real" Ireland. I don't think we could have made a better choice. The horses here were well cared for, well trained, and the horses were fitted to our riding ability. This was not a boring nose to tail trail facility. Our group consisted of experienced riders and the trails were quite challenging. My horse (a Friesian) was awesome to ride. The entire experience, from riding to our stay at The Three Towers to the food was stellar. I would highly recommend to anyone who appreciates a slower pace, nature, real people and is not impressed with pretention. I would love to go back!