“nice hotel but could do with a good clean”

Lough Rea Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Loughrea
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Just back from staying the Lough Rea hotel for New YEars Eve. it was a pleasant stay but I would have to comment on the cleanliness- Wardrobes very dusty, bathroom sinks not properly cleaned and an inch of dust under the bed and behind the bed. Restaurant was also very dusty on partitions and whole hotel needed a good vacuum. I had a toddler with me and so this was how I noticed things as he was running around. It is relatively new but if it continues like this it will be very chabby very quickly. There was a wedding on in the hotel and we could hear the band in our room together with the booms from the night club situated beside it. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 29, 2010

Myself & my boyfriend stayed here as part of a getaway break deal. Upon reading some mixed reviews I didn't really know what to expect but after our stay I can safely say this truely was a fantastic hotel. We got a warm welcome at reception on arrival; a very helpful receptionist who had no problem giving us directions over the phone once we got nearer the hotel! Had dinner in the hotels restaurant one of the nights and although it was quite pricey it woz absolutely gorgeous. The hotel bar is so warm and friendly with the same to be said about the staff; a very relaxed atmosphere. As was said in reviews the lighting in the rooms was quite dull but I found this added to the warm atmosphere; and you could always take off a lampshade or two if ya needed extra light! The room was almost faultless; a double (2 beds pushed together) but had a nice tv and loads of space. Bathroom also lovely with a nicely powered shower; the shower rail was quite low down in our bathroom though, not good had we been a bit taller! We only stayed 2 nights and the room was cleaned once with shampoo etc. restocked aand fresh towels provided. Although we didn't actually go to the adjoining club it seemed decent. We could hear some music at one point but weren't at all kept awake with it. A nice play centre adjoined for the children too. The hotel itself is in a good location; just off the motorway yet just 5 minutes walk from the town;there's a path from the hotel straight into the town too. Loads of nice pubs and restaurants with the lovely lake to view also. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2010

The boom boom of the disco went on until around 2 am. My room seemed to be directly over it and the noise level was horrendous. When the disco finished, I hoped to fall into an exhausted sleep but groups of revellers kept congregating in the car park and having shouted conversations until 5am. The hotel is clean and comfortable but it was the scene of a crime against sleep for me. Even the few reasonablly priced pints - at 3.50 good value - could not sedate me against the noise.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank spiceloft
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Stayed one night in the Lough Rea Hotel & Spa. Food was absolutely amazing. Had breakfast, lunch and dinner and was not disappointed. The Food was a fabulous experience by itself. The bedroom was so dark. As a woman, a girl needs good light to put on her make-up and to be able so see what she is washing whilst in the shower so it doesn't help when your doing everything in the dark...... Receptionist wasn't very friendly. Spa wasn't great. A few of the services were not working & no water or fruit whilst in the relaxation area which was bizarre & very unprofessional. Also, I specifically asked for a "Quiet" room as realised there was a nightclub attached & love my sleep so didn't want to be disturbed. There was a wedding taking place in the hotel so not sure which music I heard but it was loud & found it difficult to sleep. Beds were comfy though !!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed here while touring Ireland on my own. Good value. The hotel is very modern and elegant and clean. The room was super nice with the exception of the desk chair being broken (but who cares). I ate room service for dinner and it was good. The bed was comfortable. The only problem was the noise. The pub scene downstairs is loud. If you are single and love that sort of thing you would probably like it. They had live music late into the night (Saturday night). The music did not bug me in my room. I could not even hear it. The problem was the noise of the machinery on the hotel's roof. It woke me up several times in the night. A really loud machine started making noise at 6 a.m. and I decided to give up on sleep and get up early. The plus side of this was that I was the first person at breakfast and got excellent service. The breakfast food was very good, and there was LOTS of it. Full Irish breakfast plus pastries etc. in buffet-style so you can eat all you like.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I understand this hotel is quiet new. It feels like they have not mastered the art of good service yet and with a bit more effort this could be a good hotel.

A number of little things bugged me - the lighting is poor, the toilet in the bar had no toilet paper, the restaurant was not open on Sunday evening, there is a nightclub on the complex and whilst noise was not too bad there was the reminents of the morning after the night before outside the hotel the next day, the self service breakfast selection was poor, it feels as if there needs to be more artwork as still a sense of a blank canvas in the communal areas.

The biggest disappoinment was the spa. Whilst the decor was beautiful the experince was terrible. The spa closes at 3pm on Sunday. We went back on Monday to be greated by a receptionist with a big cardigan on that was new and did not really know how to run the spa; the solarium, sauna and ice room were not working and the member of staff could not fix it despite several phone calls, there were no therapists available to do treatements, no cups for water, no music playing, magazines were 4 months old. I had the rasul mud chamber and lets just say it was a real experience - I had to put the mud on myself, told to sit in a room for 50 minutes and then shower it off in a cold shower - the worst spa experience I have ever had and was definately more worked up leaving as opposed to relaxed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola_Strudley
Reviewed August 26, 2010

i cannot praise this hotel enough for the way they looked after us for our wedding.there was so much attention giving to us and our friends and family.the staff were excellant ,evertything was served quickly and was piping hot ,all our guests couldnt praise the hotel enough and it was great value and of the best quality food.i would highly recommend this hotel for your wedding we aso had our ceremony here and it was made very special for us

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughrea
Meadow Court Hotel
#17 of 46 in Galway
Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Oranmore Lodge Hotel
#2 of 5 in Oranmore

Been to Lough Rea Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!