“gone off chicken”

The Paragon Bar & Bistro
Ranked #11 of 30 Restaurants in Skibbereen
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Paragon Bar and Bistro is one of West Cork's finest establishments providing a very unique casual dining experience along with live music and an extensive range of international beers, wines & spirits!!!All through the week we are very busy catering for local folk and tourists alike allowing them to mingle in the very essence of Skibbereen, an old Market Town steeped in history dating back centuries.At the weekend the venue is transformed into the livliest & trendiest nightspot around!!!! The very best live bands & top djs perform and suit all tastes!!! The paragon bar & Bistro has a brand new evening menu which is very exciting and we do daily specials which include Steak & Pint night on thursday for only €14.95!!!
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We eat here every so often, the weekday meals are lovely, as are the evening meals, but the Sunday menu is pathetic, i even got gone off chicken for dinner, its easy to know how fresh chicken is when your cooking it, just use your eyes and nose, not rocket science ! I was not impressed!

6  Thank Sabrinaskibb

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I emailed to book. I didn't get a reply or confirmation (not good) but we went anyway. Our table had been reserved but not a nice one (which I had requested as it was my husband's birthday), instead it was right next to the bar and a tv showing football. So, first impressions were not particularly good.

The waitress was friendly and attentive and knew the menu and was able to explain something that I didnt recognise. I had read the reviews on here before booking so were expecting large portions so none of us ordered a starter, just a main.

We were given a freebie starter of a small cup of home made cream of vegetable soup which was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. I ordered a steak and it was massive but perfectly cooked to my liking (rare). It came with chips (crispy and lovely), 2 huge onion rings (delicious), and a platter of mixed veg (horrible, soggy and tasteless and left). It was "steak and a pink for 17.95E night" so I thought I got a very good value for money from my choice.

My husband chose the seafood pasta. What arrived would have served 2 possibly 3 hungry adults, WAY too much. He said it was full of fish and tasted really good but the quantity was completely ridiculous. My daughter had duck with stir fried veg and orange sauce that was served with 2 school dinner-like scoops of mashed potato and another platter of horrid soggy veg. The duck was tender and tasty but the orange sauce was fantastic although it looked like custard. She ate the lot (bar the veg).

There were only a few desserts on the menu (one being jelly and ice cream but my husband was 59 today not 5!!). We fancied something sweet to end but nothing heavy so we opted for the "ice cream selection" and 3 spoons. What arrived was vanilla and strawberry scoops drizzled with chocolate sauce" - nothing special, very ordinary but very edible and it was finished.

We were asked if we would like the pasta that my husband left "packed to go" but declined (who reheats a pasta dish???).

So, 3 adults, 3 meals, one pud, 2 pints of smithwicks (one free with the deal of the day), 2 pints of orange juice and a hot chocolate all for just under 62 Euros. Cant complain about that!

Id go again if in Skibbereen again as it was great value for money and good food.

1  Thank lovetoad
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Went to the Paragon with my hubby on Saturday night. The food was fabulous, hot, fresh and tasty. The service and staff are next to none and always have a smile on their face. There is a very personal touch which really makes such a difference, especially now as going out for a meal is a real treat with the economic downturn, so nice to feel special. I would recommend The Paragon for all to try, Couples, families, parties etc, there is something on the menu for everyone at affordable price.

1  Thank VickyOreilly
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had an excellent meal in the pub. The portions were huge and very well cooked. The service was fast and friendly and very efficient. All in all it was an excellent meal and we would defiantly go back again.

2  Thank Boffnet
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I heard alot about the Paragon, Positive and negative things. So I thought I try it out and have some Lunch in the Paragon. I arrived at around 2pm... It was not very busy I found a seat straight away. The table was sticky. I sat down and a waitress came down to my table after a few minutes and I asked for the Menu. I looked at the Menu and asked for the Specials... The Waitress sad there are no Specials... I Questioned myself. There was about 5 things to choose from (hot food) I choose the roast of the day (Beef) and chips because nothing else was there that I liked. I didn't want any sauce on my veg. The food took about 5 minutes and it was ready...I was surprised. I must say the food service was very quick. The plate was put in front of me with sauce on the veg and NO gravy, so I send it back to be corrected. Then it came out right. Plate was small but filled up to the top. The Beef was Okay, It was fine. The Gravy was really not nice no comment on that one. The veg was not the best either. Roast Potatoes were absolutely terrible and disgusting. They basic tasted like ready prep Potatoes trown in the oven and thats it. They were like rubber. Overall the food tasted like it was held warm for ages. Even the Chips were not edible. The chips tasted like they were held warm for hours. Even the simplest thing to do (chips) were unsuccessful. I was very disappointed all together. I payed (NO TIPS)and left and I know that I will never return to the PARAGON, I should have went to a Take away which would probably offer me better Food and value. NEVER AGAIN

6  Thank AmericanEagel