“Fabulous Breakfast! ”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Came here for breakfast with my son Saturday morning and neither of us were disappointed!

Lots of choice on the menu for such a small place!
My son got the Nutella pancake which came with the Nutella in a separate dish. I personally dislike when a restaurant puts any sauce on my food, I prefer to do that myself.

I ordered French toast with maple syrup.... Divine!!!

We were also asked if we'd like our drinks immediately or with our food.... It's nice to be given a choice!

All in all it's a lovely cosy restaurant, good staff & service, great menu.

I will be returning!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We came across this restaurant by chance early in the year, and have added it to our must have list on Saturday morning. We are creatures of habit, and every Saturday morning we go to skibereen to visit the wonderful Farmer's Market, where we shop for organic vegetables, local cheeses, etc, and browse for awhile. Then on to my Husband's favourite book store, The Time Travellers, where he sources rare and unusual books, while I do the rest of my weekend shopping in Field's well stocked supermarket in the town. After all this we deserve a little break, so we pop in to An Chistin Beag for something to eat. Beautiful decor, warm and friendly welcome from the owner, a quiet very hospitable hostess. Always greeted, seated, and menus brought straight to the table. It is a busy place, but service is prompt and efficient. Freshly cooked to order, and at such a low price for the quality provided. Generally we have the breakfast menu, but one week we had lunch, and it was exceptional in every way. We felt we had to say for what we got they charge too little. Amazing good value. Great selection of veg, and very tasty. We left very happy and satisfied clients. It appears they aim to please here , in comparison to a take it or leave it attitude. Long may this restaurant continue. If in skibereen make sure to pop in and try for yourself. You definitely will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Marie H
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We are visiting family and friends here in Skibbereen, West Cork, Ireland and An Chistin Beag (The Small Kitchen) was suggested for lunch. What a great discovery. This is a small establishment (20 seats) and I would suggest booking if you are out for lunch or dinner.

This is home cooking. I had the Shepard's Pie and it was as good as what my mother used to make. One of us had the hake and the other the cod and they were done just right.

The menu itself is not extensive but each day they have a number of specials that are written out on a chalk board which is brought to your table. There were a considerable number of specials and when combined with the regular menu provides ample choice. Our lunches were served with vegetables, carrots, potatoes, (done 3 ways - mashed, boiled and chips(french fries)broccoli and cabbage. To say this was a substantial lunch would be an understatement.

There are also a number of desserts that are highlighted on another chalk board that is brought to your table. They all looked delicious. We were so full that we took a pass on dessert. Catherine next time though I will tuck into the desserts.

I am already salivating at the thought of eating here again.

2  Thank Bertram C
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My friends and I decided to go for dinner, as it was the first time we had all been home at the same time for a while. None of us had managed to try out the Chistin. The food was lovely, and some great vegetarian options. Our desserts were fantastic, and it was all very good value for money. The service was a little scattered, but given that the restaurant was full, the staff did a fantastic job juggling all the tables in the space available. This is a gorgeous, cosy restaurant, and I will definitely be back. I hope it's here to stay.

1  Thank Carla O
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Cosy and relaxed atmosphere; friendly service; beautiful food. As non meat-eaters we both found the menu provided a good choice. Good idea to book as we have since found that it gets booked up quickly.