“Couldn't of done more for us!!!”

The West Cork Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skibbereen
Cork, Ireland
“Couldn't of done more for us!!!”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Great hotel that bent over backwards for us.
I organised my sisters Hen party and from the first call, I got a great response!!! On arrival all was sorted with great ease. Our room was lovely - very comfortable, renovated but still kept its old charm and with great rates. We got our own room for dinner which was fab, meal was so good and the service was superb - from everybody!! No problem was too much - they even went home to a house to get us a music player!!
After a great night out in the town, just a short walk away but far enough not to be near the noise!! we got a great sleep in very comfortable beds and the highlight for some might be that the fab breakfast serves up until 12!!!
From reception, to waitress, duty manager, owner, breakfast staff and even passing accommodation staff - everybody was so nice and friendly and interested in our party!!!
Everybody loved the hotel and I will definately come back soon just for the hotel and look forward to it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
WCORK, Front Office Manager at The West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Lisa
So delighted you and your group enjoyed your stay with us - it was a pleasure to meet you all and thank you for choosing The West Cork Hotel to celebrate Vikki's Hen!
Hope to see you all again soon in West Cork.,

Kind Regards
Edel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Really disappointed with this Hotel - I was really looking forward to staying here. The website is very clever and displays a very modern hotel - the truth is the location is on a busy main road with a smelly river at the side. Refurbishments have made the lobby, dining room and bar very attractive - but the furniture is so old in the lobby I would throw it out!! The customer service is dependent on the individual and is not consistently good - but never rude, just not good. Once you leave the lifts you are transported back to the 1970's in the corridoors and rooms. We had a real shock at the substandard furnishings and finishes. The room was tiny and overlooked the car park. However the room was spotlessley clean and smelt fresh and inviting. The furniture was old, particularly the bathroom. We slept well with no noise to disturb us. We did not eat in the restaurant as the menu was not to our taste but there was plenty of customers coming to the hotel for the daily specials. The breakfast was superb. The lady serving us finally delivered the customer service we had been searching for. The quality of the food and the variety on offer was very impressive. The cost of the room was OK for what we had received - we checked out with the coldness we had come to expect from the staff. We were not asked how we found our stay, if we were happy with the service or wished us well in our travels. I would not recommend this hotel or stay here again - it does not deliver on the standards I expect from a hotel.

Room Tip: Keep driving on past to the next available hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SecondHoneymooners10
Thank you for sharing your comments with us, I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I believe our General Manager, has called you regarding your feedback.
Kind Regards
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The West Hotel Is just excellent. The dining room managed to cater for 160 singers and 120 members of the Orchestra as if there was only a group of 10! the food was excellent , especially the vegetarian and gluten free choices. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and accomodating.
At least 30 of us had booked to overnight at the hotel, the rooms were spotless and although some people didn't spend much time in the rooms(!) they were comfortable and of a good size. Some people didn't enjoy the distance of their room from the foyer but this is the only negative. The breakfast was lovely , the dining room really sunny and condusive to staying all day and chatting over toast and coffee!
I am going back with my family and the choir will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
WCORK, Front Office Manager at The West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your review - we were delighted to host your choir - it was a pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again!
ireland
Reviewed April 28, 2011

stayed here on a sunday night,lovely room ,great bed,slight problem on check in but was rectified with a no fuss, no problem attitude, which is refreshing to say the least (local staff) fab breakfast the folowing morning ,self service "healthy" followed by grilled breakfast which was cooked to order and all in for 69 euro for 2 really good value shall stay here again

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stais
WCORK, Front Office Manager at The West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback, hope to see you again soon!
Portsmouth
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I arrived into Skibbereen and could not find a guesthouse availible, so I called the hotel and after discussing my requirements I was given a Very good rate. My initial room was quite small but fine for a single person. After 2days elsewhere I checked back in and they remembered me and gave me my same rates and upgraded my room and it was a lot bigger. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic, You could pretty much have everything and anything listed. When breakfast was busy I found I was overlooked for about 15min and other people sat nearer the staff were constantly being served before me, however after going and asking to be served everything was great.
The Bar was a good place for a drink or to take in one of the daily meal specials.
The location was perfect, right in the centre of town so after exploring West Cork you could park up in the carpark and walk into town for a well deserved Guinness.

I would stay here again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Xanadu1976
WCORK, Front Office Manager at The West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind comments, and my apologies that you were overlooked during breakfast service. We hope you will come back to see us again soon,

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I spent a couple of nights at the West Cork with my 13-year old daughter; I know the area very well having visited regularly over a period of many years, but this was my first stay at the hotel. After booking online I received a very friendly confirmation email, and when we arrived we were greeted with the same warmth and informality. We were a bit early for check-in, so were given an alternative room which was ready; it was clean and modern, very quiet, and had a limited but pretty view over the river and beyond. The bathroom was spotless - always a key factor in my assessment - and the bath and shower were both excellent. The room was a bit warm at night (the weather was unexpectedly mild after the long cold winter) but I turned the radiator off and opened the window slightly and we were quite comfortable.
We ate in the hotel dining room both nights, and the menu offered an excellent choice of courses with emphasis on fresh seafood and other local products. I thought the standard of cuisine and presentation was superb, and the service friendly, prompt and unobtrusive - everything you could want from a good restaurant. My daughter is a fussy eater (!) but was catered for without difficulty and with the same cheerful, easy-going attitude which made it such a pleasure to stay here.
Irish hospitality is legendary and County Cork is one of the friendliest places I know. The West Cork lived up to all my expectations in this respect, and I recommend it without hesitation. I would describe it as comfortable rather than posh, and there is some refurbishment still under way, but there was genuinely nothing to complain about.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
So glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay - hopefully you'll come back to see the finished product once our renovations are completed, hoping to finish our bar end of April!
See you soon,
Edel O'Donovan
Dublin
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I was visiting for two nights to do a sponsored cycle in the area and booked late. Was told the hotel was full but received a phone call a few hours later to be told of a cancellation - happy days! I arrived late during atrocious weather and received a lovely welcome. My room was probably the furthest one from reception and was smallish but fine for one. The directions to it would have been easier with a sat-nav... (2nd night I got lost and was trying to enter the wrong room before I copped my mistake). I went on my cycle the next day and arrived back absolutely soaking wet. Luckily, the staff were very sympathetic and arranged for an extra heater for my room to enable me to dry my cycle gear. I had food in the bar the first night and my breakfast in the restaurant. Both were excellent and great portions. I'm going back in July '11 with family and if I'm looked after half as well I'll be a very happy man.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
Maritime Hotel
#2 of 5 in Bantry
Fernhill House Hotel
Fernhill House Hotel
#1 of 8 in Clonakilty

Been to The West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!