“Love this "place" but the service.......”

The Hungry Bookworm
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Loughrea
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hungry Bookworm is a cool place to chill with a book and a glass of wine, or enjoy good company in our great atmosphere. Choose from a variety of delicacies on our very reasonable menu ranging from Spanish tapas to our chef's own variations on classic dishes from around the world. Our highly trained baristas will also be happy to make you any gourmet coffee or tea you feel in the mood for. So pop in, read a book and relax in the warm comfort of The Hungry Bookworm.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hungry bookworm is possibly the nicest cafe i have been in Ireland. It is so relaxed, beautifully decorated, sensational food and menu and coffee can be great. I have yet to eat something that wasn't exceptional. My family often visit me in loughrea and always look to go here. However, the service is slow, now I dont mind waiting for the food but the service you get when you walk in the door isnt the best. Twice I have left due to not even being acknowledged 15 minutes into waiting (and it wasn't that busy). Some of the staff are friendly, some are less. maybe if they know you personally the your OK, otherwise you will wait. My boyfriend is so reluctant to come here with me due to the poor customer service (but i do twist his arm occasionally)

Having said all that, I still love this place and the food. Maybe the aim is not to be rushing, and that is great, but sometimes it would be nice to be made feel that your visit (and money) is appreciated. I will continue to go there as it is relaxing but perhaps the owners/managers might reflect on this review and make it a little more enjoyable.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I can say in all honesty from start to finish this was a fantastic experience. My girlfriend and I made a late reservation and were dealt with so nicely. Arrived to a lovely warm welcome from the young man running the floor. He really looked after us well and walked us through the menu as we ordered a few dishes that we were going to share. Also he perfectly recommended wine to go with our food choices which he presented and poured perfectly.

Now even after his advice I insisted on ordering a cheese board as my eyes are a good bit bigger than my belly and as it was tapas style I presumed I would be hungry enough. Whoops. Portions are more than generous. And the most important thing was the quality. WOW !!!! And WOW again. Having experience in the industry I have an appreciation for the time ,effort and passion that goes on behind the scenes to put out food so fresh and tasty. The brunette was divine. So fresh and full of flavour. I could list everything we ate but to be fair we made a good dent in the menu. Sufficive to say every thing was gorgeous. I couldn't stop eating the little caramelized roasted almonds on the side of the cheese board. Addicted!!!! Dessert was another triumph . I would return solely for the chocolate brownie with its molten chocolate centre. Mmmmmmmmmm

The chef / owner came around to all the tables at the end of service and was so nice , and so knowledgeable about everything that came out of her kitchen. A really nice touch. So rare to see it.

All in all if your anywhere in the vicinity of Loughrea or Galway or Westish this is worth a visit. So happy we stumbled on this little gem. Amazing food, lovely friendly warm atmosphere. Terrific value for money. Very hard to tare ourselves away from the place. Another bottle of wine and they would never have gotten rid of us. Wish I could uproot the whole thing and take it home to cork.

Fantastic. Keep up the outstanding work!!!

2  Thank RonanCah
Reviewed October 17, 2012

what a place, whether you want to relax to read the paper over a coffee or to meet friends and have lunch, highly recommended to anyone in Loughrea locality, the food is fantastic and served in imaginative ways. love the decoration with its many old antiques a lovely relaxing and serene place to visit

1  Thank Avonlea2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

the idea is great, the ambience is really really nice, I love all the books and the furnishing BUT food portions are so small for those prices AND it takes forever to get a coffee. I'm all up for tapas but at the right prices, if Galway city can pull off reasonably priced tapas, most certainly Loughrea can as well

4  Thank SadieWhite
Hungry_Bookworm, Manager at The Hungry Bookworm, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Hi Sadie. First off, I'd like to thank you for your review of our restaurant and the time you took to give us some feedback. We always love to hear from our customers and any feedback is welcome, good or bad. I'm sorry you were kept waiting for your coffee, but we are understaffed at the moment and busy lunchtimes often make it hard to fill so many drinks orders. We are working to improve this. As for the portions, I must admit that our pricing has been slightly out of proportion in the past. Our menu has changed however, and I'm sure that you will find our new one much more to your liking. We encourage you to try some of our new items such as our baked crab claws or our marinated chicken kebab; no longer tapas per se, but still retaining the sharing aspect of the cuisine. Thank you again for your review. I hope you haven't been discouraged from visiting our restaurant and we hope to see you again in the future.
Eat, Read, Love. - The Hungry Bookworm

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Whether you want to have some quiet time to yourself, browsing through a book and enjoying a coffee or catch up with some friends over a tasty lunch, The Hungry Bookworm is perfect. Like a home away from home everyone is catered for. There is a children's reading corner and a covered seating area out the back. The cozy relaxed atmosphere makes it easy to unwind and forget your troubles. Parting was the sweetest of sorrows.

1  Thank Maria B