“Shame About the Dinner...”
Review of Maritime Hotel

Maritime Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cork, Ireland
“Shame About the Dinner...”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My two friends and I were down this weekend in Bantry for a course which we knew was going to be very tough.. So we decided to opt for a bit of luxury to get us through the weekend... We had heard that the Maritime would fulfill our needs! Unfortunately we were disappointed.

Firstly our room was nice but dark. We had a suite which was very spacious. However, we were suddenly woken at 3am by our television which independently turned itself on and repeated to do so every 20mins without fail for the remainder of the night. This did not lend itself to a good nights sleep.

Secondly the bed linen provided for the pull out couch was found to have a large dried vomit like stain on it.

Furthermore we were horrified when we went to get a glass of water from our room and what came out of the tap was an opaque berocca coloured substance. However when we informed a staff member about this he kindly delivered two chilled bottles of water to our room.

I'd like to start my next point by saying that we did arrive to the restaurant Without a reservation and they kindly accommodated us with a table. The service continued to be exemplary throughout and it was through no fault of their own that the food they had to serve was beyond disappointing. We were initially told that the duck starter and main were sold out. Then we were told there were 4 starters left.We ordered what was labelled as duck confit as starters and what we received was a sliced breast of duck ( presumably the main course sliced) which was cold. The main course was decent but was served with a potato gratin topped with cheddar which undoubtedly was gone off. We debated at the table whether it was gone off cheddar or whether it was a stronger cheese. We were told by staff that it was indeed cheddar. The malteser cheesecake was completely tasteless. On the upside the staff were absolutely lovely, the service was simply fantastic throughout the weekend and staff had no problems delivering extra glasses and drinks to our room at any time. They even accommodated our individual needs and let us eat our breakfast 15 mins prior to the normal time. But after paying almost €500
Euro for our weekend stay in the Maritime, we expected more bang for our buck.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I didn't expect to fine such a wonderful hotel in Bantry..best value for money! I stayed for one night for work in the local hospital and was advised to book in that hotel .Honestly it was above my expectations,room was so luxurious and well designed ..breakfast was great..recommend it!!

• Stayed February 2014
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear naderad

Thank you for your kind Tripadvisor review where we surprised you just a bit! It is nice to get these reviews and to be noted for value. I will be passing on your comments to the team here and I'm sure they will be delighted also.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there at the start of january. It was great expirience. Very nice room. Beautiful interior. Air con in room that you can set any temp you want. Had meal in restaurant and the service was the best we had ever come across. Other hotels should learn!!! Meal was very tasty. Over all it was fantastic stay. Thank you.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rimantas R
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Rimantas R

Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. All your comments are a joy to hear and I will be passing them out to the team here who I know will be as pleased as I am. Hope to see you back in the not too distand future.

Thanks once again

galway
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Nice clean, and good location. Hotel itself is very dark inside with dim lighting. Brash and celtic tiger looking decor. Window catches in our room barely closed the window properly, with a lot of traffic noise coming into the room. Breakfast was great. Car parking underground is a bit bizarre with a very tight entrance. Otherwise good value for money. Staff in restaurant super helpful and nice.

Dear inmet

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review on your recent stay with us. We are working on the lighting which is a result of the Green status of the hotel. As the bulbs go now we install the newer versions with a better quality of light.

I was particularly pleased with your comments on the team here and the value you received. I will be passing your review to all the team and I am suire they will be pleased too.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed in The Maritime Hotel this weekend and never wanted to leave.The staff are so lovely (they'd stop and talk to you in the corridors for no particular reason), the food great, the atmosphere relaxing and welcoming, the rooms spacious, the leisure centre top class and if I could model my house on the hotel decor -from the carpets to the cosy lounge areas to the colours- I honestly would. You really get value for money in this hotel, especially if you use the pool facilities. Gorgeous!

I've been several times but just keep on coming back for more! I was particularly impressed this time with the Bar Menu. I chose the Seafood Chowder in a blooming bread bowl which I had never seen before. Apart from the gorgeous presentation, it had more flavour and variety of seafood than any other chowder I've had and is the best value for money at around €6! I'm dying to get back for that alone!

If the Hotel Management happen to see this review, I wanted to write it on the comment card in the room but there's no pen in the room...quite possibly the only thing I would change about this hotel!

Room Tip: The suites on the top floor with the balconies are my favourite!
Dear Laura M

Thank you for your lovely Tripadvisor review on your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am very pleased with nearly all your comments, by the way did you check the bureau drawer for the pen.....it should be there. I will be passing your comments on to the team here and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am and we look forward to you returning in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We often visit the Bantry area and I have stayed at the Maritime Hotel a number of times. It is extremely reasonably priced, the food is good (the buffet breakfast sets you up for the day), the rooms are very comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I was torn between giving 4 and 5 as an overall rating and ended up giving 4. My use of 5 is for something truly exceptional and I must confess that the Maritime comes close. I pondered why I have not given a rating of 5 and think it is possibly because the room was not that warm and the shower not very powerful. Boy am I hard to please!!!! I am probably being extremely harsh given that I have rated 7 of the 8 individual aspects as 5*!! I am looking forward to my next stay here.

1 Thank RobertJE
Dear RobertJE

Thank you for your very kind Tripadvisor review and you are not all that hard to please! Being the perfect 5 would be too hard to live up to and we will always have our little failings! I will be passing this to the team here and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am particularly that you are a return guest and that you will be back.

Again my thanks

Meath
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a brief overnight here, all staff met were very helpful and pleasant. Rooms very well maintained. Breakfast was very good. will be back longer next time. Good location in the town and for touring west cork. Very comfortable bed

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear hightower69

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review on your stay with us. I was delighted to note that your next stay would be longer as this probably says it all! I will be passing your comments to the team here and I am sure that they will be as pleased.

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Skibbereen
Glengarriff Park Hotel
Glengarriff Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Glengarriff

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!