“Lovely Estate in Cork”

Ranked #3 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland.
“Lovely Estate in Cork”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The room was lovely. We stayed for one night in the lake lodge, clean, comfortable and with beautiful Japanese inspired interior design. A fantastic use of space, with amazing surrounds. I felt comfortable. A clean modern design.

The food in the restaurant in the main house, is really, really good. We had dinner, and the food is simple and tasty with quality produce and good service, I love when a hotel states something in their brochure which is completely true to the experience. The two serving staff were very pleasant.
Perhaps for those that can’t see an A4 page printed menu is better than a chalkboard.

It's a very relaxing place and not very far from the town by car. It’s about 5 -10 mins in the car from Skibbereen and easy to find
The reception staff are very down to earth and accommodating.

The surrounding gardens are beautiful and unlike anything I've seen, we went through the sky garden and the woodland in the rain and it was really lovely.

I personally loved the shared areas in the lake lodge.

It's quite difficult to describe, it’s not obtrusive at all, but it's like being in a big old style house, with modern design, which does not intrude on the original design, which has many beautiful relaxing rooms to sit in. Our room was completely private with its own entrance.

I loved arriving for breakfast and it being cooked by a chef in the kitchen that I could pass by as if he were in my own kitchen. There was a buffet of muesli, cereal & mixed fruit and a toaster with bread to make your own toast at the main stairs and also hot food served by the chef which you ordered from the waitress. I'm not sure if this is the norm for the lake lodge, but the main house itself was full and we were served breakfast in the lodge rather than in the main house, I assume this is because they had a full house. I loved it. It was really good the service was great .

We sat in the conservatory in the front in a very bright beautiful room with two table settings, it's was so beautiful and bright, and the service was really good. We sat outside afterwards and viewed the lake finishing our tea which we brought with us to a lake house.

In the room itself had a spider web beside the bathroom mirror and some small innocuous common baby Irish spiders inside the room which could easily be removed with the use of a hoover/feather brush or by putting some linen mesh on the windows while the room is aired. It didn’t overly bother me; it's the time of year for baby spiders and in Ireland they are harmless.

I would suggest some summertime duvets; the duvets provided are too warm, even for Irish summertime, but the beds are very, very comfortable otherwise.
The main house grounds and those at the lake lodge need some lighting. It's quite dark. I don't think some old lantern lighting would spoil the feel of the lodge or the car park surrounding the hotel.
Wi-Fi; in the lake lodge there was only one room which picked up Wi-Fi and that was in the rear breakfast room this could be rectified easily for those that require access for business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cattykitty
Kate C, Reservations Department at Liss Ard Estate, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Lake Lodge experience at Liss Ard and we do appreciate and note the comments that you have made about areas in which we could improve our service. Hopefully you will come back again, and perhaps experience another part of the Estate to stay in, as the Lake Lodge is one of three areas in which you can stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having heard so many good reviews and been impressed by their website we excitedly booked a 4 night stay in the lake lodge. I cannot begin to express my disappointment. This is my first review on Tripadvisor which our stay at Liss Ard compelled me to write.

We were apparently upgraded to a suite, which whilst a lovely gesture, I'd really rather they hadn't. The room had very little natural light and was on the ground floor with it's own door; unfortunately this meant that there had to be an emergency exit light constantly on above the door in the room. The brightness of this light was quite extraordinary and made for a very poor nights sleep. In addition to this the sliding door into the lavatory would only open about 8 inches, rendering it useless to all but the slimmest of gymnasts, something I wasn't after a few weeks packing in the full Irish breakfasts. A rather stupid design fault meant that if the light was turned on in the lavatory it also came on in the bathroom. In a normal hotel room this wouldn’t have been a problem but with the faux Japanese paper doors it felt like the flood lights at Croke Park had been lit up while I was asleep on the pitch. Everything about the room and indeed the lake lodge was just well, very average to be honest.

Breakfast in the lake lodge (which we didn’t know about until we arrived) was a pretty poor effort, I’ve had better breakfasts at a travel lodge. Things constantly ran out and the service was equally as poor; what sort of a hotel runs out of coffee? I politely declined the kind offer of a cup of instant. Whilst I’m on the subject of food, we had dinner twice in the main house. The menu was limited with unexciting starters and desserts I would expect to find in a Pizza Hut (think ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce from a bottle). On the upside the main courses were excellent and very reasonably priced. I would absolutely recommend turning up to have a bottle of wine and main course and then hot foot it out, if it wasn’t for the terrible service…

Ah, the service. I’d have had a better experience if I’d been at a motorway service station self service buffet. At least that way I wouldn’t have to be on the receiving end of a waitress who was obviously fairly unamused to be running round by herself with a whole dining room to look after. We sat next to a couple who had to wait an hour and a half for their starter!

As much as I have berated Liss Ard I must say that the service we received from everyone at reception to try and sort the situation out was very good. I definitely felt that they cared about our stay but I could tell I wasn’t the first person to have complained. The estate is a wonderful place to spend time and sits in a wonderful location both in terms of views and access to West Cork. Since our stay the management have offered some compensation which was a nice gesture and has increased the rating from 1 star to 2.

Would I go back? No. Would I recommend it? Probably not. When we returned home and I was asked how my holiday was the first thing that came to mind was the disappointment of Liss Ard. Never a good sign.

I implore Liss Ard to invest the money in the lake lodge needed to bring it up to the standard that it so richly deserves, get some new staff and train them properly. The prices charged just cannot be justified. If you haven’t got enough staff to provide the experience you are pricing it for then drop the prices until you can. The place has just so much potential it’s a genuine shame that it was such an enormous let down. It only has itself to blame.

Room Tip: If you are going to try Liss Ard, avoid the lake lodge at all costs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Albie_1974
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were at Liss Ard estate over the past weeks of this great summer. The house and the lands are simply breathtaking. We spent hours walking the land. The presentation of the whole is just fabulous. We went in on several occasions to have some food and found the food very tasty.

The atmosphere in the house is just as great as the overall. BUT we were not so lucky with the staff. The girl that served us seemed constantly in a bad mood and everything we asked for was somehow connected with problems - no matter what it was. Luckily her collegue came to us and appologized that they were not able to meet our needs. She was, the most delightful person in the whole place. We felt "taken care" of. Thank god we did not have to put up with the other waitress for that day. There seems to be an extremely tense atmosphere amongst the staff, we noticed - as we were there more than once. Our friends stayed in the Hotel and reported the same experience. One of the waitresses seemed even hungover and therefor not in a good mood. Again our friends were "saved" by the lovely girl that served us. We only later found out that she is a student on a summerjob. She even spoke fluent german and was well able to represent the whole estate, contrary the others who seemed fulltime employed. My recommendation to Liss Ard would be to invest in friendlier staff, cause we dont want to go anywhere and leave money feeling that we actually intruded. All the best to them and thank you to the only friendliest and most loviest person that saved our stay. We unfortunatly do not know her name. But I am sure, she will stand out to anybody who goes there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tracey H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were two friends travelling together from different parts of the world and both loved this property. The house is gorgeous, set in an absolutely stunning property, in a very beautiful part of Ireland.
We enjoyed the walking paths and the Sky Garden very much.

Our room was upstairs in the stable mews and was lovely and comfortable with windows on either side of the room for a lovely cross breeze. Comfy beds. Enough hanging space in the wardrobe although there wasn't a dresser of any type so if you were staying more than a night or two it meant living out of your suitcase a bit.
The stairs were a bit steep which didn't bother us but for those with mobility issues a ground floor room would be better. Stefano was the lovely young man who greeted us upon arrival and handily carried our heavy bags up those stairs.
One small complaint was that there were no towel rails or hooks at all in the bathroom, no soap dish by the sink and none in the shower, no shelf or anything in the shower either to put shampoo etc. While this certainly isn't a major thing it was inconvenient and seemed a bit odd in an otherwise lovely hotel.

We ate dinner all four nights in the restaurant and the food was delicious! The service was superb, we were served each night either by Tamzin or Faye (sometimes both ) and I must say these young women are a real asset to this property. Friendly and fun as well as being efficient at their work, it made it a treat to eat here each night. ( well, and the yummy food of course!)

Mary on reception is a gem as well, she was very friendly and helpful, taking the time to find us a pub with trad music and organize it all for us. It was really appreciated as it was a terrific night out.

West Cork is a beautiful area for a holiday, we were almost torn sometimes between wanting to explore and sight-see but also just wanting to hang out and enjoy the beautiful property.

I would definitely stay here again and wish I didn't live so far away as it would be a perfect place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at the O'Donovan Suite in Liss Ard. Welcome was very good and plenty of activities for both adults and children inc kayacking; cycling, woodland walks etc. Plenty of wellies, coats and bike helmets available in doorway and very relaxed atmosphere.
Children's meal was very disappointing but we booked a table later and found the adults meal to be excellent.
Breakfast was average
Children attended kid's Club for an hour in the morning which they enjoyed - this is a free facility

Room Tip: Our only concern was that the sash windows opened easily and could be done by small children . This...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ceri A
Brisbane
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at Liss Ard Estate to attend a wedding.
Probably the best wedding I have ever attended and the location is out of this world.
We stayed in the Lake house with a number of friends and it was like home away from home, the rooms were huge!. The staff were just beautiful people and couldn't do enough for you. I even left a small item in my room and they are posting it back to Australia for me.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Scone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Dropped in on spec having seen an a-board at main entrance. place looked immaculate and was given a very friendly service. Quality of sandwich and soup was very good although fish soup was a bit too subtle.

Room Tip: disn't stay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
The West Cork Hotel
#6 of 12 in Skibbereen
Russagh Mill Hostel
Russagh Mill Hostel
#1 of 6 in Skibbereen

Been to Liss Ard Estate? Share your experiences!