“So welcoming”

The West Cork Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skibbereen
Reviewed August 30, 2007

We stayed here for a couple of nights last week and must say it was so welcoming and a great base to explore west cork.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eoinger

Reviewed August 1, 2007

Whilst considering booking this hotel for a holiday some three weeks back, I rang the hotel to confirm its Star rating, as there was none on their website? I was informed that the hotel was a four star. I booked for three nights. Having driven for most of the day we arrived early evening very tired and exhausted.

The moment we walked in it was apparent that this hotel was in very bad nick, needing at the very least a lick of paint. I enquired what the star rating was. I was told it was a three star and then the manager informed it was a SURPRISE to her, when I mentioned my earlier call, before I had booked the rooms!
It was very badly handled by that manager and I was answered in a very smart way, as if I had put her out in some way. There was a young girl there who asks me immediately could she make other arrangements, now there would be a manager in the making. We were too tired and said that we would stay the night?

The room was not what I had requested on the initial form, I had clearly stated that a room in the front with a view was required and if that couldn’t be provided other arrangements would be organised. THE ROOM! The itchy blankets and the over sheet was like something form the seventies, not to mention the unclean state of the bathroom! The window in the corner of the room was a joke that came with its own colony of the flies from the river….
Did they not look at my request when I had bothered to book it on line two weeks prior?

Could they not of contacted me to explain what I was looking for was not going to be provided? As requested!!

So we decided to leave the next morning and find a suitable hotel and wait for it!!!! We lost our deposit because they couldn’t be bothered to call or provide the service that we wanted.

It seemed a well rehearsed reply from the lady on reception that morning, when I enquired why we were been charged more for the room then originally quoted.

Customer care is something the West Cork Hotel could maybe take into account in the future and try to do away with the, one hit wonder policy, the manager I would suggest could take a course in customer care and pay more attention to her customers needs rather then her smart pointless retorts!
At least we found later a Hotel that did cater for our needs and that took pride in their product and I will not hesitate to recommend to my work colleagues and friends but as for the West Cork Hotel and your Hotel, I can only recommend that all the same people avoid it like the plague!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank ArkDublin
Reviewed March 23, 2007

Stayed here for two days in February 2007. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed. Yes, there could be some updating (slightly peeling paper in bathroom) but the owners are obviously in the process. To me the most important thing is the comfort of the bed and the linens. In this case I was not disappointed. Extremely comfortable! The bar area is nice and the service was good. We were visiting relatives and had a large group in for dinner the first nice (approx. 40 people including a few young children). The same night there was a large dinner/dance going on. Our service or quality of food did not suffer because of this. I was extremely impressed with everything. Our meals were excellent. Makes me want to go back just to eat! Saturday night there was a bit of noise from outside (we were facing the main road). I'm not sure if that was from the dinner/dance crowd or the bars around. Sunday night was peaceful and quiet. All the staff were very friendly and nice and the owners stopped by to meet us in the bar, enquire about our stay, and bought us a drink. An enjoyable stay and we'll be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank bkbmom
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed in the hotel between Christmas and the New Year.

On a whole the hotel is lovely and good value however there were a few minor problems with our stay. Firstly, the hotel would only give us one room key for the room, even though there were two of us staying in the room. This is the first time I have ever come across this in a hotel. When we asked for another key we were told flatly that there was only one key for each room.

Attached to the room key was a key to the main door of the hotel. After a night out in Skibereen my friend returned to the hotel before midnight. When I returned to the hotel 10 minutes after midnight the hotel was locked up and no one answered the front door when I knocked at it. Obviously the idea is that you would use the frontdoor key that is attached to the room key, however I do not know how the hotel expects people to manage when they only give out one room key.

Also it felt a bit awkward having housekeeping waiting outside our door at 10.20am. As checkout was not until midday if felt like we were being urged to leave earlier.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnEternalTraveller
Reviewed November 2, 2006

The West Cork Hotel is located by a nice river, and in the town. Parking is quite good, but avoid narrow recommended back lane entrance and go for the one by the riverside. It has been refurbished in most parts, and my room was enormous and decorated with lots of lamps, a couch, tables etc. Bathroom equipped with bidet. Stairs up to rooms is pretty awkward and narrow, not suited to elderly. Breakfast choices limited. Overall this is a very good value hotel and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank DublinFlyer
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We stayed here at the end of Sept 2006 and found it quite nice. All told it cost less than €200 for two night B&B and dinner, which we felt was okay. The room was comfortable. It was clearly an older style hotel that has been done up. The staff we met were all friendly some very. The bar staff while okay were not the best in this area. The room was clean and the bed was fine.

The dinner we had in the hotel was very good, much better than we expected on a package deal. The hotel itself has been done up to most modern standards, but the dinning room is a bit old fashioned. There was no weddings there the nights we were there, but we did get a bit of noice from the late bar on the first night (our room was just above it). I could imagine if there was a wedding on there may be a bit of noice from it.

The town was grand and the hotel is very central to it. We really enjoyed ourselves. Having said that not a lot in the town itself (choice of resturant for the second night was limited), but certainly in a great location if you wanted to drive out.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom M
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Stayed here for 2 nights on a golfing trip, wasn't expecting too much as only reviews posted before this date were poor.

We couldn't complain at all, staff friendly and helpful, rooms functional and clean, bar staff accommodating even in the small hours and the steak was just fantastic, barely fitted on the plates and well cooked and served too.

I think that the hotel has come under new management quite recently.

Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank rizo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
12 mi away
Dunmore House Hotel
Dunmore House Hotel
#2 of 8 in Clonakilty
Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa

Been to The West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!