“Not very relaxing!”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Myself and six friends came here as we heard the spa was lovely. Our first impression was not the best. We walked into the busy dressing room to find children running around using all the showers, hairdryers etc. It was like a creche. We decided not to go swimming as it was full of screaming children. We went out to the hot tub and there was a child there too. The sauna, steam room and relaxation are is meant for adults only, however there was a child sitting on the relaxation chairs waiting for her parents.

The treatments themselves were lovely and there is another relaxation room where you sit and relax after your treatments. However, instead of taking advantage of the magnificent scenery they have, the relaxation room is facing a bush???!!!

I totally understand that this is a family hotel and the children have the right to be in the pool and have a great time but the hotel should be able to ensure that no children enter the SPA facilities. It is a pity that they do not have a separate changing area and small infinity pool for the SPA

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sinedublin
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Dear sinedublin,

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. We here at Parknasilla value all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain and improve our standards in the future.

Firstly, I was glad to read that you enjoyed your treatments and found your therapist to be of a high standard. Secondly, let me apologise for the circumstances you have mentioned regarding the pool and thermal suite. We are a very family friendly hotel, however we do have a policy that no children are allowed in the thermal suite and the jacuzzis. We have a life guard or pool attendant present at peak times to enforce this policy. However on this occasion we have failed you for which I apoloigse.

I had spoken with our Spa Manager after you initially emailed me to follow up and as stated in my reply email, she will revert back to you in with regard to your concerns in due course.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We visited for two nights with relative from australia. What a hotel. Great room , great service . The staff were unobrusive but always on hand , extremely freindly and made us feel very much at home. Check in was a breeze with such a pleasent receptionist. We used the thermal spa , the pool and the canadian hot tubs which were very pleasurable even in the rain. What a view from the hot tub. All i can say is this is a top class hotel with top class staff in a lovely part of the world . I have no faults and will absolutely be going back. Thank you parknasilla .

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard L
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Richard L,

Let me begin by thanking you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you shall be returning to us. I am glad that you had​ time to experience some of the facilities that the hotel has to offer including the thermal suite and outdoor hot tubs.

I have always said that the staff here are the hotels greatest asset and are in my opinion irreplaceable. Their dedication and commitment to providing a top quality service for our guests is unparalleled. They have a true interest in ensuring that all our guests enjoy their stay. I will be sure to pass on your regards to them, they will be thrilled as I am to hear that you enjoyed your time and will be returning.

Again thank you for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had tried on three previous occasions to get drinks at this hotel but invariably a wedding meant the hotel was closed to visitors. Anyway on this family reunion sixteen of us called in for afternoon tea and drinks. Well did we interrupt their day! We found a suitable area to sit. Very few staff were around but eventually I found someone and asked them to take a drinks order - he said he would be along to us. After a few minutes more I found another person at reception (no one at that desk when we arrived) and made the same request. Eventually the grumpy individually came along determined not to smile or give any hint of welcome. He took the order although he was singularly unhelpful when one of the group needed help to understand which types of bottled cider were available. To be fair, when he came back all the drinks were correct and handed to the correct person. Of course, we were not asked at any point whether we wanted another round so we paid and left. No thank you or encouragement to come back. The staff were not to know whether we might have been looking to use the hotel for a future wedding or event but on the basis of that service we will not. Parknasilla has always tried to to give the impression of being something special dating back to when used to holiday in that area when we were kids. On the basis of our experience I cannot see how this had been earned especially when compared to the welcome and service we received at the Sneem Hotel just two miles away. I wish we had not bothered.

1  Thank BrennanHertfordshire

Dear BrennanHertfordshire,

Let me begin by thanking you for completing a review and sharing your experiences with us. We do value all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain our standards and continue to improve in the future. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Parknasilla and I wish to apologise for the poor service you feel you received.

I was very surprised to read your review as we generally receive good feedback. I am sorry that you were unable to attend on certain days due to a wedding function at the hotel. We do hold the hotel exclusive for wedding guests, however I am sorry that this inconvenienced you. In terms of the service in the bar, I am sorry that we did not meet our own standards and that you did not enjoy your time with us. I profusely apologise for this and will speak with the Bar Manager to ensure that this does not occur again.

Again to conclude I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review and should you wish to discuss any element of your visit in further detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have just returned from a weeks holiday at Parknasilla,stayed in the 3 bed Woodland villas.The houses were ideal and set in a lovely location,close to the playground and the forest for lovely long walks.The staff in the hotel are very pleasant and helpful.Food in the bar is very good. We were disappointed with a 5 euro charge for a baby bowl,literally a small bit of potatoe with a drizzle of soup. Kids had a blackcurrant each and a 1euro charge for each.Apart from that the food is top quality.Pool facilities are spotless and well kept.Lifeguard on duty. Wonderful fairy trail which we all enjoyed and nature walks.All in all we were well looked after and hope to be back again.

Room Tip: House 502 and 501 are very well positioned.
1  Thank prianono

Dear prianono,

Let me start by thanking you for your kind review and for taking the time out to share your experience with us. I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time on your holidays with us here in Parknasilla. I am glad that you found the villas to be of a good standard and were happy with all the facilities available. We installed the playground last year and has become of the most popular activities for kids along with our very famous fairy trail.

I am glad that you found the food offering and service to your satisfaction and enjoyed the pool and leisure facilities also. To conclude I am most happy that you intend to return to us again, and view this as a true testament to the quality service that we provide. I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Parknasilla was recommended to us by my 83 year old mother as a great place to unwind after just moving house. She was so right! There are lots of raving reviews of Parknasilla and I can only agree with them. The setting, the walks, the pool and spa, the food, the friendly staff are all great.
It can be difficult to pin point though what makes the difference between very good and excellent. We loved the silver GSH coffee pots and sugar bowels at breakfast, the bathing boxes in a secluded cove, the piano player in the bar, the possibility to read a book (or browse the internet!) in a comfy armchair with a magnificent view and enjoy a cup of tea and homemade scones! Most of all, there is a unique atmosphere of relaxed elegance without any pretence or arrogance.

Room Tip: The loft rooms to the back are really quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeemBay

Dear KeemBay,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and had time to unwind after what must have been a very busy time.

We are very lucky here at Parknasilla to be situated in one of the most idyllic and picturesque locations in Ireland and to have what I believe is one of the most hard working and dedicated staff teams both which contribute to the overall enjoyable experience for guest and visitors alike.

Again, I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind regards to all of our staff who will be equally happy. Thank you again for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was a very welcome and unexpected find on our travels around Ireland. Like a trip back in time to a world where service and good manners really mattered. Fabulous wholesome, natural food - even the burgers and "chips". Big rooms with high ceilings, this must have been an amazing house for some bigwig when it was built a hundred years ago. Incredible setting in lush scenery on the atlantic coastline. Straight out of a 1950s movie but with all the modern conveniences you could ask for. Worth coming back to Ireland for just to visit this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sean R
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Sean R,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. I am so glad that you found us during your time in Ireland and were happy with the standard of service that we provide. I agree with you we really are a hidden gem along the Kerry Way and take great pride in preserving the old traditions of service.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed the setting of our hotel, we are very lucky to be located in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland surrounded by the Caha Mountains and beautiful Kenmare Bay.

To finish, thank you for writing a review and ​I l​ook forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

A trip worth doing! Travelled with 4 children ages from 20 months to 11years.From the youngest to the oldest all had a ball ! For those who have never stayed in the villas before if you have a young toddler that you want to keep a little eye on villa 515 or (15) has a small enclosed patio area that will keep your little one secure...well you might get 20 minutes on and off!!!
Loads to do the walk from the villa is 8 minutes to the main hotel, this is lovely we rarely took our car only to Kenmare for a day to do some much needed retail therapy!! There is numerous walks, they are beautiful, bring your towel, have a swim, have a snooze!! (if your lucky) Don't forget to use the spa, heaven...
In all the villas had everything you could possibly need and were spotlessly clean. Looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: Villa 15 if you have a little toddler, small enclosed patio.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Paul K,

Let me begin by thanking you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you and all
​the family enjoyed your break at the Woodland Villas and that you got some rest during your stay. The Villas are an ideal location for bigger groups or those travelling with children. They provide the extra space needed while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I am thrilled that you had time to experience all that is good about Parknasilla and enjoyed the spa and mapped walks. Many arrive at the resort and don't leave for the week that they are here. I believe this is a true testament to the quality of the hotel and resort and the facilities that are available here. I am glad that you also found this to be the case.

To conclude, thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the hopefully not so distant future.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
13 mi away
Brook Lane Hotel
Brook Lane Hotel
#1 of 6 in Kenmare

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!