“October relaxation”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobh
Wexford, Ireland
“October relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We are a group of old friends, all retired senior people in the Irish Defence Force Reserves, who take a 3-day trip annually to some historic location in Ireland. This year we travelled to Cobh in early October and stayed at the WatersEdge Hotel. It was a happy choice. There were only four of us, and we occupied two twin rooms overlooking the harbour. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable, and the view was fantastic - I'd say the best I've seen in many years of travelling in many countries. With the water only metres away and the deep channel at the Cobh side of the harbour, one would sometimes half awake at night to the soft throb of ship's engines and the lap of bow-waves against the shore wall.

The staff were excellent, friendly and prepared to talk to us and laugh at our jokes (in itself above and beyond the call of duty). Housekeeping was first class (and we're people well used to carrying out inspections). Of course the quality of the food was important to us - we were very satisfied with the choice of meals in the Jacob's Ladder restaurant, and with the quality of the cooking. And the prices, both for accommodation and extra meals, was entirely reasonable.

There's a lot to do in the Cobh area, so much so that we didn't get to see all that we hoped to see during our time there - take the tours of Spike Island and Fort Camden, for instance, or take the picturesque train trip into Cork city. It's not at all impossible that we'll be back next year to tick those boxes, and if that happens, we'll definitely be staying at the WatersEdge Hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room facing the harbour.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
watersedgeMGT, Director of Sales at WatersEdge Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your kind feedback! It is truely lovely to read such great comments as our team put such a great effort into ensuring each of our guest has a memorable stay.

It was lovely to speak with you after you left and thank you for taking the time to call us regarding your feedback, which I have passed on to the team here as promised. I hope you can visit us again in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Korean first
County Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Thank you for a wonderfull stay at your lovely Hotel. All the staff are polite, and extremely helpfull. All the staff are content and have excellent inter-persosnal skills. Lisa, Ciara, Sylvia, Aga to name a few. It is enjoyable to watch staff as they work diligently.

Our room was superb overlooking the water, I kept the window open at night and the sight of the ships with their lights was relaxing and the sound of the water was soothing.

Each evening we dined at the Restaurant and my large peppered steak was so tender, I order the same the following evening, The holiday makers were friendly and the weather was magnificient and we sat outside in the sun the following morning.

The following day we took a day trip to Kinsale and on our final morning we walked down the town.

Definately I will return to this lovely, modern, spotless hotel and stay longer and I know when I phone up to book Lisas will remember me.

May I compliment the owner, he runs a magnificient and has a great happy team working for him and all are content.

Thank you to everyone for making my stay so happy.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, but I would recommend one with a view of the estuary
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
watersedgeMGT, Director of Sales at WatersEdge Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the WatersEdge on Trip Advisor!

It was truely heart warming to read such fantastic comments on our hotel and staff, and I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay with us. I am so glad you found your room comfortable and that you were able to relax to the sounds of the water in the harbour - we are so fortunate in our location - and thank goodness the weather held while you were here!

Thank you also for your kind feedback on our restaurant Jacobs Ladder. I will pass all your comments to the team here, especially to Aga, Sylvia and Kira; they will be delighted with your mention as much as I am.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and I hope to speak with you again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The accommodations were exquisite, and very fairly priced. Especially helpful employees assisted us in relocating here after having an unsatisfactory experience elsewhere in town. Rooms are spacious, modern, and well-appointed. The restaurant was excellent, and we ate 3 meals there. The staff is cross-trained to handle front desk, bar, and restaurant duties, and they're all very friendly and capable. We'd go back here without hesitation.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
watersedgeMGT, Director of Sales at WatersEdge Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us; it can be disheartening relocating after a previous bad experience so I am delighted we were able to assist you. Thank you also for your kind feedback on our restaurant Jacobs Ladder. Our team here really do go the extra mile to ensure each of our guests has a memorable experience so I am delighted to see this reflected in your review.

We hope to see you both again in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed in the WatersEdge Hotel recently (as a couple) and our experiences get better with each stay. It was our third time there and it just gets better and better. The staff are very very helpful, obliging, made us feel very welcome and allowed us to change rooms in the middle of our stay (we wanted a sea view) The hotel was spotless and the rooms were beautiful. I can not recommend this hotel enough and this is my second time reviewing this hotel. If we visit Cobh again the WatersEdge will always be our choice of hotel. Highly recommend!!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write yet another wonderful review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It was great to have you back again with us and your lovely feedback really is great to hear. Though we were fully booked on your arrival I am glad I was able to offer a room move to a seaview later during your stay - thank you also for your understanding in this.

Thank you so much for recommending us, and hopefully we will see you again in the near future. If I can be of any assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I had to travel to Cobh at short notice and found this little gem of a hotel. Only listed as a 3* I would give it a higher star rating than that. Fed up with hotel chains with the same monotonous corridors and bland decoration this hotel had great attention to detail. The room felt like I was staying in the best room in the house rather than just a hotel room. Excellent full Irish breakfast the following morning. Would highly recommend.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the WatersEdge Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for such lovely comments. As a boutique hotel we try to set ourselves apart by offering our guests a "home away from home" experience so I am thrilled to see this reflected in your review. As all guest bedrooms were renovated at the start of this year it is wonderful to see such positive feedback.

I hope you both can return to us in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in August of 2012; while traveling with some family in Ireland. We had three rooms; each with a window looking out onto the harbor. The hotel was located just a few minutes walk from the center of town and had a parking lot (car park) in the back, beneath the building. The rooms came with all the amenities of a nice modern hotel and the food at the hotel restaurant was nice.

If you care to play golf while there; the front desk can assist you with reserving tee times at the number of lovely local courses.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased to see you took advantage of Cobh Golf Course and Fota Golf Course during your stay - though I do recall you saying the course won!

We hope to see you all again in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a most wonderful place to stay with views over the water! We watched a boatman haul in his traps and throw them out again. The host was friendly, breakfast was good, and the rooms were clean, and our room had a wonderful view of the water as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
watersedgeMGT, Director of Sales at WatersEdge Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write you review of the WatersEdge on TripAdvisor.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The views from the harbour are indeed fantastic and our location really is great for relaxing and watching the world go by, so thank you for your kind feedback.

I hope you think of us once more should you wish to visit Cobh in the near future. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on 021-4815566.

Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobh
Commodore Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fota Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,009 reviews
Douglas
Maryborough Hotel & Spa

Been to WatersEdge Hotel? Share your experiences!