“"Oh My--Oh MY" PURE BLISS!”

Mount Juliet Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
ireland
“"Oh My--Oh MY" PURE BLISS!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This review is a little late in coming to you on our opinion on Mt Juliet,we stayed for a few days in December2012 in the main house attending a wedding,which was carried out axactly as planned,the staff are so genuine and helpful,nothing was too much and all requests carried out with a smile.
It is such a relaxing country hotel and the surrounding land a pleasure to walk,cycle,ride around,be it in december ,april or high summer!
golf course very good and well kept.
all the bedrooms seemed very cosy ,and decor in keeping with the style of the house,suites to die for and so roomy,
the lady helen room for dinner was excellant and i could honestly say we had the best venison ever,it cut as if you putting your knife through butter(irish --of course!)the christmas festival was on so there was plenty of action and excitement about.for some unknown reason,iwe do not like the pool---no reason,had a massage,fine.
would we go back?without a doubt.by the way,we attended a wedding there,well done,mt j.!

Room Tip: take one of the suites overlooking the river,if too pricey,take one that gets the sun.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank coleen10
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Mount Juliet. It is a pleasure to read your wonderful comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you both back on your next visit.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Bristol UK
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A surprise visit, arranged by my wife, who (a long, long time ago) learned to drive on the private roads of the estate whilst it was still privately owned. We (and a friend) had a two night deal here with golf included. Our room(s) were in the main house which has the authentic faded Anglo Irish feel. Above average size, with "old fashioned" Bathroom fittings. Very pleasant outlook over the river. The first evening we ate in the restaurant (Kendals) which overlooks the driving range (separate from the main house). Nothing stood out on the menu but overall we had a very pleasant meal. Breakfast both mornings was taken in the Lady Helen restaurant - really lovely room (try to get the window table) & a very nice selection of fresh dishes from which to choose.
For our second evening meal we decided to go for the Tasting Menu with wines in the LH restaurant. A really good choice although some of the dishes were more regular portion than
tasting. Yes I know, we didn't have to eat all that was put before us but it seemed a shame not to. A nice touch was a surprise delivery (not ordered or requested) to the table of a plate of hand made chocs (We think our server must have overheard us discussing a birthday celebration)

We had 2 rounds of golf on the estate which were again very pleasant but we were perhaps
expecting more of a "resort" experience than we received.

Our main disappointments were

1) How grubby/dusty the public rooms were. We also had the impression that guest rooms were only superficially cleaned .
2) Golf : No starter on the 1st Tee with Tees/Scorecard/Welcome etc
3) Golf : No staff in the Halfwayhouse - at Mid-day..........
4) Golf : Ladies Restroom at the HalfwayHouse was not cleaned on a daily basis

Overall : A really lovely place, very peaceful & relaxing. With more attention to detail, this could really make the top 10 of "must visit" hotels & golf.

Room Tip: Ask for the bedrooms in the main house which overlook the river & stud farm
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank djaym
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your recent review of Mount Juliet. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit but disappointed to read that your overall stay did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We endeavour at all times to ensure that our guests have a memorable time at Mount Juliet and trust your next visit will be up to standard. Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Booked a two night, 1 dinner package off the Mount Juliet website for my wife's birthday weekend. Immediately contacted by email to see what dinner, spa or activity bookings we would be interested in. All bookings requested made effectienly for us. On arrival very impressed by surroundings. We had a river room room in the old house. Right on the top floor. Room and bathroom both spotless and well appointed. Nice view also. Had dinner in Kendals restaurant on both evenings. Very impressed with food quality and service. Plenty of good walks around the estate. Also used the SPA.Treatments were good if not great and staff friendly. One thing that initially annoyed me was that the SPA, Pool, Kendals restaurant etc are in a different, unconnected building to the old house. This was not clear on the website. However by the end of the stay we didn't even think about it, and was actually nice walking back to the main house after dinner on Saturday evening, even though we were offered a lift by the hotel shuttle. Breakfast very nice on both days. All in all a very enjoyable trip. Would stay again and would recommend to a friend.

1 Thank armaghace
Dear Guest,
I appreciate the time you have taken to complete a review of Mount Juliet. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay and thank you for your kind comments. Thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Dublin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel and every staff member we met was fantastic. We stayed in the Club House rooms which were beautifully decorated and ate in the Lady Helen restaurant where the food was super. In the restaurant we had possibly the nicest server we've ever encountered. Morris was so friendly and helpful and was full of tips and information about the estate, Kilkenny and the restaurant itself. He really is brilliant at his job and is a credit to the hotel and restaurant! Breakfast in the clubhouse was well stocked, nothing you could have wanted for. Overall it was a superb experience and one I have told many people about since returning!

1 Thank Fiona G
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent visit to Mount Juliet. I am delighted to read your wonderful comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments in relation to Maurice, it will give me great pleasure to pass these on to him. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked a two night break with one evening meal off the Mount Juliet web site. On check in we were upgraded to a room in the old house which was a bonus. Unfortunately we could not get our dinner in the old Helen restaurant as this was booked out (we had tried a week before we were going on our break). Thankfully Kendals restaurant was top class and we doubted the old Helen could have been much better. Great choice on their menu and very few supplements for those (like us) who are on the inclusive dinner package. Staff in Kendals were friendly and the overall atmosphere in the restaurant was really good. The bars in the clubhouse and in the old house were quiet enough but I suppose it's not for the bars that people go to mount juliet for! Our room in the old house was fine, it was really warm even though the radiators never seemed to be on. It was small but adequate and clean. Bed was comfortable and we had a really good sleep. Breakfast in the old Helen was excellent with great choices of hot food from a menu. Service here again was excellent. All in all we had a really enjoyable break, very relaxing with great food and nice staff. Will be recommending Mount Juliet to our friends & families.

Room Tip: Try to get into the old house
1 Thank Smithwicks78
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Mount Juliet and also for your superb comments which are very much appreciated. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the various elements of your break with us. Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back to Mount Juliet very soon again.

Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend in Mount Juliet Hotel and cannot begin to describe how truly wonderful the place is. We arrived Friday evening tired and weary and John the Porter took charge immediately as he came out to greet us and took our luggage and lead the way to reception and then to our room. The reception staff were so friendly and check in took about a minute. On arrival to our room our first impression was jaw dropping. We had a river view and although it was one room, it was made up of a lovely sized sitting room then bedroom with huge bed and the thickest pillows I've ever come across! My husbad usually goes hunting for extra pillows but there wasn't a peep out of him. The view was stunning with the river Nore sailing past at speed as there had been quite a lot of rain (really, in Ireland?!!!). Beyond the river is a stud farm where you could see mares with their very new foals larking about and beyond that again, forrest. We dragged ourselves down to the bar for a well deserved pint of the black stuff and Edwyn the bar man was a peach! Really friendly and when asked, gave us the low down on things to do, places to see etc. Lovely guy. We went up to the Presidents Bar for dinner (well, Ireland were playing football against Sweden (they drew) and we were told there was a tv in the bar, hence the (husbands) decision)! Food was excellent and the service was second to none. After a good nights sleep we had a sumptious breakfast. Fresh fruit followed by the tastiest Eggs Benedict on smoked salmon - I want the chef to come home with me! After a lovely day we were joined by two friends who live close by, for dinner. They decided to stay the night as they didn't want to drive and thankfully they had a room available in the Rose Cottage. They did a very good deal for them on a last minute basis and the ROOM was pretty much their own private cottage. We had a peek in and, like the hotel, high end, high quality and first rate. We had dinner in the Kendalls restaurant and the food was superb. I had a mushroom starter followed by a goats cheese pasta dish and I have to say it was probably the nicest meal I've ever tasted, ever (no offence darling Mum and husband!!!). We finished up back in the hotel with hot whiskeys (it was cold out in our defense) and then had another great night's sleep followed by another fantastic breakfast for all four of us. The menu is truly fabulous with kippers, porridge etc. All in all, the hotel is so beautiful, so well appointed, lovely and quiet, friendly staff, log fires roaring away, people reading, the tinkling of laughter coming from the dining room. I truly cannot recommend this place highly enough for a totally relaxing weekend away from it all and the nicest staff and clientele. I want to go back and I want to go back now!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view
2 Thank taratrip
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay at Mount Juliet. We are delighted to read your wonderful comments and will ensure that all staff members, particularly the ones that you mentioned, are made aware of them. We look forward to offering you an equally enjoyable visit when you next return.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Recently I booked a pregnancy massage in the Mount Juliet Spa.
It was the best massage I had in my life.
I am six months pregnant And I can say I was little bit worried as I did not know what to expect.
My therapist Sinead was just great, very gentle and she knew what my needs and expectations are.
It was my first night after the massage without any pains. Great!!!
I will be definetely back in 4 weeks time for another massage.
Thank you Mount Juliet Spa and big thank you to Sinead.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Aga1980
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of your visit to the Spa and for your kind comments regarding Sinead. It will give me great pleasure to pass your comments on to her. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Langton House Hotel
Langton House Hotel
#1 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!