“All Great”
Review of Sneem Hotel

Sneem Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Our one-night stay was perfect.
Helpful, friendly staff. Gret room. Beautiful site. Couldn't have been better.
The little town of Sneem is a short pleasant walk. The walking trails near the property are charming and the parking is abundant.

Room Tip: If you're willing to py the premium, a water view would be nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've just returned from a 5 night stay in the Sneem Hotel, Room was lovely, great location, friendly staff, but a few things a miss with the general hotel, when we arrived, in the front lobby, there is a brochure stand, which could seriously do with a tidy up, it was like a child mixed them all up, but or the 5 days we were there was never touched, a vase with a withered bunch of lillieLs gretted us at the front door, Also not changed for the week!, bar seriously was missing atmosphere! 1st ever hotel where we were charged for newspapers!!!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I are just back from a 3 day mid-week stay in celebration of our 10th anniversary at the Sneem Hotel. We travel worldwide extensively and often stay in 4* and 5* hotels as part of my husband's work. While I have no doubts this is the nicest hotel in Sneem, I don't think it really qualifies as 5*. It is in a lovely location with all the rooms on the back side of the hotel having great views of Sneem harbour and the mountains beyond. The rooms on the front side have a disappointing view of the parking lot and some rocks with barely any landscaping to speak of around the property. The hotel is nice in that it is obviously fairly new but when we arrived I wasn't even sure it was a hotel it looked so much like a college dorm or some generic office building. While the entrance has a nice porte cochere it could definitely benefit from some landscaping and even some nice evergreens and flowers in pots - something at least to say 'Welcome'. The lobby is bright and airy and nice neutral colors, fireplace, etc. and was comfortable to have a drink or tea. We had dinner two of our three nights in the hotel and dinner was very good though not exceptional - I had fish both nights (sea bass and halibut) - the halibut was delicious and nicely cooked. My husband was very happy with steaks both nights. Breakfast was the usual eggs, sausages, rashers, mushrooms, cereals, fruit, etc. I do wish higher end hotels in Ireland would branch out a little bit in their breakfast offerings....why not some french toast or waffles once in a while even though I know it's not traditional Irish breakfast fare. Sneem Hotel was chock full of germans and Americans and French when we were there and I'm sure they would appreciate the variety as well. Now I know this is a small thing to complain about but I am really not a fan of the way scrambled eggs are generally done in Ireland - rubbery, watery, completely overcooked. Not appetizing at all. They should be lovely and creamy and fluffy. That being said, the kitchen at Sneem did make me a very nice cheese omelet one of the mornings upon request.
Our room was huge, clean, amazing views and huge terrace which we really enjoyed. We took out the kayaks available to guests for about 1 1/2 hours and upon our return realized that one of them had a whole in the stern which was taking on water the whole time my husband was in it. That could've been pretty bad news as we ventured pretty far from the hotel. I told the front desk staff as soon as we returned and I was assured they would have it taken out of circulation immediately. However, I could see it still sitting with the others out in the open for the rest of our stay - available to anyone. Hot tub and gym room were depressing dark rooms in the bottom of the hotel - not enticing at all. While we had a great time at Sneem Hotel it was mostly because we had a lovely room with a great view and enjoyed doing things in the Sneem area. I would say more like 4*'s at best.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side of hotel a definite. Only way you'll get a view.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

ALL of the great things said about this hotel are true, but one caution. The bathrooms are large, modern and gorgeous, but open-shower style (no walls, doors or curtains to block the spray from the rest of the room) and the floor tile is the same as the wall tile, which makes it extremely slippery! Also, it would be lovely if they would add at least a small shelf on which you could place your toiletries near the sink.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This is an extremely comfortable, even luxurious, hotel with a beautiful view of Kenmare Bay. If I was going on honeymoon I would recommend it as one is left in peace - but we felt that because it was new, the building was a bit generic, ie it it could have been anywhere in the world. The rooms were spacious and the beds very comfortable. However, our rooms overlooked the parking lot and not the bay, and we were woken by people driving off at 6am. If you want to book here, request a room overlooking the bay - it is truly spectacular. The breakfast was generous and delicious, the staff super friendly and helpful, and nearby Sneem is pretty and has some good restaurants and shops on offer.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I are recently back from a midweek stay in the Sneem Hotel. It was our first time to stay here and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is in a stunning location on the outskirts of Sneem village. We were lucky to be booked into a room with a view of the lake which was just magnificent. We were blessed with the weather. The sun was splitting the rocks for our whole stay. Our room was spacious, modern and very clean.
The staff in the hotel are friendly and welcoming. The food in the restaurant was amazing, I haven't enjoyed a meal out as much in a long time. Barfood and breakfast were equally as good.
Plenty to do in the area, walking, fishing and hotel guests can avail of the free kayaks and canoes as well as bicycles. There are some lovely walk ways around the area.

I just had a couple of negative points with the hotel. The gym area was a bit run down and I wasn't too keen on the look of the jacuzzi. Its a pity the hotel doesn't have a swimming pool but in saying that, there are plenty of other activities to do in the area that make up for it.
Also the bicycles were fairly run-down. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a brand new bike but the ones we took out for a cycle had seen better days. If anything, we had a laugh about it while cycling through the village.

I would highly recommend this hotel and it is definitely a hotel we will be returning to again soon.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with a view of the lake, it is well worth it.
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We (my wife and I) have recently returned from a 2 day stay in this hotel and we were very impressed with the standards.From our first encounter with the lovely and very helpful Esther at reception to our departure we found the hotel to be a little trasure throve in the midst of a truly iddylic location.All of the staff and particularly Esther on reception went out of their way to ensure all your requests were met with a "no problem"attitude which was a joy to behold.The room which we booked (a sea view room with a very small suplement)was very spacious with a fantastic view of Goldens Cove.The food at the hotel was also excellent as was the cleanliness of the hotel itself.In fact this hotel could qualify for 5 star quality if it had a leisure facility.The hot tub and steam room that were available did not match the standards of the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Superior room with sea view is well worth the extra supplement.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
#7 of 38 in Killarney
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Sneem Hotel? Share your experiences!