“Amazing Experiences!!”
Review of Bridge House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skibbereen
Bridge House
Ranked #2 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Oldenburg, Germany
“Amazing Experiences!!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I just came for a couple of nights to see the islands of west cork and i staid longer then i expected. Every day is a different day; there is so much going on in this house, it changes everyday. This house has a character and the lovely Lady `Mona` who makes it special.
Very lovely place, welcoming and unusual.
You have to see it yourself.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The Bridge House really is no ordinary guesthouse. It resembles something out of a Tim Burton movie, or something from a magical child hood dream. Tucked away on the quaint street, on the outside it would draw any passer by in. It is beautiful on the outside and inside. Once I was welcomed by Mona, my visual senses went wild with all the beautiful objects and ornaments placed together. It's 'rock and roll meets vintage' yet there is a timeless and dynamic feel to the atmosphere.
The rooms have their own little colour scheme. I stayed in the Pink Room. Not wanting to leave the bed in the morning, I couldn't help but think that it was like a dolls house. Its delicate and feminine, as well as having classic features of a Victorian bedroom. I also had a sneak peek at the other rooms, which were labelled 'Green' and 'Blue.' What is great about these spaces is that they are completely different to one another, with their own little story to tell. The Green room has two beds, but mainly defines itself by having red and white features. The wall paper is the same texture as Zebra skin, there are pretty mirrors and paintings on the wall. It is as if every little ornament found its place and compliments the environment.
The Blue room, with its grand double bed and feather like mosquito net, is romantic and peaceful. There are books on classic movie stars, as well as a big country drawer. The little bathroom at the back is simply adorable. The pink carpet gives a warm feel. It is essentially very chic.

The star of the show, is of course the magnificent Mona Best. With her quirky alternative dress sense and lively sense of humour, she'll make you feel at home. Her knowledge of Skibbereen is outstanding, as well as areas within West Cork. She is also a great conversationist, and knows how to keep everything on its toes.

The Breakfast could not be any better. I loved how it was a starter and main course. The starter being not your average fruit salad! Slices of melon, kiwi, raspberries, etc being presented in an art form. As the old saying goes, we really do eat with our eyes. It was then followed up by a hearty, warm fry up. Local meats, juicy tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, etc. Everything looked pretty, tasted divine. Nice tea and coffee, as well as a chance to try a wide variety of herbal teas too.

Overall, The Bridge House, with its quirky charm is a treasure nobody can miss. In my opinion, it should be the Queen of Bridge Street. Will definitely visit again. Its something different for the travelling senses.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 2, 2014

At the first arriving we thought a little bit funny, but after the heartly welcome from Mona and discovering every corner of this nice and beautiful accomodation we have been fascinated. On the next morning we have been surprised by a fantastic breakfast. She gave us also a lot of hints and tipps around the area. We would book it again ;-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DirkW6921PR
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My mother, father, and I stayed with Mona at the Bridge House on our very first trip to Ireland. Being American, we weren't sure what to expect. The Bridge House exceeded our expectations. It is absolutely exquisite. The bedrooms are so beautiful and well-decorated, and the beds are so comfortable! Mona is the best part though. She is a wonderful woman and is very helpful. The breakfasts she made us were delicious!!! It was so well done and professional. I loved everything about my experience at the Bridge House and I would never stay anywhere else in Skibbereen!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Booked for a girly getaway on the basis of its reviews, Bridge House and Mona did not disappoint! We had enormous fun just exploring every corner of our rooms and the amazing decor! Mona is a delightful hostess, helpful with recommendations of places to eat and places to visit, and a source of great stories ... do spend time getting to know her while you are here! And enjoy her home, it's an incredible experience staying here, unlike any other.

Room Tip: Right on the street, so ask for the back bedroom if you're not used to traffic. And let Mona kn...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Bridge House, Skibbereen should be on the tourist map as a place worthy of visiting in and of itself, regardless of its everyday function as a guest house. This B & B is a den of quirky treasures, a unique testament to the idiosyncratic vision of its owner. From fairy lit mannequins, statues of Buddha and St Patrick, to lizards looking in the window, you can easily believe you are in some strange fantasy land worthy of J. R. R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. In a world of designer blandness, it is refreshing to meet something absolutely distinct and out on its own. And if that were not enough to attract you in, Mona is a warm and lively hostess and her breakfasts are second to none. I totally enjoyed my stay in the Bridge House and after leaving I definitely have a story to tell and a tale to relate. You can't say that for too many places these days.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Hanging over the entrance to Bridge House is a colorful sign stating 'Enter as strangers, leave as friends' and having stayed in this totally unexpected eclectic B&B, thats run by the lovely Mona, I have to agree.

From the moment we arrived at the door, without a booking, Mona was more than accommodating. Entering the hall we were greeted by a rather dapper looking mannequin in a top hat, followed shortly by a warm welcome from the proprietor herself.

The room she guided us to was beautifully decorated, full of tasteful antique furniture and had an array of unexpected curios that provided us with lots of laughs - most notably, the impossible to make puzzle, fifty shades of grey, a bible and a pair of handcuffs!

The breakfast was presented well and the table was laid out with adorable china cups, a cute teapot that was kept heated by a tea light underneath and a lovely fresh flower adorning the butter in the butter dish, to name but a few of the special touches. Mona also offered a great selection herbal teas.

Overall, the B&B is by far the most unique and unusual I've visited in Ireland or any other country. Its just not the kind of place that you would expect to find in West Cork, but I think that adds to the charm of the place. Mona is warm, welcoming and she is helpful far beyond the call of duty and having had the Bridge House experience, I feel confident in staying that I will organize any future trips to West Cork in such a way that I can stay in this wonderful B&B.

For a finishing note, I'd also like to mention that the locals we spoke with are really proud of this B&B! They were telling us about the awards it had won and that it was voted the most unique B&B in Ireland - I can't remember the exact award, but I can say that its well deserved!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
The West Cork Hotel
#5 of 12 in Skibbereen
Russagh Mill Hostel
Russagh Mill Hostel
#1 of 6 in Skibbereen

Been to Bridge House? Share your experiences!