“one of the family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cahersiveen
Mannix Point Camping and Caravan Park. (Mortimer's)
Bristol, United Kingdom
“one of the family”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My first time to the west coast of Ireland was a real treat, enhanced by our stay at Mannix Point Campsite. The facilities are excellent with use of fully equipped kitchen and dining area. Our host Mortimer and his staff made us feel so welcome, and nothing was too much trouble. We were treated like one of the family. The location too is amazing sited right on the coast with amazing views. There was also live music in the homely lounge some evenings. I look forward to visiting again soon, and would recommend this campsite to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Penang
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is a very friendly site. Pat and Mortimer always had a smile on their faces (and why wouldn't they with such beautiful surroundings!!). Our pitch was overlooking the sea with mountains behind. Perfect. There was lots of information about the local area at reception. The facilities are really good with a good cooking area and lounge room. I believe there are usually music sessions there most nights but we didn't go to any of them. The showers were 1 euro tokens for 5 minutes but the water pressure was really good and the water hot. We drove around The Ring of Kerry one day stopping at various points along the way. The scenery is spectacular. Another day we drove over to Valentia Island. The Skellig Experience was rubbish and a waste of money. Don't bother!! However, we went up to the Fogher Cliffs, Geokaun Mountain, the grotto and Knightstown all of which were well worth a visit. We would have liked to have gone over to St Michael's Monastry but ran out of time. The Ring of kerry hotel is around a 5 minute walk from the road and has a nice bar and serves good food. Caherciveen is around a 15 minute walk from the road with pubs. The site itself is around 300 metres from the main road so takes 5 minutes to walk to the main road. At night time we drove up to the main road and parked at a parking bay (I think a drop off area for school kids). A bit naughty but no-one was around at that time of night and it made a more pleasant walk into town. I think others had the same idea as there were a few more cars parked there. All in all we enjoyed our stay there and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing pitch is possible
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Once again a fabulous holiday at Mannix Point. Mortimer and his kind and friendly team made sure we felt at home as soon as we arrived by helping us with our tent (it was a might breezy) and making sure we had everything we needed. The sessions of an evening were wonderful and often so busy that we couldn't get in the room so get there early! Mortimer is the most knowledgeable man and knows everyone, where to go whatever you wish to do during the day or night. Beautiful views all around, clean and tidy bathrooms which are permanently being mopped and cleaned, a fully equipped kitchen (I've never seen one anywhere else) and a knowledge of the area which surpasses all other campsites that I have ever known too.

I have travelled around europe and camped in many different sites, but none match the welcome you will receive at Mortimer's Mannix Point. Book you holiday today and you will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LizzyLeicester
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Hi all...I am going to write a review from my childrens view...just for a change

Isobel aged 6

I liked the beach and the dens.We made a big den with all the other children and played in there. The ice cream man came in also and we had crepes in the morning. The lady who made them was really nice and gave us a few new ones to try for free.

We played cops and robbers, The men where nice who ran the camp and we had nice food in the hotel near the camp site. We found a dog there, who was lost, and we called him Mutly. But his owner saw him and took him home.

The other children were really nice who stayed there and I met a boy called George who hit me with a reed. We played together all the time and one of the girls had a birthday party and we were invited.

Megan aged 9

We made a big Den in the bushes and played loads of games there. The boys tried to attack it and take it over but the girls won. We had yummy crepes and ice cream in the camping park and I played loads of games on the beach. We saw people sailing on the sea and we went on a ferry.

There is loads of books in the music room and we read one every night and put them back for another new book. We also climbed trees and saw The Skelligs from Valencia Island.

So that's it in a nutshell. The girls had a great time and were tired out every night, playing all the games that kids should play, really enjoying themselves and meeting loads of new kids. I enjoyed my stay there also and best of luck to all the staff for the remaining of the season. Thank you Pat and Mortimor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol O
Enniscorthy, Ireland
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights from the 13th aug with our two small children in a touring caravan. Yes, the lane down to the site is poor but the torrential rain has not helped. Pitches are well laid out with lovely views over the water. Grass was very wet due to the terrible weather & wellies were a necessity. However, despite the rain we had a great time mainly due to the very pleasant people we met & the very welcome space of the campers sitting room. We sing & play music so being able to bring the two children up here & mingle with others in front of a peat fire with a glass or two was great! This cosy room has lots of books & musical instruments & is a great informal area, brilliant for the kids too. We had a few great sessions with kids joining in & it didn't matter what the musical experience was, all were welcome! The strand is stony but excellent for searching for crabs with the kids & it's so close to the pitches that it's very safe. Perfect place to chill out & relax!!!! Would visit again!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Scolfer
ireland
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at Mannix Point in the summer of 2011. I was in desperate need of some relaxation after returning to college as a mature student! From the moment we arrived at the campsite, we were absolutely seduced by the stunning scenery and the fantastic welcome we received. A lovely guy cycled around to show us a choice of pitches for our tent, and we settled on one near the waters edge. I wish I could describe and do justice to the amazing scene that greeted me each morning as I woke.

As seasoned campers, we found the facilities and staff to be second to none. I could not recommend Mannix Point more highly. Thank you to all who were so kind and helpful, they made my stay so memorable. Hope to see you all again soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rarebirdy
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed for a week at mannix point after having read the rave reviews. We were staying in our touring caravan (this is our first season) but we have been camping throughout ireland and the uk for many years.
On arrival (after 8 hr drive) I was welcomed by a man who demanded that "for gods sake don't drive on the grass". In fairness this wasn't Mortimer who seemed to be much friendlier.
Also, I do appreciate that the area has suffered from one of the wettest summers ever so I can't criticise the swampy conditions!
What I can't forgive is the poor standard of cleanliness in the toilets/ showers. I appreciate shabby sheek but the showers and toilets were not clean and really put us off using them. There was a cleaner but she didn't seem to be very thorough and quite frankly the shower trays were disgusting.
Also a big annoyance was the half mile lane way which was so rutted and potholed that I feared it may damage my car and my bicycle.
On a plus side the location is fabulous and the views stunning, a great base from which to tour Kerry. Sorry for the poor review but we were really disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Lamont7615
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahersiveen
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
#1 of 8 in Portmagee
Sive Hostel
Sive Hostel
#2 of 5 in Cahersiveen

Been to Mannix Point Camping and Caravan Park. (Mortimer's)? Share your experiences!