“Love this place so much!”

The Hungry Bookworm
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Loughrea
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hungry Bookworm is a cool place to chill with a book and a glass of wine, or enjoy good company in our great atmosphere. Choose from a variety of delicacies on our very reasonable menu ranging from Spanish tapas to our chef's own variations on classic dishes from around the world. Our highly trained baristas will also be happy to make you any gourmet coffee or tea you feel in the mood for. So pop in, read a book and relax in the warm comfort of The Hungry Bookworm.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I always look forward going here when I'm home in loughrea. Great food/wine and friendly service. Had lots of lovely meals here with different friends and they all loved the place. well worth a visit if your passing through loughrea or if you live near buy.

1  Thank Rorymcg3
There are newer reviews for The Hungry Bookworm

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The first time I ate here was at night in a party of 6 adults, it was a work night out and being fair I couldn't complain about it bar the fact that there were 3 items not available on the menu by 9pm when we were ordering. However I have been there twice in the last 6 wks, on the first occasion I ordered soup which was not available at 2pm on a saturday?? I ordered a glass of orange juice from the menu for my daughter and she was handed a carton of Super Value orange juice with no straw!! Obviously this was not what I had expected and when i asked what type of blackcurrant juice was available which was the only other option on the menu the waitress stated it was the same type.. I left disgusted and shocked that they would actually serve this !! On the following occasion again I visited with my daughter and we ordered pancakes and fresh fruit as were treating ourselves and really hungry, again I was left shocked when our 1 small pancake arrived with a very small portion of 2 strawberries and 6 blueberries at a price of €6:95 each which I later discovered was the same price as the 5 star G Hotel in Galway, for that visit i paid €18.20 for 2 pancakes, a handful of fruit , 1 coffee and a small glass of 7up which was ordered in a can and yet we were not served the can only a glass of fizzy drink, Overall an absolute disgrace!!!

5  Thank 157Ash
Karl H, General Manager at The Hungry Bookworm, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Ash,
I was very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time in The Hungry Bookworm. We always strive to give our customers the best experience possible so please allow me to formally apologize if you were not content with yours. All the ingredients we use in our kitchen are organic and fresh; we therefore need to buy them on the day. This is most likely the reason that some items were not available on the night in question. We have noticed this problem and have remedied it since your visit.
All our soup is made fresh from scratch by one of our chefs on the day. This makes it a very popular item on our menu and it usually runs out very quick. As it takes a long time to prepare, it is not sustainable to make more than a full tureen a day.
I was surprised to read that you did not enjoy the brand of juice drink we stock here. We chose this over the leading brand as it has received better reviews for quality and taste. This brand has a straw inside the sachet for hygiene reasons as opposed to outside.
Our Buttermilk Pancakes are also made fresh from scratch each day and I have been reassured by our chef that we always serve two in every portion. The organic berries we serve with the pancakes are expensive to buy so we therefore put less on the plate to reduce wastage. If you wanted more, our staff would have been more than happy to give you some free of charge.
For health and safety reasons, we do not serve cans of soft drink to our customers. This is because soft drink cans can have sharp edges which are dangerous for younger visitors. We instead pour the can into a specially sized glass designed to contain the full 330ml from the can.
I hope you have read the above points and will consider visiting us again and thank you for your feedback.
Eat, Read, Love!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Genuine and friendly staff, comfy chairs, interesting environment and delicious food with terrific presentation on the plate.

Three adults and one baby had a fantastic time here yesterday. Thank you so much, I wish I was in the area more often so I could hang out here.

1  Thank Traveloid3000
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Lovey atmosphere, nice coffee, nice food but a little on the expensive side! But a lovely comfy place to enjoy a treat!

1  Thank JoanneGalway
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Goujons a little overcooked for my daughter but my salad was lovely. Lovely books to read and good service

1  Thank cmcc5573