“Best of Kilkenny”

Mount Juliet Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This hotel is one of my favourites. Have been a guest staying overnight, also attended weddings and used all the facilities. Pool is a bit small but as I am not an olympian it suited me fine. The setting is wonderful, the best of lush Kilkenny county. I think the trees are amazing in every season and I have been there in all seasons. The staff might not all be from Kilkenny but are well trained, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are best!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carmel K
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Mount Juliet and for your lovely remarks which are a pleasure to read. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us soon again.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last week for one night with friends celebrating a special occasion. I must say that Mount Juliet is a very special place. We loved it and had a most enjoyable evening. The bar before was cosy and the other guests chatted with us which lead to a very relaxing atmosphere. As for the meal - we had it in the Lady Helen restaurant. We chose not to have the taster menu, as one of our guests is somewhat fussy as to what he eats!! Well the food was magnificient - we were all delighted with our choises. The Michelin star was well earned. All I can say is that it deserves whatever awards it gets! The only fault I found was that the wine was very expensive.
We were upgraded to a superior room. The room was beautiful, quiet, and the bed very comfortable, but for for people in their seventies it was a long climb up to the second floor.
The breakfast was also beautifully cooked and presented and the staff were very pleasant at all times. It was a pity that the weather was so wet and wild, as the grounds looked magnificient and we would have loved to have had a good walk around. Hopefully the next time!

Room Tip: If you are elderly, ask for a room on the ground or first floor, as there is no lift!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Mount Juliet. I am very pleased to read your kind comments and delighted you all had an enjoyable time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

An amazing trip, horse ridding, cycling, hours spent playing in the pool and exploring the grounds without ever needing to get into a car! The Gluten Free range of food was superb and made freshly to order. All the staff could not help enough and when I phoned 2 weeks later to see if I had left my shoes there, they located them and posted them too me, just fantastic service through out!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Noelle O

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic review of your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed many of the activities available on the Estate. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon again at Mount Juliet.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here over New Years. The hotel and the grounds are absolutely beautiful. The decor is in keeping with its time, so if you like romantic old world charm then this is definitely the hotel for you. Our room was also nicely decorated, and very spacious. We ate in the Lady Helen restaurant for New Years Eve as part of the Gala Ball, it was pleasant but to be honest I've had nicer, I don't think I'll ever forget the strength of the goats cheese mousse!! The breakfast in the hotel was only okay, it did exactly what it said on the tin so to speak. We ate in the clubhouse twice over the course of the 4 days, unfortunately both times the service was shockingly poor and no apologies were made for this but the food was very good. The leisure centre reminded me of something from the early 90's, anyone who saw that show the Brittas Empire will know what I mean. All in all we had a pleasant stay, it was relaxing and romantic which is exactly what we had been hoping for. Unfortunately its not hard to leave with the impression that the hotel is trading strongly on it's setting and wedding trade, as overall it lacked that wow factor you might expect from such a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AineACork

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for completing a review of your recent stay and thank you for your comments. However, I was disappointed to read that some of your experiences were not up to the standards you expected and I very much regret this. Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you may consider returning to Mount Juliet in the not too distant future when I trust your next experience will be a more memorable one.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights and had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend on all levels: from the food, the rooms and the grounds. For those that like Downton Abbey, Mount Juliet provides that feel although with a modern Irish twist and excellent hospitality. Do note that this is an old estate home so it does not have elevators. I packed a bit heavy and felt horrible when I witnessed the porter lug it up 3 flights.

Our room was nicely decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable, I practically melted into it. Best nights sleep I've had in awhile. We had dinner at both of their eating establishments, the Kendall and the Lady Helen. Both where excellent and I would highly recommend either.

While staying at Mount Juliet take some time to tour the grounds, the views are beautiful-from the gardens to the horses and colts that dot the fields.

During our stay we even went shooting which the hotel offers and it was so much fun! I'm far from a gun nut and have actually never held one prior (well minus at arcades) but it is must do if you have the time. The game keeper was terrific. He helped a novice like me get over the jitters of the recoil and I was knocking down clays in no time.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Mount Juliet. I am delighted you had such a pleasant stay and appreciate your fantastic comments. We hope you will visit us again in the very near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We're just back from a fabulous two night break in Mount Juliet. We stayed in the manor house in a beautiful room- The Earl of Shannon which had a beautiful river view. Everything was superb and faultless. The staff were welcoming and very friendly especially Edwin in the bar and Maurice in the Lady Helen restaurant. The food in The Lady Helen truly deserves its Michelin star and is an absolute credit to the Head Chef and his team- magnificent.. The Spa is also lovely and relaxing. The estate itself is also beautiful. As we stayed midweek - Thursday & Friday it was exceptionally reasonable for what was on offer (including the Michelin star meal). Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your wonderful review of your recent visit. Thank you for your fantastic comments, in particular in relation to Edwin and Maurice. We look forward to offering you an equally enjoyable visit when you next return.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Lovely old house, great food , pleasant walks and what beautiful countryside. A personal feel to everything, it was like being a privileged house guest in a country manor. The staff were warm,friendly and helpful. The Lady Helen restaurant surpassed expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your stay at Mount Juliet. I am delighted you enjoyed your dining experience in the Lady Helen Restaurant. Thank you again and we hope you visit very soon again.

General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate
Hotel Kilkenny
Hotel Kilkenny
#5 of 19 in Kilkenny
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!