“Old-fashioned Luxury”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was a very welcome and unexpected find on our travels around Ireland. Like a trip back in time to a world where service and good manners really mattered. Fabulous wholesome, natural food - even the burgers and "chips". Big rooms with high ceilings, this must have been an amazing house for some bigwig when it was built a hundred years ago. Incredible setting in lush scenery on the atlantic coastline. Straight out of a 1950s movie but with all the modern conveniences you could ask for. Worth coming back to Ireland for just to visit this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sean R
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Sean R,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. I am so glad that you found us during your time in Ireland and were happy with the standard of service that we provide. I agree with you we really are a hidden gem along the Kerry Way and take great pride in preserving the old traditions of service.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed the setting of our hotel, we are very lucky to be located in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland surrounded by the Caha Mountains and beautiful Kenmare Bay.

To finish, thank you for writing a review and ​I l​ook forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

A trip worth doing! Travelled with 4 children ages from 20 months to 11years.From the youngest to the oldest all had a ball ! For those who have never stayed in the villas before if you have a young toddler that you want to keep a little eye on villa 515 or (15) has a small enclosed patio area that will keep your little one secure...well you might get 20 minutes on and off!!!
Loads to do the walk from the villa is 8 minutes to the main hotel, this is lovely we rarely took our car only to Kenmare for a day to do some much needed retail therapy!! There is numerous walks, they are beautiful, bring your towel, have a swim, have a snooze!! (if your lucky) Don't forget to use the spa, heaven...
In all the villas had everything you could possibly need and were spotlessly clean. Looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: Villa 15 if you have a little toddler, small enclosed patio.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Paul K,

Let me begin by thanking you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you and all
​the family enjoyed your break at the Woodland Villas and that you got some rest during your stay. The Villas are an ideal location for bigger groups or those travelling with children. They provide the extra space needed while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I am thrilled that you had time to experience all that is good about Parknasilla and enjoyed the spa and mapped walks. Many arrive at the resort and don't leave for the week that they are here. I believe this is a true testament to the quality of the hotel and resort and the facilities that are available here. I am glad that you also found this to be the case.

To conclude, thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the hopefully not so distant future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

This is our umpteenth visit to Parknasilla, and we've always had a great stay. Some comments say that the hotel is a little "worn" in places, but to us it just adds to the charm. The food in the restaurant was excellent and good value and the wine list is not overpriced like some hotels. The bar food was excellent, and the breakfast was lovely with an extensive choice - plenty to set you up for the day. We've stayed in lots of the rooms and they've all been a very good standard, clean and comfortable. All that said, the long term staff and the setting of Parknasilla are the two things that make Parknasilla special. We love the views, the walks around the grounds, the pool, jacuzzi, tennis, the sea swimming (there are loads of other activities and facilities and a spa to boot) and all the places you can laze around......And for us, that's what it's all about - somewhere you can go and relax in wonderful surroundings - with no need to move outside the grounds if you don't want to and plenty to do if you want to. When you spend a few days in Parknasilla - it's been our experience that you go home rested and chilled..... We'll be back!

Room Tip: Our experience of all rooms has been good. If you want a sea view, pay the bit extra, but there are...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear DHAandCoIreland,

Let me begin by thanking you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you are very regular guests to Parknasilla and we continue to provide a service that you are happy with year after year. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience. Our kitchen and restaurant staff work extremely hard all year long to ensure that all our guests enjoy their meal.

We are every lucky to be situated in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland with majestic views over the Kenmare Bay and Caha Mountains, situated on 500 acres of an estate, there are plenty of inlets and coves to explore and admire the beautiful surroundings.

On another note, I agree with your comment in relation to our staff, I truly believe they are they greatest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and pride in their work is unparalleled and they have a true interest in providing the most enjoyable experience for all our guests. I will be sure to pass on your regards to them, they will be thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay.

To conclude, I am delighted that you have enjoyed your time with us and that you will be returning. I look forward to welcoming you through our gates again in the near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Sometimes it is a mistake to go back, but returning to Parknasilla after 47 years was most definitely not. The charm remained and a wonderful spa has been added which enabled us to relax in a hot tub on a deck with a view of the Atlantic - very special. Our room was lovely, the food was excellent and the staff were very helpful. The leprechauns smile on this corner of Ireland.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear epicurus44,

I am so thankful that you took the time out to complete a review and share your thoughts with us. It is wonderful that you decided to return to us here at Parknasilla and that we exceeded your exceptions and memory. I am thrilled to read that you had time to explore our spa and the outdoor jacuzzis with views over the Kenmare Bay and Caha Mountains.

My only hope is that you do not wait another 47 years to return again. Thank you again from all here at Parknasilla and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a self catering townhouse. Clean, well kept. Two bedrooms and two baths. Also had washer and dryer. A short walk to main hotel. Breakfast very good. Rest okay. Lovely hiking trails. Fairy trail even fun for grown up kids. Did not have time to use other facilities.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Autoxer48,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us and found the courtyard lodge to your liking. I am also equally happy that you enjoyed the food offering for breakfast here in the main hotel and the 7 mapped walks that help to guide the 500 acre estate. The fairy trail is one of the most popular attractions here at Parknasilla, both with old and young alike.

My only regret is that you did not have time to try the other facilities on offer. I do hope that you decide to return and try some of these great attractions including our award winning spa, restaurant, spa classes, archery and much much more.

To conclude, thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed in Waterville for a couple of weeks in June and twice took the fantastic 1 hour scenic trip across the mountains along the Kerry Way through the interesting little town of Sneem to the Parknasilla Resort and Spa hotel, just outside the town. Coming from Sneem the entrance is on the right on a dangerous blind bend and is almost invisible if you've never been there before. Perhaps another more visible sign further back the road would be helpful for first time visitors. The hotel is wonderfully situated overlooking a large sea inlet and it's many structured walks are beautifully laid out and a pleasure to use particularly before or even after a good lunch. We lunched in the lounge area and were served by a friendly and charming young lady from Hungary on both occasions. We ordered the hotel's home-made beef burger and fresh salmon, each served with fresh vegetables, followed with ice-cream (three varieties each). It was so delicious we ordered the same on our second visit. I seldom eat burgers as I find inevitably they are machine made lumps of rubber, but Parknasilla's are the real deal, home made, gourmet.
The salmon was equally delicious. We were made very welcome, by exceptionally pleasant Reception and serving staff, ate in a comfortable setting with a glorious sea view and felt under no pressure to 'move along quickly'. We were told that lovely walks in the grounds were available to us and encouraged to visit again. All this for guests who were only 'Casuals', to use the old clichéd hotel term. All in all a wonderful place to eat, at a very reasonable cost, and very likely even a lovely place to stay too. We will be back. Well done Parknasilla, staff and chefs.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Independent66
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Independant66,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and had a pleasant lunch. I am very pleased that all or our​ staff were willing to help and that you found that them friendly and attentive.

I am also very happy that you enjoyed the food offering in the bar. Our kitchen team do work extremely hard to ensure that all our food is delicious and of a very high quality. They will be thrilled to hear that that you enjoyed your meals.

Again to conclude thank you so much for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the hopefully not so distant future.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The fitness instructer Lorna so fabulous fantastic tuition at archery so patient and informative with the kids. The interest and motivation she gives at fitness classes just brilliant felt like personal trainer without the price. A great start to a day and love to be able to work out even on holidays. Had the best Mohijto made by Joe in the bar so fresh( no syrups )will def be back.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank annie b

Dear Annie b,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. Lorna really is a great asset to the hotel and I am so glad that you found her to be so helpful. She really does love the work that she does and this reflects in the quality of her classes. She has a true interest in teaching people. I will also be sure to pass on your regards to Joe in the bar. He really does make a delicious cocktail ​and the perfect way to end the day.

Again to conclude thank you for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the hopefully not so distant future.

Warmest Regards,
Ruth O' Sullivan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
The Brehon
The Brehon
#10 of 38 in Killarney
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!