“Great relaxing break!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mount Juliet Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
“Great relaxing break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked a two night break with one evening meal off the Mount Juliet web site. On check in we were upgraded to a room in the old house which was a bonus. Unfortunately we could not get our dinner in the old Helen restaurant as this was booked out (we had tried a week before we were going on our break). Thankfully Kendals restaurant was top class and we doubted the old Helen could have been much better. Great choice on their menu and very few supplements for those (like us) who are on the inclusive dinner package. Staff in Kendals were friendly and the overall atmosphere in the restaurant was really good. The bars in the clubhouse and in the old house were quiet enough but I suppose it's not for the bars that people go to mount juliet for! Our room in the old house was fine, it was really warm even though the radiators never seemed to be on. It was small but adequate and clean. Bed was comfortable and we had a really good sleep. Breakfast in the old Helen was excellent with great choices of hot food from a menu. Service here again was excellent. All in all we had a really enjoyable break, very relaxing with great food and nice staff. Will be recommending Mount Juliet to our friends & families.

Room Tip: Try to get into the old house
1 Thank Smithwicks78
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Mount Juliet and also for your superb comments which are very much appreciated. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the various elements of your break with us. Thank you again for your time and we hope to welcome you back to Mount Juliet very soon again.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend in Mount Juliet Hotel and cannot begin to describe how truly wonderful the place is. We arrived Friday evening tired and weary and John the Porter took charge immediately as he came out to greet us and took our luggage and lead the way to reception and then to our room. The reception staff were so friendly and check in took about a minute. On arrival to our room our first impression was jaw dropping. We had a river view and although it was one room, it was made up of a lovely sized sitting room then bedroom with huge bed and the thickest pillows I've ever come across! My husbad usually goes hunting for extra pillows but there wasn't a peep out of him. The view was stunning with the river Nore sailing past at speed as there had been quite a lot of rain (really, in Ireland?!!!). Beyond the river is a stud farm where you could see mares with their very new foals larking about and beyond that again, forrest. We dragged ourselves down to the bar for a well deserved pint of the black stuff and Edwyn the bar man was a peach! Really friendly and when asked, gave us the low down on things to do, places to see etc. Lovely guy. We went up to the Presidents Bar for dinner (well, Ireland were playing football against Sweden (they drew) and we were told there was a tv in the bar, hence the (husbands) decision)! Food was excellent and the service was second to none. After a good nights sleep we had a sumptious breakfast. Fresh fruit followed by the tastiest Eggs Benedict on smoked salmon - I want the chef to come home with me! After a lovely day we were joined by two friends who live close by, for dinner. They decided to stay the night as they didn't want to drive and thankfully they had a room available in the Rose Cottage. They did a very good deal for them on a last minute basis and the ROOM was pretty much their own private cottage. We had a peek in and, like the hotel, high end, high quality and first rate. We had dinner in the Kendalls restaurant and the food was superb. I had a mushroom starter followed by a goats cheese pasta dish and I have to say it was probably the nicest meal I've ever tasted, ever (no offence darling Mum and husband!!!). We finished up back in the hotel with hot whiskeys (it was cold out in our defense) and then had another great night's sleep followed by another fantastic breakfast for all four of us. The menu is truly fabulous with kippers, porridge etc. All in all, the hotel is so beautiful, so well appointed, lovely and quiet, friendly staff, log fires roaring away, people reading, the tinkling of laughter coming from the dining room. I truly cannot recommend this place highly enough for a totally relaxing weekend away from it all and the nicest staff and clientele. I want to go back and I want to go back now!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view
2 Thank taratrip
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay at Mount Juliet. We are delighted to read your wonderful comments and will ensure that all staff members, particularly the ones that you mentioned, are made aware of them. We look forward to offering you an equally enjoyable visit when you next return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Recently I booked a pregnancy massage in the Mount Juliet Spa.
It was the best massage I had in my life.
I am six months pregnant And I can say I was little bit worried as I did not know what to expect.
My therapist Sinead was just great, very gentle and she knew what my needs and expectations are.
It was my first night after the massage without any pains. Great!!!
I will be definetely back in 4 weeks time for another massage.
Thank you Mount Juliet Spa and big thank you to Sinead.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Aga1980
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of your visit to the Spa and for your kind comments regarding Sinead. It will give me great pleasure to pass your comments on to her. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here on Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th of March on a two night B&B and dinner on one evening package. The hotel is fabulous and we stayed in the manor house (main house). I booked a classic room and dinner in Kendals restaurant on the Sunday evening. I tried to book the Lady Helens restaurant a couple of weeks in advance for the Saturday night but I could not get a table, which was disappointing as we were guests of the hotel.

On Saturday we checked in at around 2 PM. Our room was not ready so we decided to wait in the bar and have a coffee. The bar was really nice to sit in and the service was good. We had booked spa treatments for 3 PM so at 2:40 we decided to check if our room was ready. I was told that the room was ready and a very disinterested receptionist handed me a key, and said you are in room 21 and then ushered us away. I stopped and asked were the room was and after making a face and rolling her eyes she replied that it was on the 1st floor. Before I could respond to this, one of the other staff members, who was clearly more helpful, stepped in and said that he would show us to the room and take our bags.

The room was to the left of the entrance on the 1st floor. The room was really nice and was nicely furnished, it was very small but we were happy enough. We then went and had our spa treatments (full body massage each) which was really enjoyable. After this we went to the Presidents bar for a bite to eat, we found this to be over priced for bar food and the quality only okay.

We then went back to our room to relax for a while and we realized that the TV remote was missing, the safe was broken, the fridge was not stocked and the room service menu page was missing from the book. I rang reception and they sent up the menu and we finally got a TV remote about 1 hour later. Later on we found that the room got really warm and the cause for this was that the radiator was stuck on and could not be turned off. As a consequence we had to sleep with the window open and didn’t sleep well as we could hear lots of noise from outside as we were right beside the entrance to the hotel.

The next morning we went for breakfast which was lovely with a great selection to choose from. When we returned to the room reception rang and offered an upgrade to a river view room for the second night because of the problems we had had. This was very welcomed and was a really nice gesture by the hotel. The room its self (room 22) was miles apart from the other room. It was large and very comfortable with an amazing view. However oddly enough it did not have a fridge or stereo were the other room had. If you are staying at the hotel I would suggest paying the extra money for this room as it is streets apart.

We then went and did the clay pigeon shooting and archery, the guy instructing us could not have been more helpful and made it really good fun. After this we went horse riding and again we had a great time. I’m a total novice and the girl instructing us was great and very helpful. I would highly recommend both of these activities.

At 9PM we went to Kendals for dinner (this was included in the price of our package). The restaurant was not busy, for our starter we both had Carpaccio of Veil and for our main course we ordered the salmon and a fillet steak but we were told that they had none of either of these left, so we ordered the rib-eye and trout. We both found the starter to be only okay as the veil was cut so fine that you could barely get it off the plate and it had a big blob of sour cream on top of it. Our substitute main courses were nice but we were really disappointed by the fact that the other two mains we ordered were not available. This isn’t acceptable for a 5 star resort and if they don’t have them they should not be on the menu. We ordered the selection of sorbets and a pecan and apple crumble for desert, neither of which we finished as they were not very nice, thumbs down for Kendals.

On check out I thought the bill seemed a little high but on quickly checking over the bill I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary so I paid. When I arrived home I examined it in greater detail and found that I had been charged 90 euro for dinner in Kendals on the Sunday night. I rang the hotel and they told me that I had had my inclusive dinner in the Lady Helen restaurant on the Saturday night. When I explained I did not they apologised and promised to charge the 90 euro back to my account.

All in all the location and setting is lovely but I felt it was let down by the customer service and quality of food which I feel is all well over priced for the standard received. Yes we were upgraded for the second night, which does go some way to redeeming the hotel but to then make another mistake and over charge on the bill was a bit much. I spent over 1000 euro for two nights on accommodation, food and activities and to have that number of problems with check-in, the room, food quality, not being able to get a table in the main restaurant and being over charged on the bill is simply not good enough.

Room Tip: The classic rooms are noisy and small, more suitable for one person, its worth paying extra for the...
4 Thank rsmyth
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments regarding your visit to Mount Juliet. I am disappointed to read that your overall stay did not meet your expectations. I take on board your comments in relation to some matters you have raised and will work through each one on an individual basis with the assistance of the various Managers. I regret that you did not have the opportunity to dine in the Lady Helen Restaurant during your stay. Thank you again for your review, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

stayed in clubhouse, fabulous room, cosy bed, right next to leisure centre, spa, bar, and kendals restaurant, unbelievably convenient for everything we wanted. were offered upgrade to main hotel but declined as its a bit of a walk from restaurant and leisure centre. food and service at kendals was top notch. goats cheese starter was not nice at all, but choc fondant dessert was the best ive ever had. sat by the open fire in the bar for a drink afterwards. really nice evening.
pool area is nice, sauna, steam room, but no jacuzzi...?? not a big deal. breakfast was really nice buffet and plenty of choice. the only thing that annoyed me was that they ask on the check in form what newspaper you would like for the morning, and then at check out we were charged for it. i only read the paper at breakfast and they had the paper there for free anyway. not exactly a big cost, but i just don't like that sneaky charge. would i return? definitely. ill bring the clubs next time.

Room Tip: if using the leisure/spa facilities or eating in kendals restaurant, stay in the clubhouse room, the...
1 Thank davidc1981
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your overall visit, however, disappointed that you were unhappy with some aspects of your stay. I would like to thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Booked in as a Christmas present for my wife. We have a young baby and it was our first time away. The website promotes it as a family friendly venue. I booked well in advance and requested a cot. we were disappointed to be put on the 1st floor with no lift. We requested a ground floor room and were told the only one they had was a disabled room with no bath. We obviously need a bath for the baby so we took the upstairs room. We had to ask 3 times for the cot and it finally arrived at 10.30pm! The dining room is also not suited to young family's and we had to leave before our meal was finished. The next day we decided to go for a swim around 1pm but were told that no kids were aloud in the pool between 12-3pm as it was reserved for members. The pool was totally empty!!!At no point was I told that I was paying 5 star prices for limited access to the facilities. This is no way to treat paying guests. This is a couples place and should not be marketed towards family's.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ian d
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I apologise to you for this. In our efforts to accommodate all our guests, children’s hours are between 9-12pm and 3-6pm each day and children are more than welcome during these times. However, I regret these times did not suit you during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mount Juliet in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Mount Juliet house is old world elegance, cosy and comforting with rooms that won’t disappoint you.

Room 19 called ‘The Earl of Carrick’, is a river view room overlooking the river Nore which from the window looks like a silvery gash in a lush green landscape.

The room is large with a walk in wardrobe and large bathroom with separate shower. Natural light is good and clever use of fabric and a calming colour scheme adds character to the room.

A deep pile carpet muffles the sound of creaking floorboards beneath. Window shutters and sash windows add authenticity to the country house feel.

There are in room tea and coffee making facilities but no mini bar or in room dining except for room service breakfast. This does not detract from the experience.

In the evening with curtains drawn, well placed mirrors reflect lights of different shapes and sizes which add interest to the room.

The drawing room and other public rooms are magnificent and we loved the wood burning fire in the hall.

There are seemingly endless activities such as equestrian, fishing, golf, walking, but we were happy enough to enjoy the immediate surroundings of the country house and sinmply do nothing.

If you are travelling down from Dublin, then Kilkenny City and castle is well worth a visit or stop off a few miles before Mpoount Juliet in a little place called Bennetsbridge where you can get a decent coffee and home cooking in Nicholas Mosse.

If you like picturesque villages then close to Mount Juliet is the hidden away village called St. Mullins.

The Bircher muesli let breakfast down just a little but for dinner my goodness a delicious dining experience awaits you.

We ordered the ‘Lady Helen signature tasting menu’ for dinner and we were bowled over by the presentation and taste of each of the eight course tasting menu.

We love food and enjoy visiting some of the most respected restaurants in Ireland and abroad. The food served at ‘The Lady Helen’ on this evening 14th March was so incredible it was simply the best we have ever tried anywhere. The chef was in such a good mood.

If the opportunity arises and if Head Chef Ken Harker and brigade Rowe are on duty you are in for a real treat. The food they produced has to be the stuff Michelin stars are made of and we can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 19 called 'The Earl of Carrick' decent size, recently renovated, natural light and nice...
2 Thank Christine747
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback following your recent stay at Mount Juliet. It is a pleasure to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that in particular, you enjoyed your dining experience in the Lady Helen Restaurant. Thank you again for review and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Langton House Hotel
Langton House Hotel
#1 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!