“A Special Tour, Please Don’t Skip Cobh”
Review of The Titanic Trail

The Titanic Trail
Tallahassee, Florida
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“A Special Tour, Please Don’t Skip Cobh”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We changed our trip to go to Cobh because of the 100 anniversary of the Titanic. We especially wanted to do the Titanic Walking Tour. The Titanic Walking Tour was clearly one of the highlights of our trip to Ireland. Our guide, Michael Martin, was very knowledgeable and he had clearly had spent a great deal of time understanding the history of Cobh and the Titanic. His personal connection with the survivors was really a special touch. The tour was reasonably priced and well worth the investment of time and money. We had planned to spend the entire day in Cobh and the guide gave us tips on parking in town so we didn’t have to feed the meters every two hours. (p.s. Park in the Cathedral Parking Lot--free all day). While we had to hike up the hill at the end of a long day, we had a chance to visit the Cathedral after leaning all about how it was funded and its historical significance. Please don't miss a trip to Cobh.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Florida-Traveler-US
TitanicCobh, Owner at The Titanic Trail, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind words we are so pleased you enjoyed your experience on the Titanic Trail, next time you are back why not try the new Titanic Trail Harbour tour and the Spike Island Guided Walking Tour.
Michael

Washington, D.C.
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Good Adult Activity”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Everything that is said about Michael's knowledge and stories is true. I am writing for those with younger kids. We did a solo tour with Michael in February. He was VERY accomodating and very good with the 9 and 11 year old girls. However, I would say this tour was really over their heads. He goes into such depth with the history. Great for adults and history buffs. Not so much geared towards children.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank dmcteacher
TitanicCobh, Owner at The Titanic Trail, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you for your very positive feedback on the content of the tour. My approach to history is that it has to be accurate but never boring !! I always take special care when there are young kids on the walking tour and the reality is that while adults may not see it in their demeanour, children are like sponges for absorbing information. As a father of children of my own I have an idea what can interest them even in the context of an historical narrative. perhaps next time back you can take them on the Titanic Trail Harbour tour where children usually delight in the notion of crossing the harbour to see where Titanic anchored and enjoy the busy activity of the waterway.
Many thanks again. Dr Michael Martin
Boston, MA
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Informative & entertaining”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Michael Martin is an excellent guide who brings the story of the relationship between Cobh & the Titanic alive. You can book tickets online for 9.50 euros per adult - nor sure why other reviewers paid more? anyway, it is worth it! Lots of interesting anecdotes. Also, Cobh is a pretty town with a nice visitor's center.

Visited May 2012
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very informative tour”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Arrived in Cobh on Saturday of the bank holiday. Heard about the Titanic Tour next morning so arrived at the Commodore Hotel without a booking. Trevor arrived promptly at 11 and took us on a very informative tour of Cobh ending at Jack Doyle's pub for a beverage which was included in the price of the tour. I found the tour very good. Trevor had loads of information on the history of Cobh and of the Titanic and Lusitania connections to Cobh and other incidents which happened in the harbour. He was very friendly to all. I would recommend this tour. As a keepsake, I bought the book, the Titanic Trail Cobh which he had.

B.G.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Breda G
Fullerton, California
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Boring”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I love walking tours. I have been on several from around the world. I booked this tour for 5 adults (aged 30-65) and we were very disappointed. First off- we did not get Michael the tour guide that everyone raved about.

I booked online and when I arrived at the Commodore Hotel meeting spot the guide Trevor had no list to check our party off on. I never received a confirmation email, even after I contacted them for a ticket number, etc. Luckily, they took our word for it and we were off. Trevor was very hard to hear. He had a hand held microphone that plugged into a megaphone, but with over 40 people on the tour it was very tough to hear. Plus we were there on the 100th weekend of the Titanic and the coast guard helicopters were loud. We decided to stand closer to Trevor to listen. Sadly, the words and his monotone voice (like he was reading a cue card) left us looking around more than paying attention to what he was saying. We visited about 2 blocks of “key places” of interest on the tour and bailed. The whole group I was in was disappointed in the lackluster tour and the minimal story telling efforts. We left about 15minutes into the 45minute tour and glad we didn't waste more time.

I feel bad asking for my money back since we did attend the first 15mins of the tour, but I feel good enough to let everyone know that if you don't have Michael the tour will be a bust.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Kathryn R
TitanicCobh, Owner at The Titanic Trail, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
I was sorry to hear that your tour was interupted by the noise of the helicopters during the search and rescue display on in Cobh that day. After 10 or 15 miutes all the noise died down and the other 27 or so participants really enjoyed the tour and Trevor's delivery of the information. Some of them remarked that the helicopter excercise added to their overall enjoyment in the town on the day.
Michael