“Amazing Amazing Amazing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Kildare Ireland
“Amazing Amazing Amazing”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Had our Christmas Party here and we all stayed over. From Start to Finish the staff were amazing. All you could expect from a five star hotel-and more. I stayed the night before and had dinner in the italian restaurant in the hotel- Francinis. Lovely food and wine and a reasonable price. I had the pumkin ravioli - beautiful. Sauce nice and light. The dinner for our function was delicious. Everything came out hot and looked amazing. I cannot reccommend this hotel enough. All of the bedrooms are of a very very high standard - the best in fact that I have seen yet. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and reception staff made sure we were checked in efficiently. The spa and pool are beautiful too. Great choice from the breakfast menu. Buffet style or order form the menu on table. I would certainly reccommend this for a special weekend or even for families with children. Lovely gardens to walk in if your lucky enough with the weather. Events team are the best I have worked with too. A real treat XX

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing. Deluxe rooms are big enough and are of a very high standard but the su...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pahef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Greek first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed before and liked it. We took the kids this weekend and availed of the santa experience. The 'pantomime' style was outdated and pirate theme was non-seasonal. We stifled a yawn. Loved the pool and the room was nice. Bed particularly comfy.The setting is out of this world and had the weather been better kids could have blown off steam. Really nice staff. Enjoyed the weekend overall but it just didn't feel like 5***** – I wish it did!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mobile phone cover -- we had none with Vodafone on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anita J
cork
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here on a living and social package earlier this month.
Our package included one nights b&b for 2 with a main course in the Italian restaurant.
Having arrived at 3.30pm the room was ready so we settled ourselves in with a cuppa. The hotel room was very high spec and very spacious.
We then went to the pool to be greeted by a not so friendly male member of staff at the spa reception with a real bad attitude.It was obvious he didn't want to be there.The Pool however was lovely, as was steam room.
Before dinner we checked out the bar which was very cosy and inviting.Staff were very pleasant.
Dinner in the Italian restaurant was really tasty and girl who served us was very nice.
Breakfast next am was a bit too " faulty towers" for my liking! The table beside us had got their tea and toast but there was no cup on the table for him to drink his tea.No staff had noticed even though the tables were pre set!!! A different couple, behind us, had got their tea but no one came to take their cooked food order.That lady had to call someone to do that, I mean really,in a five star! Id expect better service in a b&b!!!Our cooked breakfast was delicious so compliments to the chef.
Checking out was another faulty towers scenario.I had just asked for our bill re extras and the 2 dogs lying behind the reception went ballistic.They were barking so loud that we couldn't hear the receptionist and another receptionist was on the phone selling a package to someone and no one could hear a thing.No one removed the dogs so we all waited for 10mins before the dogs calmed down.Not very professional I thought! We never met a manager or were introduced to a manager the whole time we were there,which is unusual for a five star hotel!
I felt we got value for money in our package and we did enjoy our stay but if we had paid full price for this break I would have been quite disappointed.
It's a 5 star venue but lacking heart!

Room Tip: If you are elderly or find it difficult to walk ensure you get a room as close to reception as possi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryfitzquigley
Meath
Reviewed December 17, 2013

It is incredible even now that having been at Castlemartyr 'Resort' and written to management about the issues that arose for my friend and I, that to date I have had absolutely NO RESPONSE. In that time, I have sent 2 emails and made 3 phone calls! Obviously customer service is not on the agenda alongside the 5 star prices and 'rating'.

I have spent more time and energy on this complaint than is acceptable so I will simply copy my email that detailed our experience there. Management please take note.

"Dear

As I explained, my friend Karen and I got an unexpected, but well earned,
day off to spend together. We considered where to go and she suggested The
Castlemartyr Resort, it sounded perfect. So I drove from Ratoath, Co.
Meath on Saturday last to meet her. She had booked the Ultimate Day Spa
Treat and dinner in The Bell Tower that evening. As Karen's Mum has been
ill in recent months I thought it would be a nice surprise for Karen
if we could also overnight. I spoke to Amy in Reservations on Oct. 15th to
enquire but there was no availability. I followed up with an email just in
case any cancellations arose. However, Karen had said that the hotel
reception would be able to book a taxi for us back to Youghal at the end
of the evening. We were all set and very much looking forward to spending
time together catching up in such beautiful surroundings.

On arrival at the Spa, we met Eileen who checked us in and escorted us to
Knights Bar for our Spa lunch. Eileen was really lovely, very friendly and
helpful. She looked after us very well. Thank you Eileen.

In Knights Bar we found seats and were served by Daniel. He was superb!
Very friendly and sociable yet professional and attentive. We both chose
the chicken sandwich which was delicious (compliments to the Chef).
Despite an impending wedding party and a busy Knights Bar, the staff were
very relaxed and courteous. We returned there for drinks before dinner and
found the same high standard of service and ambiance.

Our therapists at the Spa were Angela and Fiona. Karen was delighted with
her massage and complimented Fiona. I found Angela to be absolutely
excellent in every way. She was so relaxed and pleasant and had a really
lovely way about her. I thoroughly enjoyed the massage and our time in the
Spa overall.

Our reservation was for 8.30pm in The Bell Tower. We were met by a
friendly girl who took our name and left briefly, it would appear to find
someone. The Maitre D' appeared behind us and asked us our names and
showed us to our table. Looking at the reservations sheet, we appeared to
be the second table to arrive of the 8.30 bookings. Overall we both agreed
that our dining experience was less than 5 star for many reasons. For
example, we sensed an air of subtle panic amongst the staff and a general
lack of ambiance (lighting too bright). Our table was just in from the
doorway which possibly accentuated the feeling of busyness and absence of
a relaxed dining atmosphere. The starters arrived (scallops and smoked
salmon) they were fine but we had to ask for bread! I was taken aback at
the main courses, especially Karen's. She had chosen Pan Fried Brill - it
looked sad and anaemic - pale thin fillets, all altogether unexciting
ensemble. I ordered duck and mostly blame myself for the fact that it
lacked crispiness and sported a fine layer of fat underneath its lightly
pan fried skin. My mistake was saying medium! However we finished both
main courses and enjoyed the lovely wine Karen had chosen. The desserts
proved to be the final straw! The poached plums were sour and hard, the
chocolate pave all bitter and no sweet. We decided to return them to the
waitress. The Maitre D' arrived at our table to apologise and to
wholeheartedly agree with Karen that indeed the plums were rock solid.
However, he turned to me to defend the chocolate pave on the basis that
people who are not used to eating 'real chocolate' do not appreciate the
true taste! Karen came to my defence saying she would regularly chose
chocolate desserts and having tasted mine concurred that it just wasn't
nice. He apologised again and offered another dessert. We declined.
Although we hadn't suggested not paying for the desserts, we were not
charged and we both felt that was a nice gesture. As we finished our meal,
staff were setting up for breakfast.

We both left the restaurant somewhat deflated and decided against going to
the bar for a drink. At reception there were 3 gentlemen behind the desk.
I enquired if one of them was the manager. (Eileen had mentioned earlier that
he would be the manager to speak to to see if any availability had arisen
for accommodation). They chuckled and replied no! I decided not to ask if
any rooms were available! Karen asked to book a taxi from the hotel to
Youghal. We waited in the seats beside reception. It is hard to describe
those 5 to 10 minutes except to say that the reception area reminded us of
a scene from The Unbelieveables. Our taxi arrived and we left.

The icing on the cake for me was the taxi. At Karen's home the driver
announced "I've bad news for you, I had to come out from Midleton to
collect you, so I have to charge from Midleton - 35 euro!" I felt like
saying I didn't care if he had come from Mars - we booked from
Castlemartyr to Youghal! I held my tongue, not wanting to spoil the
evening any further, and handed him a 50 euro note. He replied that he had
no change!! We cobbled together the 35 euro, however later having googled
the route found out that the fare should have been approx 25 euro!

I feel strongly that all parts of a hotel need to strive to
deliver a quality product and service especially a 5 star resort. We
certainly enjoyed parts of our visit more than others.

I appreciate your consideration of these matters in consultation with your
management team."

No response. No customer service. Full stop.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank looneytunes3
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Castlemartyr Hotel Resort --previously known as the Capella Hotel and was a Carmelite monastery College and Boarding School previous to that.. It is a Lovely 5 star Hotel sitting on exceptional surroundings with two artificial lakes gardens ,Golf course wooded surroundings Once Home to The Fitzgerald's and has a history of invasion by the Normans and conflict with Queen Elizabeth and given to Sir Walter Raleigh who is honoured with bringing the potato (Spud ) to Ireland which became a stable diet of the working poor people of that era.
Castlemartyr resort is adjoining Castlemartyr village, which has its own characteristics and friendly villagers .
Many people who stay in the Hotel, stroll out to the village to frequent the two local pubs, known as Pat Shortts (Irish Comedian ) pub, which has lovely food menu and traditional music and people like Riverdance fame star- Michael Flately can be seen there on occasions playing musical instruments in the music sessions, . This adds to your Hotel stay, as it gives you a watering hole with a comedian bar owner, and locals who make you feel as if you are also a native or a warrior that needs alcohol inducement .
There is Cliffords pub a family name well rooted in Castlemartyr . Cliffords Pub is half way down the village which is a locals pub, with a welcome for all who enter its doors, and here you will meet some great story telling, and local gossip and a good night of enjoyment and a great pint of Guinness Ned and Marian Clifford are lovely bar owners and there family are all involved in the pub business, and Ned is also the local butcher owner in the village. No need to worry about driving under the influence. Ned Clifford and his family run Lounge bar is very welcoming, and laid back and the Guinness flows freely and it is a straight run and short walk back to the hotel and totally removed from the 5 star Hotel atmosphere, but well worth the adventure.
Now the Hotel has been developed and added to, with Leisure centre, heated swimming pool- vitality pool-spa ,Aromatherapy messages, Italian restaurant,superb golf course, Bar food is excellent in the Hotel and is cosy and has a lovely stove to warm your bones .Bedrooms are so well furnished and very impressive, with fridges and the views out over the gardens and lakes and countryside is so peaceful.
The staff are very good, and go out of their way to make you feel special and at home.
Lake and river fishing. Forestry and lake walks. Catering for kids meals and old age pensioners have a bus every hour in the village to all routes and 25 minutes into the centre of Cork. Garryvoe beach is 4 miles away and Ballycotton 7 miles drive,which is famous for sea food deep sea fishing pier is their for the fisherman who wants it all. Try the ballycotton bay view Hotel for seafood dish. Then there is Youghal also is 10 miles away, with its white sand beaches and Ahearn's seafood restaurant (yummy).Visit the NooK Bar and Moby Dicks bar where the film was made.
Castlemartyr resort caters for the pampering in-house guest an also the tour guest who wants to explore east cork, shop in Cork city, visit Midleton distillery and sample the whiskey. Go on a beach outing to Youghal, Garryvoe and also this hotel is well positioned on the main south routes to all airports and sea ferry ports. Walk the woods adjoining the hotel grounds.Visit the castle ruins , Explore and see where the man who killed the last wild boar in Ireland is laid to rest in the hidden grave yard and church ruins within the woods. Go and fish on Loughaderra lake, located 1 mile on the road from Castlemartyr to Midleton, and fish on a lake which has no visible inlet or outlet but is well stocked with trout and boats are easily hired . Visit Shanagarry Pottery and Fota Wildlife Park a great day to show your kids. Visit Cobh the Titanic museum and its lovely cathedral . Go and kiss the Blarney stone. Visit the oldest market in Europe in the famous English Market located in Cork city centre and listen to the stall owners accents and their sense of humour is unique even the Queen of England has dropped in to buy some pigs feet. Visit Shandon bells cathedral, and the butter market and walk the cobble streets.

To conclude,;;;; Castlemartyr Resort is an excellent 5 star hotel resort, ideal wedding venue and a great place to splash out and pamper yourself, for a weekend.
A Great Hotel originally developed and extended and restored by the Supple Family,who spend a fortune to bring this dream to the people of Castlemartyr and to whom stay there and it takes people with courage to make a hotel 5 star and build a dream and face the banks and focus on a dream and make it a reality. A dream- a man with great insight and courage and the hotel has survived the recession and is a credit to the Hotel operators who now operate it. We slate the developers who made it happen and forget they made some serious sacrifices and suffered so much to get the funds to make it a Hotel from a old monastery. I wish you every success as it is not easy to achieve this level of quality with the sacrifices and financial commitment that it took to deliver such a superb quality Hotel. I loved my stay here so much I researched this Hotel and Castlemartyr and what a lovely oasis and lovely people in its shadow. God bless you.

Room Tip: Look for a view of the lakes, but all bedrooms are so high quality
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CavalierOwner_13
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in December for a one night break. Dined in the Italian restaurant. Beautiful surroundings, attentive staff, quality rooms, lovely relaxing spa area. Only downfall was the breakfast which I would consider to be guest house standard and a long way off 5 star hotel. But that aside I will certainly return. Ideal for a relaxing break away

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank sleesh
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Beautiful hotel, staff very helpful and friendly. Had an excellent Aromatherapy massage, followed by a delicious complimentary smoothie, fruit kebab and homemade granola. Bar food a bit expensive however Italian restaurant reasonably priced and food very nice. Quality of room and all common areas excellent with lots of beautiful artwork on show. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Lols80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Fota Island Resort
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton

Been to Castlemartyr Resort? Share your experiences!