“Disappointment”

Book In Advance
More Info
$56.62*
and up
Ring of Kerry and Skellig Experience Centre Day...
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Fair warning I managed to pick a week of gales for my trip, thus keeping me from the Skellig, so I may not have experienced the center as I should have. That being said, I thought the museum was very small, and not particularly informative, at least not informative enough for the price of entry. The movie was quite nice, since that was as close the the real "Skellig Experience" as I was going to get. So, if you can make it to the Skellig, don't bother with this place, but if you want to take a moment to mope in the dark while you watch a decent short film, this is your place.

1  Thank Elizabeth R
"thousand years"
"world heritage site"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 2, 2013

If you do not have the time or ability to visit Skellig Michael in person, but want to experience it vicariously, this place is for you. Located just over the bridge on Valentia Island, the small visitor center has an interpretive exhibit, a video presentation, a cafeteria and daily sailings to the island itself. The interpretive center covers history and life of the monks, Skellig during wartime, modern day light houses, and light house living on Skellig. The short movie covers the history very well. If we were closer to get here often, we would probably visit in person at some time. But, we felt our time better spent at the Center than on the actual trip to Skellig. We were here the first of May, and we were told this was the first day in twelve that boats were actually able to make the trip there and back.  We enjoyed the presentation and information..and the bonus views of Portamagee, a small fishing village across the channel.

1  Thank Darbymo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The museum is well done and very informative. A movie presentation was very good. I did not go out to the islands. The weather was not good for making the trip. Although it was a clear day, it was windy. Don't know if i could have done the stairs. But it must be something to see. Don't miss this

Reviewed March 29, 2013

centre ok but take the boat trip to get the full experience but you may need a rain coat even on a nice day and a plastic bag for your camera

1  Thank SouthamptonUKAndy22