“Requests ignored”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castlemartyr
Natural Retreats Castlemartyr
Ranked #1 of 4 Castlemartyr B&B and Inns
“Requests ignored”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed for a week in the lodges at Castlemartyr run by Natural Retreats. The shower was broken so I asked the super friendly staff to get it fixed.
Saturday "No problem, I'll inform maintenance"
Sunday "Sorry maintenance don't work the weekend."
Monday "Very sorry, blah, blah, new shower head on the way, blah de blah"
Tuesday - still no shower.
The shower stayed broken for the whole week.
The annoying thing is that when I mentioned it first, the staff member knew exactly what the problem was. I obviously wasn't the first person to complain.
There were a few other things which I'll mention although they didn't annoy me nearly as much.
The phone in the lodge didn't work to call the hotel. I had to go for a walk with my mobile to find some coverage.
The wifi stopped working at around 10 pm every night.
The hotel pool is nice but the changing rooms are cramped with hardly any lockers and even fewer that actually lock.
The hotel drink prices are a rip off. €9.50 for a bristol cream sherry??? You can buy a bottle for €13.
The hotel restaurant was decent enough, €62 per person for dinner. We had one good waiter and one comically bad one, if you find really bad service funny.
The following night we tried the golf club-house instead. The info in the room looked promising. "The club house serves meals all day." Apparently the day ends at 8:45 pm in Castlemartyr. We were turned away hungry at 8:50. The restaurant with the 'funny' service is the only other option for food at the hotel.
And last but not least, the parking at the hotel is rubbish. It's way to far from the front door so everyone parks all over the place in front of the hotel and it's a bit of a free-for-all.
There were other problems but they were minor. I'd just be nit picking to mention them. I wouldn't normally have even noticed them except I was grumpy about the broken shower.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pyord

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Dublin
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had booked a beautiful mews for four of us for a weekend. We were attending a family wedding and were looking forward to spending time with family that we hadn't seen in years while staying in the grounds of the beautiful Castlemyrtr hotel. Natural retreats phoned us at 09;30 in the morning to ask us to move accomodation as there seemed to be a problem with one of the lodges on site. They assured us the alternative accomodation was close by and just as nice. On arrival to the alternative accomodation we were appauled and refused to stay there. We couldn't contact the representatives without huge problems. Eventually at 7 pm just before we sat for dinner I received a text to say another alternative accomodation had been booked for us 20km's away. At this point I contacted hotel staff which managed to get us rooms in Castlemayrtr hotel. I was horrified by the unprofessional treatment we received from Natural retreats. Please do not book through them. We eneded up having a wonderful weekend in Castlemayrtr hotel thanks to the wonderful staff there and couldn't fault them or the hotel. Definately a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: Book only through the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fair Haven, New Jersey
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed in a very trendy, open plan house with open-riser stairs and floor-to-ceiling windows. If I was single it would have been perfect, but with two young kids there were just too many sharp corners and hazards for the youngsters.

I can't really fault the accommodation - it was very nice, albeit a little cold when it got chilly outside because of all the glass. However, if I am looking for comfort and cosiness, the lodges at Fota Island Resort not far away are much better value. And the hotel isn't geared up for kids either - a little too stuffy for my liking.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cork
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed in the houses recently and we appalled at how run down they were.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed in natural retreats self catering in Castlemartyr last november with my mother and sister for a family break. We always book into self catering for a few days or a week at that time of year, different parts of Ireland (mostly along the West Coast). We were so happy with our stay at natural retreats. We stayed in the Lodges (3 bedroom) and it really was luxury. We got a lovely welcome pack inc eggs, cheese, milk, and a bottle of wine! The lodges are SO clean, the bathrooms were spotless, ,and the duvets, towels etc were spotless aswell. The heating was set to come on before we arrived, and we were able to adjust it ourselves anytime we needs an extra boost. We definetly were not cold!! There are lovely walks around the grounds of the hotel. We had dinner on one night in the main hotel and it was fabulous. I meant to go into the hotel to use the swimming pool, but we were so happy in the Lodges and so comfortable that i never felt it to go swimming. All 3 of us were delighted with our stay.
To top it all off, I forgot the charger for my mobile phone and left it behind. All I had to do was ring and they very kindly posted it onto me straight away - I was most impressed !!

Room Tip: I don;t think pets are allowed - but they should be. An ideal location for a dog for walks etc
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Avondale9
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had an absolutely exquisite room with very modern amenities in our room. We were well received at reception and had wonderful service throughout our stay. There were many families at the resort for their vacations. We enjoyed the gym, excellent classes and spa services and the beautiful pool. We don't play golf, but the course was beautiful, well manicured and well cared for. There were bicycles available for guests. The food in the dining room was artistically presented and a pleasure to eat, the service was also excellent. A beautiful property with a private garden off of our bedroom, a fully automated room(touch screen controls at the bedside for controlling, lighting, the TV, privacy notification, etc.

Room Tip: We had a king size room with a private garden. Ask for this one. A beautiful breakfast was includ...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2011

booked into the mews for 5 nights but found it very basic, kitchen\living area very small and was really very disappointed with it. hotel and hotel grounds are faboulous and it is family friendly but the Mews definitely are not 5 star quality.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Castlemartyr Resort
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Natural Retreats Castlemartyr? Share your experiences!