The West Cork Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skibbereen
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Beautiful rooms, very spacious with great bathroom facilities.

There is a great atmosphere in the hotel and the unusual outside terrace on a bridge overlooking the river is a nice touch.

The staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 13, 2009

From the moment we walked in we were made to feel at home by the staff. The rooms were clean and airy and the bar was full of friendly locals. There was a full menu with excellently prepared, presented and served foods. We will stay again if we are ever in the area.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

My new husband and I recently had our wedding reception at The West Cork Hotel and had the best day of our lives!!
This hotel is Irelands best kept secret!! Food, staff and service 10 out of 10!!
We'll definitely be going back - even just for a bowl of the best soup ever!!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I was over in Ireland for a long birthday weekend and we were based here. Its the only real choice in Skibbereen other than guest houses and €109 per night probably reflects that monopoly. Location is absolutely fine and it's central to the town. Service and staff were excellent. Ground floor, the main reception rooms and the dining room were fine.

Upstairs is another matter and our first floor room had a persistent and horrible smell of damp carpet as did the corridor outside. The room was large but very bland (like a suburban living room from the 70's) and had an ancient tv with a remote with worn out batteries. Several light bulbs were not working. The door had no inner locking snib so that you had to deadlock yourself into the room at night; this is hardly an ideal fire evacuation solution.
The room was advertised as overlooking the river but as the window cills were set high you could only see the river if you actually stood at the window on tiptoe.
Breakfast was very good except one morning when after a large function the night before it was laid out buffet style and was all very soggy and greasy.
I will visit Skibbereen again.............but not stay here.

1  Thank Cristoff
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Had a very pleasant surprise when I stayed here. Was not expecting the room to be as nice as their website is not great and doesnt really show the rooms. Receprion area definitely needs a face lift (start with a new carpet) but I would say it is in the works as the back of the hotel has been done up. Room was lovely, bathroom a bit tight but managable. Very good value really.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed in the West Cork Hotel a couple of weeks ago, had been in Tralee for a couple of days and wanted another two days somewhere to break journey back home! Decided on Skibbereen and looked up phone numbers of hotel in phone book. Rang on the morning of the day I wanted to check in and was told that there was availability for a two night stay for a double room. He quoted me 89Euro per night for B&B for the two of us or 2 B&B&1D for 124Euro each. Initially I told him that I would go for the two night package including dinner but on the drive to the Hotel we decided we would rather go out to eat. We were unsure about the Parking arrangements for the Hotel so initally parked on the street outside the Hotel. (Car park is to rear not well signposted). The Receptionist was a bit frosty and when I explained that I wanted to change from the dinner bed and breakfast package to just B&B she said that will be 109Euro a night. I explained that when I rang earlier that I was quoted 89Euro. She said she had no record of 89Euro but eventually gave me that rate. I understand that it was not her fault if the rate was coming up differently on the computer, however, it was a bad start to checking in as when you are put in a position like that you feel uncomfortable as if you're making up about the rate. The room was fine, small enough. The tea and coffee making facilities could be kept cleaner, the packets of coffee etc. were very jumbled up. The room was extremelly hot at night and one of the spotlights in the Bathroom was not working! The rooms loook like they were done up in the last couple of years. The door was quite irritating as it was the old fashion key lock not the new card sysytem, I did not mind this as such but you had to lock the door from the outside when you were leaving, it didn't automatically lock, only I always try the handle to make sure a door locks I could have walked off and left the room open. We went out for dinner and a few drinks and got back to the hotel around 1230am/1240am. We wanted to have one drink in the Residents Bar but the door was locked. I assumed that this was to stop the Public going in but when we went back to Reception and asked the chap on Reception, I assume he was the Night Porter/ DutyManager, he said he had just finished up serving and he could give us a drink to bring to our room if we liked?! The advertised time for the Residents Bar to close was long after this, I've never been in a Hotel where I couldn't get a drink at 1230 am! However I must say this chap was friendly. One good thing is that Breakfast is seved until 12 noon but the day we came down it was getting near 12 and the buffet had been removed but the Waitress was friendly and took our order.
I found the Restaurant staff friendly.
When we checked in the Receptionist gave us a list of Shops/Attractions in the area that were supposed to give a 10% discount if you were a Resident. One of these Attractions was the Heritage Centre but when I asked about this discount when buying two tickets the chap had never heard of this! The other girl there said that something was coming on line in relation to this and in fairness she gave us more than a 10% discount as a gesture, much appreciated! However, I was annoyed at the Hotel for this mix up as this was a second time I was made to feel like I was trying it on in relation to money! The hotel is fine but I have been in better quality three star hotels, however, the Hotel is currently being modernised.

1  Thank pussycat1981
Reviewed August 19, 2009

On this trip to Ireland I decided to tour the southern coast and the West Cork Hotel was one of the highlights!
It is a hidden gem in a small town called Skibbereen. The location is right in the town so you can walk within a few minutes to all the restaurants, bars and shops.
One of the best things about this hotel is that they serve their cooked Irish Breakfast until noon. Most places don't serve that late and one B&B we stayed in only served to 9:30
We stayed 2 nights and had dinner in a restaurant in town the first night and in the hotel restaurant on the second night. The food was excellent, huge compliments to the chef!

The hotel was very obviously recently renovated and had a very relaxing lounge area near the bar where you can sit and have your dring while the river flows by outside.

I recommend this hotel to anyone going to Ireland!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
12 mi away
Dunmore House Hotel
Dunmore House Hotel
#2 of 8 in Clonakilty
Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa

Been to The West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!