“Outside no, Inside yes”

Taste Matters
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Loughrea
Cuisines: European, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual restaurant with interesting delicious food & genuine hospitality.
Ireland
“Outside no, Inside yes”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

If I hadnt read reviews before going I wouldnt have gone inside. Taste really does matter in this very deceiving restaurant. The food, the wine and the service all contributed to a wonderful evening, so much so that we returned again before leaving the area.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank 095Mary
Jirka H, Owner at Taste Matters, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
What a lovely review! Thank you kindly.

“Better than good ”
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

First time there after hearing reviews from many friends who have been there . A real treat - we were not disappointed . Will be back .

Jirka H, Owner at Taste Matters, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
Thank you! I am glad we lived up to your friends reviews. See you next time! Jirka
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
“wonderful surprise in Loughrea”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Well, you would never know from the outside of this unassuming looking place, but there is some great cooking going on.
I visited Taste Matters recently out of the blue. I discovered an absolutely unmissable restaurant if you are within 50km. Its a small restaurant, but full of enthusiasm for very local produce and innovation.
The wine list is laid out in an interesting way that allows one to sample any (except the 1er cru) wine in a selection of volume from tasting glass to large glass to caraffe to bottle, now thats flexibility. The picopol was delicious as was the sangiovase.
The food was seriously better than the average fair with a modest number of courses all excellently presented. In particular I would recommend the Corgette and quinoa vegetarian main and the lamb, served two ways with barley,chickpeas and tzatziki. all in all a very pleasant surprise and a highly recommended eatery!!:)

• Visited August 2014
Jirka H, Owner at Taste Matters, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
It is a great pleasure to get a feedback like this, the appreciation of what we are trying to do. Thank you so much for that and I hope to have you back when in the area again. With regards, Jirka
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Taste definitely does matter...”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Food was top quality, very fresh and full of flavour. Service was good and waiter was very friendly. Chef prepared salmon beautifully and was excellently presented. Will certainly return and would encourage everyone to sample their delicious cuisine...

• Visited August 2014
Jirka H, Owner at Taste Matters, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Many thanks for your kind words! I look forward to serving you next time.
Galway, Ireland
“How could it go oh so wrong???”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I have eaten in this place before and gave it 5 stars as I loved it. Sadly this time I had a shocker. 3 weeks ago my family and I ate lunch here, we arrived at 2pm and was lucky enough to score a table outside. The table had just been used so was full of dirty plates. No worries a waiter was taking an order on the only other table outside, I smiled at him and sat down. 10 mins later and nobody has come near us, finally the waiter dropped out the food to the other table and was heading back into the resturant until I stopped him and asked could he please clean the table and take an order. He said he was sorry and took half the plates and said he would be back. We looked at the menus on the table and were ready to order.another 10 mins went past!!!!
He finally came out and we started our order, as we did his face scrunched up and asked us what menu we were ordering from, the one on the table I answered, no he said that was not the menu for that day!!! So off he went and was gone another 5 mins.
The table across from me had to leave their table 3 times to get the drinks they ordered, desert menus and coffee.
So the waiter arrives back and gives us the menus and finally clears the table,(not wiped, we had to do that ourselves). The menu was pretty plan with little to choose from so we both went for a pasta and chicken dish, the kids(who were getting restless now) ordered seafood chowder and a chicken and chips.
Back to waiting again............................At this stage I would have walked out but I was starving and was confedent that the wait would be worth it. I was wrong.
A waitress come to serve the other table and looked at me asking was I alright???? Was there anything I would like. "Yeah some food would be great" I told her we have been waiting over 40 mins now for food, and I was getting very annoyed with the wait. We were served some water after 40 mins and still we waited.
The food arrived after an hour............., mine was first, Chicken pasta on some green veg, boys oh boys it was plain, my wife had the same with tomato base, plain as well. Also it was not served with parma cheese as said on the menu. My daughters soup came last, it must have been under the hot lamp for the whole hour as it was burning to the touch.
I dove in and was unimpressed with the taste, or the lack of it, the same went for my wifes food. Here is the killer, the soup was horrible, my daughter was saying it was yuk, but the kids can be like that. so I tasted it, she was right. Thay had used sweet potato I think which gave the soup a caramel taste, so wrong on so many levels, plus we found fish skin in the soup.
At this stage I was ready to blow my top, but to their credit the waitress DID come out and say sorry and that we would not have to pay for the meal. A close call as it would have been very difficult to pry out money from me for the bad food/service.
I have worked in the service industry as well and know that we all have bad days, but if you are going to display 5 star trip adviser on your window you must maintain your standards. It is like getting a Michelin Star, very hard to get, even harder to keep.
Would I go back again??? I dont think so, they were kind to cut the bill but the food for me was below par, they must have been short staffed, but in fairness clean the table and serve drinks till the food arrives.

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank Laurencenichol
This is a painful one.

This particular Friday lunch your review refers to has already cost us two unfavourable reviews, which only shows how even one slip can harm the business. We are, of course, very aware of this fact and we rarely slip. It is impossible to be 100% all the time, but in the four years we are in business we have built up a very good reputation not only for great food and service, but especially for consistency in quality; be it food or service.

Unfortunately, that particular Friday was the rare occasion, where things just go wrong. I was the waiter on the day and with me there was a trainee waitress. As explained to the previous reviewer, it was an unusually busy lunch which came out of the blue. Lunch is always a bigger strain for kitchen and front of house as people tend to come together around the same time and most people only have short time for the meal. It was no different this time, only much much busier. Unfortunately I did not manage the situation well that day and I am very sorry this resulted in poor service for you.

It is clear from your review you were very unhappy and disappointed with your last experience in my restaurant and it was clear on the day too. Unfortunately your disappointment clouded your judgment of the food. All the dishes were of our high standard. There is no sweet potato in the Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup, the Pasta dishes come plain (without sauce), as mentioned on the menu, seasoned and with only a drizzle of infused extra virgin olive oil to showcase the fresh organic veg in them and yes, there is the fish skin on some fish in the Seafood Chowder soup. I do admit the service you received was poor, but I refuse completely your comments on the food. Kind regads, Jirka