“Perfect!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

What an absolutely wonderful place. Completely unpretentious luxury. The room was lovely, the grounds were stunning, the staff helpful and accommodating, but totally respectful of privacy. And the breakfast was delicious, particularly the homemade scones and gooseberry jam. Liss Ard will remain a favourite and I hope we have the opportunity to visit again. We have recommended to all of our friends and family, and if they offer gift certificates, would love to give as a gift to others this Christmas. Thanks Liss Ard!

Would also recommend making the short trip to Castletownsend, a lovely little place to visit. And we had a great meal in Glandore at the Marine Pub, but I'd be willing to bet that the dinners are even better at Liss Ard. The prices also seemed incredibly reasonable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Having confused my booking i did not stay at lis ard and gave them a bad review.In hindsight and having had a long discussion with customer care I found them to be very professional,fully refunded my deposit and explained in detail were i had gone wrong and with this level of service i would highly recommend dealing with a company of this standard.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tipperary
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a relaxing well-appointed house hotel with roomy lounge and living areas. Decor is excellent and the grounds interesting although a bit unkempt. The high quality art creates a special atmosphere and a relaxing lounge allows for mixing with other guests and watching TV. The hotel is child friendly with a well-equipped children's play room. The bedroom was quiet and well designed with a lovely Japanese feel. Unfortunately the bed was well below standard - hard and uncomfortable and my wife developed back pain as a result. This is a major negative and is the main reason we would not consider a return visit. Housekeeping was poor - room left dusty, bed poorly made up, shower jell and shampoo not replaced. Evening meal was a major disappointment. I had asked for no peppers as I explained I have an allergy to them. The main fish dish arrived smothered in peppers and I had to wait 15 minutes for a replacement by which time my wife had finished her dish - very poor service. Neither of our meals were in any way special although quite expensive. The menu was misleading - chicken casserole turned out to be chicken curry! The breakfast was OK but several items on the menu were not available. We wanted to love this hotel but despite its many positive elements we left disappointed.

2 Thank Hillstrom
Ireland
Reviewed July 31, 2012

the staff here are amazing and will go out of thier way to help in any way. there are not like in most hotels, sicophanitic, they are simply friendly. the rooms are very clean and the beds are very comfy. because its small you are treated like a guest rather than a client. I only have 2 reservations to our stay. the wifi barely worked and when it did it was exceptionally slow. We couldnt check the weather on my phone and it was neccessary!
The second thing was the choice of food at the dinnner. the food was amazing and i mean incrediable however being limited to a set menu at 32.50 wasnt great. its a pity you could have just a dinnerfor a tenner or something along those lines, other than that i loved the place. staff in the resteraunt were brilliant with my daughter. couldnt have asked for more.
If you have children you should stay here. they will love the playroom and all the facilites liss ard has to offer, you cant go wrong for a place to stay for a family holiday

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Arrived at Liss Ard for a short break and stayed in the Lake Lodge which is a ten min walk from the main house on the lake side. The setting is absolutely stunning and we were blessed with the weather. The walks between the Lake Lodge and the main house is along beautiful leafy trails. The Sky Garden Crater is an amazing feature.

The room was large and luxurious with a really confortable bed. The dinner in the restaurant was very good and the breakfast was also very good. The manager of the resort is very attentive and informative and really gives the personal touch to the guests,

Highly recommend and due to the short duration of our stay we were unable to partake in the on site activites such as canoeing, cycling and fishing. Will recommnend and hopefully return.

Room Tip: Dont choose the Lake Lodge if your not prepared to walk 10 mins to the main house.
Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I arrived at Lis Ard house on a long bumpy road to check in only to be informed that my accomadation was in another building. I was instructed to follow a battered 4x4 Jeep approximately one mile up a very dangerous amd intimidating road with the ever present fear of slipping off this road on my mind throughout this journey.
Upon arrival , after being greated by a very well meaning porter, I was informed by him that ,contrary to my booking ,I was placed in a self catering apartment and that i would have to travel back down the dangerous road in the morning for breakfast.
According to the webesite Lis ard house was meant to be a two minute drive from town but I found this clain to be both highly exaggerated and completely inaccurate.
After complaining to the manager , I was informed that 100% of my money would not be refuunded and I find this to be outrageous given the circumstances I incurred on my very brief visit to Lis Ard house.
Also the phone number given on the website does not work making contact both difficult and frustrating.
I have since been informed that I would be contacted by a representative of the hotel but I several working days have passed and I have gotten no word from any such representative.
As a public representative I intend to pursue this issue until the matter has been resolved to a satisfactory degree.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Jim H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I could write hundreds of words to describe the most delightful 2 night stay I had here when I brought my parents. However you have to experience this first hand to fully appreciate the 5 star service at this amazing hotel.
From the minute of our arrival to the time of our departure we were treated so well....Arthur is a fabulous host and we wanted for nothing.... The rooms, the setting, the food and the service all come at a standard so high it is refreshing. It was so relaxing especially being able to unwind in the gorgeous drawing rooms before and after dinner! A beautiful entrance hall awaits adorned with a piano that I was able to play.... They even had music books...So it was nice to be able to provide some background music after dinner !!
My parents loved every moment of our stay.... Both enjoying back massage treatments in the beauty rooms that Arthur so kindly arranged for them. Nothing was too much trouble.
Outside the grounds of the hotel were enchanting .... I loved my walks around the park with so many hidden places...

So thanks a million to Liss Ard .... I will definitely be returning !!!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Trisha S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
The West Cork Hotel
#7 of 12 in Skibbereen
Marguerites
Marguerites
#5 of 12 in Skibbereen

Been to Liss Ard Estate? Share your experiences!