“History of Cobh”

Skip-the-Line: The Queenstown Story Tour at Cobh Heritage Centre
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Cobh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The story of Irish emigration- from the indentured servants and forced labour who left for the Colonies and the West Indies in the 17th century, the early emigrants to Canada and the U.S.the Great famine and the transportation of convicts to Australia . Learn about our maritime history,the hardship and the heartbreak. Find the stories and learn the connection between Cobh and the Titanic and the Lusitania. A facinating, educational and emotional journey through our past. "Walk in the footsteps" of our emigrant ancestors in this restored Victorian building.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been there few times, it is a quiet small Centre but very pleasant, always clean, excellent food, reasonable dinning prices and before you leave you can buy nice presents.

I almost forgot, you can also buy 2 coins: one of them is for the Titanic 100 Year Anniversary and the second is to commemorate the migration of Irish Families to the U.S.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I always bring people here when they are visiting from abroad. They all really enjoy it . Nice cafe there and staff are very helpful and informative.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This exhibition provided me with a lot lot more than I expected, before I visited it. Well laid out and packed with intersting displays, artifacts and information. very much worth the visit.

1  Thank Wsdd
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Being German I don't know much about Irish history. I'd heard about the famine and I know that a lot of Irish people emigrated to America, but really there is only very patchy knowledge here. The exhibition at Cobh Heritage Centre has helped me to fill some of these gaps. There is information about emigration, deportation to Australia and the hardships suffered by the Irish people forced to leave their country in order to survive. The role Cobh played in Irish history is in no proportion to its size and I was surprised to learn of its importance. History is brought to life here with ship replicas showing how emigrants would have lived on boats for weeks or months under very difficult circumstances. Cobhs connection with the Titanic and Lucitania is well presented and the more recent cruise liners like the QE2 are also shown. Multi media presentations show clips of more recent history and in all I'd say this is a couple of hours well spent.

1  Thank 109Marion
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent a delightful few hours having coffee and cake , looking around the historical pieces and shopping in the delightful stores... and all under one roof. The heritage centre is part of the original railway station that was downgraded, so it's a delightful place to spend a few hours looking around, enjoying the coffee AND all of this under one roof, so you don't need a brolly.

1  Thank Crystalline4u